IGNORED

My short game disappeared this year. Anyone else?

Lugowskins
Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Weather and other circumstances led to me getting a late start to the year so I am only 72 holes in but I've noticed a distinct flip in my game. Last season (my first full year golfing) I was solid around the green chipping and putting were the main reason I got down to averaging rounds in the mid 80s despite being wildly inconsistent off the tee. This season so far, despite putting in about 7 hours or so of strict chipping and putting practice in the past 3 weeks, my short game has gone to sh*t meanwhile my drives have increased by at least 20+ yards, there's been a bump in all my irons and have been more accurate than ever before. I started weightlifting over the winter and have become much stronger (I'm 27 about 6' 215lbs) I'm not sure if that is contributing to the short game issues and I just need more practice to adjust to the amount of touch needed now with the extra muscle or if it is more a mechanical issue but I don't feel I am doing anything different from last year just curious if someone else has had this type of issue and how they went about fixing it. I don't want to try to change the way I chip (learned from the Mickelson short game DVD) but if there is a technique to help with touch maybe I could look into?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• RandallT changed the title to My short game disappeared this year. Anyone else?

Here's a technique for pitching that is promoted on TST: 

Does that differ from yours much? 

At the end of the video, the scrolling text mentions how chipping is similar, so stick through to the end to see how they wrap it up.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Did you change balls by any chance? That could cost you some strokes in the short game, at least for a couple of rounds while you adjust. 

On 6/7/2017 at 0:17 PM, RandallT said:

Here's a technique for pitching that is promoted on TST: 

Does that differ from yours much? 

At the end of the video, the scrolling text mentions how chipping is similar, so stick through to the end to see how they wrap it up.

Yes, this is exactly what I have been trying to do just watching the video I think I may be gripping to tight and trying to force the club head through the ball instead of just letting gravity do the work like the video says. Good link, thanks!

On 6/7/2017 at 0:26 PM, Kalnoky said:

Did you change balls by any chance? That could cost you some strokes in the short game, at least for a couple of rounds while you adjust. 

No same balls as last year wilsons mostly ultra 500s i bought a wilson AAAA bulk box on ebay and they've been good although I havent dabbled with more expensive balls since I'm still prone to losing one every 5 or 6 holes 

So far this year I've begun hitting the dreaded "S" shot on less than full swing pitches. It doesn't happen all the time, and I am at a loss to explain it when it does appear. It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything different, but the ball rockets off to the right!

On 6/7/2017 at 11:18 AM, Lugowskins said:

Weather and other circumstances led to me getting a late start to the year so I am only 72 holes in but I've noticed a distinct flip in my game. Last season (my first full year golfing) I was solid around the green chipping and putting were the main reason I got down to averaging rounds in the mid 80s despite being wildly inconsistent off the tee. This season so far, despite putting in about 7 hours or so of strict chipping and putting practice in the past 3 weeks, my short game has gone to sh*t meanwhile my drives have increased by at least 20+ yards, there's been a bump in all my irons and have been more accurate than ever before. I started weightlifting over the winter and have become much stronger (I'm 27 about 6' 215lbs) I'm not sure if that is contributing to the short game issues and I just need more practice to adjust to the amount of touch needed now with the extra muscle or if it is more a mechanical issue but I don't feel I am doing anything different from last year just curious if someone else has had this type of issue and how they went about fixing it. I don't want to try to change the way I chip (learned from the Mickelson short game DVD) but if there is a technique to help with touch maybe I could look into?

Feel might be a bit numb to begin with but you can work it back. Dont lift before a round. If possible do your workouts after golf that way youll have some time to recover till the next time you play. 

You didint really describe how you struggle so first youd have to identify the problem. If youre struggling with distance you just need to hit more shots its a different approach if youre thin/fat all the time.

On 6/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

So far this year I've begun hitting the dreaded "S" shot on less than full swing pitches. It doesn't happen all the time, and I am at a loss to explain it when it does appear. It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything different, but the ball rockets off to the right!

This was an issue for me for the last several years.  Just like you I felt like I was making a good swing, but the result was about 45° right of my intended line.  Late last season I went through my whole chipping routine and discovered that I wasn't setting my weight on my front (left for me) foot like I was supposed to (and had always done during my years of playing better golf).  Somehow this one piece of the puzzle had gotten lost during my almost 3 year layoff (2012-2014).  As soon as I began making that a key part of my setup once again, the shanks went away and my accuracy returned.  

So far in the 5 competitions I've played in, I've had 3 chip-ins from as far as 20 yards off the green, and many up and downs with zero shanks.  It may not help you, but it's done wonders for my confidence.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yes, sigh.:8) I started out chipping very well (from sand too), and putting horrible (distance). Then as my putting got better, my chipping started to slide. Last week I forgot how to do either (chipped long mostly, even bladed two chips and 3-putted twice). Only had 6 GIR's too (of 18).

So next round should be better, isn't that how golf works? :-P

Edited by Midpack

Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!