IGNORED

Suffer from Back Pain? Try this.

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I have an inversion table but we seldom use it.   Refreshing this thread hopefully will remind me to get my ass in gear.

Do you have back pain ?  Most inversion tables end up like yours, but that is not your fault. They do not come with programs and they need to. Start slow and understand the muscles have to stretch first then the spine will stretch and you will get the full benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had severe lower back pain issues for last couple years, may look into getting this table. The one thing that has helped me incredibly is yoga. Yoga by Adriene on YouTube has a ton of good routines specifically for the back. She also has a yoga for golf routine.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

12 minutes ago, Crim said:

I've had severe lower back pain issues for last couple years, may look into getting this table. The one thing that has helped me incredibly is yoga. Yoga by Adriene on YouTube has a ton of good routines specifically for the back. She also has a yoga for golf routine.

Good idea if you get the table start slowly just like you did with Yoga. The muscles have to adapt to the position. Also the blood is rushing to the head and you have to get used to that. So start slow  with just a few minutes then add time as you get used to it.  You also do not have to go all the way upside down. I have been doing Yoga and using the inversion table for over 20 years

I suggest looking up the works of Professor Stuart McGill. Arguably one of the leading experts on the back and spine. He's got some very clear ideas about what causes back pain and what you can do with it. His track record is also very good and they follow up all their patients.

You can gather a lot of his general ideas through Youtube videos and articles, but if you struggle with chronic back pain without being able to find a lasting fix, he's written a book called Back Mechanic, which is a book written for the lay public with the headline "The sercrets to a healthy spine your doctor isn't telling  you". It's a book where you can assess your own back and what you should do to get out of pain. It will not work on every case out there, but I believe it would help a lot of people.

He has commented on the inversion tables in a clinic: https://youtu.be/IyGaKuSzD_M?t=3035

While acknowleding that it can have an effect on pain, it's not a fix and it doesn't remove the cause of the pain. For those people it helps on, it can relieve pain because you are decompressing parts of the body, but once you are back on your feet, things slowly return to normal. If you could find the pain triggers and avoid them, that would be a better long-term solution. There might even be positions where your pain is better relieved than the table, if you know how to find them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/23/2017 at 10:15 AM, jkelley9 said:

I'm not a doctor, but I believe this is valid. I wouldn't recommend full 180 degree inversion for any length of time but the inversion table things nowadays seem to have a pretty sound reasoning behind them. I've actually been meaning to try one as I feel some of my early back pain is a result of constant compression, as you've said.

I am a doctor. There has been some pretty extensive research to inversion therapy for back pain. Unfortunately long term relief hasn’t been shown by any degree. Also, you should avoid this if you have glaucoma, heart disease or hypertension. Relieving pressure on the spine through inversion has shown some short term relief definitely. But consider the above mentioned.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If you have any disc issues, then there isn't much that is going to give you long term relief. Most people who have surgery to repair a disk end up having issue down the line. Maybe fussing the spine is the best option there for major pain.

If it's more related to muscle spasms. I find swimming and then a stint in the hot tub to keep my back loose. Also, a good bed and a proper pillow help out a lot. Also, losing weight has helped me a lot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

If you have any disc issues, then there isn't much that is going to give you long term relief. Most people who have surgery to repair a disk end up having issue down the line. Maybe fussing the spine is the best option there for major pain.

If it's more related to muscle spasms. I find swimming and then a stint in the hot tub to keep my back loose. Also, a good bed and a proper pillow help out a lot. Also, losing weight has helped me a lot.

I disagree, but also recognize that "disc issues" can span pretty far. I believe a lot more people than today would be able to get rid of most of their pain, often all of it, by being properly assessed, removing movements that isn't helping, and ingraining movements that are helping. Without training or any kind of exercise regime, a lot can be done by simply changing how you move every day. I think that's where the key often lies, not what happens half an hour three times a day at the gym.

Most suggestions in this topic is about pain relief and temporarily removing the stress on the part of the back that's inflamed or hurting. A lot of it works because you are doing acitvities that aren't pushing anything on where it hurts, but that's why it's also just temporary. Once the activity is over, one goes back to the usual movement pattern and after not too long the pain starts again.

McGill uses an analogy which is easy enough to understand. That if you hit your thumb with a hammer every five minutes through the day, not too hard, but enough to make it sore over time, the thumb will soon enough become sensitive and hurt every time you hit it. If you take the comparison further, you could say you got five hammers, each a bit larger and heavier. Throughout the day you hit the thumb with all five hammers at various times. The heaviest hammer could simulate someone doing heavy lifting at the gym with poor form or just doing an exercise which doesn't fit you. Because of the heavy load, it equals a larger hammer. Just bending forward to put on the socks in the morning might be the smallest hammer. If you are able to eliminate as many of those hits as possible during the day, the thumb will heal and get better. It might not be feasible to remove every single hit, but if you went from 50 hits a day to 20, that could have a significant impact on how your thumb feels.

Here's an article he wrote about some myths out there about how to remove the pain and keep it away, taken from his book Back Mechanic: https://www.theptdc.com/2017/04/back-pain-myths/

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

2 hours ago, Zeph said:

I disagree, but also recognize that "disc issues" can span pretty far. I believe a lot more people than today would be able to get rid of most of their pain, often all of it, by being properly assessed, removing movements that isn't helping, and ingraining movements that are helping. Without training or any kind of exercise regime, a lot can be done by simply changing how you move every day. I think that's where the key often lies, not what happens half an hour three times a day at the gym.

Most suggestions in this topic is about pain relief and temporarily removing the stress on the part of the back that's inflamed or hurting. A lot of it works because you are doing acitvities that aren't pushing anything on where it hurts, but that's why it's also just temporary. Once the activity is over, one goes back to the usual movement pattern and after not too long the pain starts again.

McGill uses an analogy which is easy enough to understand. That if you hit your thumb with a hammer every five minutes through the day, not too hard, but enough to make it sore over time, the thumb will soon enough become sensitive and hurt every time you hit it. If you take the comparison further, you could say you got five hammers, each a bit larger and heavier. Throughout the day you hit the thumb with all five hammers at various times. The heaviest hammer could simulate someone doing heavy lifting at the gym with poor form or just doing an exercise which doesn't fit you. Because of the heavy load, it equals a larger hammer. Just bending forward to put on the socks in the morning might be the smallest hammer. If you are able to eliminate as many of those hits as possible during the day, the thumb will heal and get better. It might not be feasible to remove every single hit, but if you went from 50 hits a day to 20, that could have a significant impact on how your thumb feels.

Here's an article he wrote about some myths out there about how to remove the pain and keep it away, taken from his book Back Mechanic: https://www.theptdc.com/2017/04/back-pain-myths/

coming from someone who has cured a herniated disk and a pinched nerve, over 20 years ago, I can assure there are things to do besides having some doctor cut on you. I realize sometimes that is necessary, but only as a last resort. I had doctors tell me the same thing and a Chiropractor tell me I had the worst back he had ever seen, but I kept searching. They were wrong.

Think about it, all day every day we have gravity pushing down on us on one end and then on the other end we walk on cement floors that have no give. It is like being in a vice. What happens over years. The end result is compression of the spine and the answer to compression is decompression. I used inversion, (boots at that time ) and began to invert every day and you know what I learned ? That much of our problem is caused by tight muscles that hold the compressed spine in pace and keep it from stretching. Not one doctor told me that in the 3 years I searched for answers. I found it myself. 

Once I stretched out the muscles in my back, then the spine was able to lengthen and release the impingement that was causing the problem. There is a big difference between a strong muscle and a tight muscle. If the muscles are tight, the rest of the system is threatened. I still invert a few times a  week and do Yoga. Once the muscles are  lengthened, then It only takes some matinince to keep that length.   This has allowed me at 68 to play golf, volleyball, ski and anything else I want to. 

I did find a Chiropractor in California who uses an inversion table in his practice and also does Yoga and is a believer. He and I are going to Collaborate on an ebook about this subject. Believe me there are things you can do.

• Informative 1

Note: This thread is 2051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!