IGNORED

Easy spread sheet to find our weaknesses (Based on stroke gained)

Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been working on an easy spreadsheet to track my rounds and find my weaknesses in order to give them more importance on my practice sessions. It is based on stroke gained analysis but backwards ( let´s call it stroke lost against a pro), it came with an easy (offline) tool to input a new round. Post it here for someone that need one and is lazy to create it on his own or maybe he didn´t know how to do it. 

Below it´s the first page an the most important. You can see your stroke gained over the last 10 rounds divided in categories. Also a comparation between your last 5 rounds and the other 5 rounds in order to see our tendencies and if our changes are improving our game or not.

Score is my gross score for that date. Course rating it´s the rating of the course agaist par, my home course is par 72 and 71,2 rating, so course rating it´s 71,2-72=-0,8.
Rating it´s score - course rating. This info is complementary, not that important.

I divided the stroke gained analysis in 4 categories , and in subcategories each one. In Approach category, long it´s 4,5,6 iron, mid it´s 7,8,9, short it´s Pitch and gap and wedges includes my sand a loft wedge. In putting short it´s inside 10 feet, mid are between 10 feet to 30 feet. And long are putts longer than 30 feet. The other 2 i think they are pretty clear.
For every round i record each area with the tool in page 2.
Below each sub-area, on the top, you can see your average of stroke gained over the last 10 rounds, and below it´s the average for the area.
In my case Long game it´s my worst area with 2 stroke gained lost each round, followed by putting with 1 stroke gained per round. This clearly tell that i need to train more on those areas. Sub areas are important too. The worst sub areas are Driver with 1, wood 0,8, Mid putting 0,6, Mid approach 0,5 and 0,4 on short putt. With this i know specificaly what i need to work on to improve each area. Look that my approach area it´s ok by my mid irons are not good at all, need to work with them too.

Below it´s the comparation between the first 5 rounds against the last 5. I made huge changes on my long game and approach shots and as you can see in the last 5 rounds i improved 0,8 strokes on long game and 0,7 in approach shots. I´m not practicing short game and my putting practice isn´t give me any improvements, so i know i have to try something else. On the rigth below i can see the projected improvement i could get if i keep playing like the last 5 rounds. Above the current stroke lost against a pro.

Page 2 next...

MSJ Stats.xlsx

Page1.gif

Edited by p1n9183
  • Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you think this might be better information than we would get from GameGolf strokes gained analysis? You clearly have done a lot of diligent work in setting it up (kudos for that).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Do you think this might be better information than we would get from GameGolf strokes gained analysis? You clearly have done a lot of diligent work in setting it up (kudos for that).

GameGolf bases their information off information provided by other users. That means that those who don't care for accuracy will skew the baseline to which others are trying to find their strokes gained. I think if you have a glaring weakness it will be shown in the data.

Anything from Every Shot Counts, you will be basing your information off of PGA Tour players during the time frame in which they took the data. The nice thing about GameGolf is that you can compare yourself to golfers who shoot similarly to you.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Below it´s the page 2 with and example of the 2nd round of the first page. It have the same areas and sub areas on page 1 and blank spaces to fill with the strokegained values for each shot. For simplicity instead of managin partial values i multiply them by 100, So a 0,03 stroke gained have to be input as 3.
On the rigth it´s the offline stroke gained tool. You only have to input distance and lie for all the shots in a hole like the example and on the right you can see the stroke gained value for that shot.

In the tool there´s the example of my 18th hole, The hole it´s a par 4 410 yards long, that day played wind assisted. hit driver to the rigth rough (water left) to 105 to the green, hit Sand wedge to 20 feet, 1st putt close to the hole and tap-in for par.
As you can see The driver to the rough lost 0,03 strokes, X 100 = -3. The approach to green gained 0,16 = 16 and so on. Then you take that values and copy them in the column of the subcategory of each club. And like that proceed with the other 17th holes. Yes it´s all manually and you have to remember each shot, for me it´s easy and my memory it´s really not good.
Ones you finish with all the holes you can see for that round the stroke gained for each category and sub category. That day i was on fire with my iron game, specially 130 yards an in. 
Now you have to go to first page and copy/paste the values from the 1st to 9th round a paste in the place of the 2nd to 10th round and erase the values of the 1st round. The you fill it with the values you get in the subcategories in the 2nd round. That´s it, on the first pages the values are recalculared and you can check easy what you need to improve.    

Page2.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Page1.gif

Awesome work.

Quick question before I dive in. On the chart above, you have subheadings under the"Approach" heading of "Putt", "Chip", "Pitch", etc.  Can you clarify that?  I would think that your heading of "To Green" is what I think of as approach shots. 

So maybe just a "lost in translation" thing? And thanks for translating to English for us!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

54 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Thanks!  main reason i find it better it´s because is custom, i only see the stats i want to like the way i want to and all of it in only just one page.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

GameGolf bases their information off information provided by other users. That means that those who don't care for accuracy will skew the baseline to which others are trying to find their strokes gained.

This would be another reason. Maybe one day you are 1 stroke gained worst than a scratch in the driving category and after a month without playing now you see you are 0,5 strokes worst than a scratch in the same category. You get a half stroke better without playing ?? No, the average of the scratch players get worst in that month for driving . You think you get better but you don´t. In the spread sheet the stroke gained values are fixed in the tool so you don´t have this issue.

9 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Awesome work.

Quick question before I dive in. On the chart above, you have subheadings under the"Approach" heading of "Putt", "Chip", "Pitch", etc.  Can you clarify that?  I would think that your heading of "To Green" is what I think of as approach shots. 

So maybe just a "lost in translation" thing? And thanks for translating to English for us!

You are rigth, uploaded an old image i tanslated that part too. Here´s the last one.

In short game: Putting it´s putting from outside the green.
Chip: it´s where I use my pitch wedge around the green, the classic bump and run.
Pitch: loft wedge used with just a bit open face.
Lob: loft wedge with the face way open.
Sand: everything from a greenside bunker.

I consider short game inside 50 yards, outside it´s a wedge from approach to green category (or iron play).

Page1_Upd.gif

Page 3 it´s an historic view of your average index rounds grouped by 3 months. You can easily see if you are improving over the month/years.  

Something i forgot to say is that it´s better to keep track of the rounds played in the same course one after another. Why ? because your stroke gained would be a lot different if you play at bethpage black after the PGA championship than at the easiest muni of your town despite playing the same level of golf. 150 yards shot from the fairway to a big receiving green it´s not as difficult as a 150 yards shot to a small green with hard green sourrounded by water in one side and deep bunkers in the other. Same as pitching from tall rough into hard fast greens than chipping from ligth rough to soft slow greens. 
As you can see i only include round at my home course San Patricio Golf. If the course and the stroke gained reference don´t change, the only way to lower your stroke gained value is that you get better and score better in the same course.

This last page is easy, you only have to add new scores on the top left and add it to the average values for the interval of the year you are at in order to see it on the chart.

That´s it ! Hope it helps.    

Page3.gif

• iacas changed the title to Easy spread sheet to find our weaknesses (Based on stroke gained)
Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!