IGNORED

My Swing (Rsuslow)

Rsuslow
Note: This thread is 2227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A little about me, or at least the last year.

I used to shoot mid to low 90's, showing improvement.  Last year, I don't know what happened, but I lost it all.  I lost 20-30 yards on all my clubs.  My 8 Iron used to be my money club.  I could hit it dead straight 150 yards on a stock shot.  When I lost my swing, I struggled to get it 130 most of the time.  My other irons were never as accurate, but I knew my distances, and saw the loss on those as well.  My driver was an average of 240, now I struggle to get it 210-220 (this is assuming no wind).  The only thing that remained consistent and something that was improving was my short game from around the greens.

I started taking lessons in October with a local guy.  He's a great guy, and he is a good teacher.  But, he has started to focus more on his golf career and has cut back lessons and will soon head to or try to head to Q School.  The lessons have been working......when I'm there.  I get home or on the course and it's all gone.  He told me my plane was super shallow and I hang back.  I also think there is more, we just haven't reached that point.

So here I am.  Looking for the advice of this fine forum.  I am also considering one of the online pro's I've seen mentioned around.

I've been Playing Golf for: 25 years, mostly off an on.  About 6 or 7 of those were serious golf years, 4 of them being the years leading to now.
My current handicap index or average score is: I average high 90's.  I have my share of rounds going over 100.  My lowest is an 84 at a local course that has been known to be a challenge for me.
My typical ball flight is: 

• Driver:  I've fought a straight slice/banana slice for years and years.  Recently I've seen a pull mixed in.  I also struggle to hit the ball past 220 now, when I used to average around 240 in no-wind conditions.
  • 3 Wood:  This is a mixed bag.  I struggle to make solid contact, but when I do, it's a straight slice/banana slice.  I used to hit this about 220, now I struggle to get it over 190-195.
  • Hybrid:  This is also a mixed bag.  I struggle making solid contact.  When I do, it could be either a pull or a slice.  I used to hit this about 210, now I struggle to get it 180
  • Irons:  Either a slice or a pull.  I really have been struggling making solid contact with my irons.  I have found myself hitting the toe a lot.  Sometimes I shank it off the hozel.
  • Wedges:  My wedge game is usually on point.  But lately, I have been finding myself shanking it off the hozel.  

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: 

• Driver:  Slice and Pull
  • 3 Wood:  Poor contact and slice
  • Hybrid:  Poor contact
  • Irons:  Poor contact
  • Wedges:  Shank

I have put a few videos below of my Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid, 5 Iron, 7 Iron, 8 Iron, PW and 52 Wedge.  Each video has a face on and down the line view in full speed and 20% speed.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to review!

Videos: 

Driver

3 Wood

Hybrid/Rescue

5 Iron

7 Iron

8 Iron 

PW

52 Sand Wedge

Worked a little more on getting forward and making solid contact.

I don't feel it's been working well.  I'm not hitting my distances and I can't figure out why.

Looking at this Video, here is what I can tell....

Setup....Feet closed, shoulders open

5973e026b1149_SetupDriver.PNG.d1ef90dfbfbdbe16a6dd500e788d0f7c.PNG

Top of Backswing, I try to be 90 degrees to my spine with my arms

5973e00874ecb_TopofBackswingDriver.PNG.1e33dcc9083a83866e76575af7233113.PNG

Down swing, I early extend or thrust my hips forward.  My hands look on plane, but my club head looks outside, does this mean I need more lag??

5973e0217ffdd_DownSwingDriver.PNG.fb2a651351eb425512cc0b7168d743ad.PNG

Impact, I look hunched over and still have my hind end off the wall

5973e02451c3c_ImpactDriver.PNG.3d264e9a1aa78d630529dfacfe424274.PNG

I'm sure there is much more, but this is what I can see with my untrained eye.

Played yesterday and brought along my camera to get a few videos of my swing.

A few things popped out to me.  I look extremely tight with my driver, and I'm still cutting across the ball with my irons.  I can't understand the cut across because it really feels like I'm coming from the inside.

Here is a face on and down the line view of my driver:

Here is my Eight Iron with the cut across the ball.

• Administrator

Learn to turn your shoulders in a circle.

01.jpg02.jpg

You turn too flat, and then when you "dive" back down with your right shoulder, it pitches the club out and over.

Videos like this may help:

You should be able to see the ball better, too, if you can do this.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great information, iacas. Thank you.

I am going to have to pull out a mirror and start to get the feel of where my shoulders should be.

I think I'm also going to have to start stretching so it doesn't feel uncomfortable and easier to do more naturally.

• 8 months later...

So I've been working hard on fixing my swing.  But, everything I do, including the suggestions here don't seem to be working.  I gave up on my instructor because he was trying to make me feel things that seemed impossible to feel.

Lately, I've been hitting in my back yard and started hitting flush shots.  I couldn't see ball flight since it was into a net, but most shots felt extremely pure.

I head out to the course this weekend felling super confident and it was just a mess.  Nothing was working.  I couldn't seem to duplicate the swing I was feeling.

I still slice the hell out of the driver, I still can't make pure contact with my irons, and I am still seeing the 20-30 yard loss on all my clubs.

The only thing I can think of, and what I've been working on, is that I'm coming over the top.  I've tried all the drills online and everywhere else, but I can't seem to get my body to do it. 

Any ideas?

9 hours ago, Rsuslow said:

So I've been working hard on fixing my swing.  But, everything I do, including the suggestions here don't seem to be working.  I gave up on my instructor because he was trying to make me feel things that seemed impossible to feel.

Lately, I've been hitting in my back yard and started hitting flush shots.  I couldn't see ball flight since it was into a net, but most shots felt extremely pure.

I head out to the course this weekend felling super confident and it was just a mess.  Nothing was working.  I couldn't seem to duplicate the swing I was feeling.

I still slice the hell out of the driver, I still can't make pure contact with my irons, and I am still seeing the 20-30 yard loss on all my clubs.

The only thing I can think of, and what I've been working on, is that I'm coming over the top.  I've tried all the drills online and everywhere else, but I can't seem to get my body to do it. 

Any ideas?

You are still turning pretty flat per Erik's previous post. I also notice that on your downswing your back shoulder is staying up and rotating out. This is causing or is in unison with your left elbow staying above your right arm in the downswing. This effect could be contributing to your over-the-top swing.

Without a down-the-line view, it is harder to see if there are other issues. That being said, take a look at Jason Dufner's swing below. Watch how his right elbow (the back elbow) stays down and moves down, around his torso and stays under his left arm in the downswing. This is called 'pitch elbow' and it is a feel that you can use to help improve the downswing path.

I just happen to be working on this very feel with my lessons now. Remember to start practicing with slow swings and partial swings to dial in the feel. Do simulated swings in front of a mirror if you can too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Wow, I assume that's a drill? Or does he really keep his elbow pinned there?

Regardless, I am going to try and do that in my backyard tonight.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Rsuslow said:

Wow, I assume that's a drill? Or does he really keep his elbow pinned there?

Regardless, I am going to try and do that in my backyard tonight.

Not a drill, no.

It's more about your turn being "flat" (my previous post), and then your forearms rotating over which steepens the shaft and throws the sweet spot out.

You need to actually work on something and change something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've tried to make the back swing at more of an angle, but it feels uncomfortable and I end up on the down swing, digging the club about a foot behind the ball. Is it one of those things where I just need to keep doing it for it to feel comfortable and progress?

1 minute ago, Rsuslow said:

Is it one of those things where I just need to keep doing it for it to feel comfortable and progress?

Any major change in your swing is going to be like this. It's going feel uncomfortable because it's different than what you're used to. If something new feels comfortable, you're probably not doing it right.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, Rsuslow said:

I've tried to make the back swing at more of an angle, but it feels uncomfortable and I end up on the down swing, digging the club about a foot behind the ball. Is it one of those things where I just need to keep doing it for it to feel comfortable and progress?

Yes. But do it slowly at first. You can't make changes at full speed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!