IGNORED

Are you supposed to feel the shaft and clubhead in a golf swing?

Note: This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hard to explain, but what is the sensation when you swing the club? Do you actually feel and swing the clubhead?  Should the grip/hands, shaft, and clubhead be basically connected and just an extension of another?  Or, is it a longer version of the "painting" pitch that is advocated on this website, where the shaft feels dead, and you try to paint with your clubhead.  I imagine that people who swing with the clubhead may be early extenders, but does that mean you should pretend the clubhead isn't there? 

17 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Hard to explain, but what is the sensation when you swing the club? Do you actually feel and swing the clubhead?  Should the grip/hands, shaft, and clubhead be basically connected and just an extension of another?  Or, is it a longer version of the "painting" pitch that is advocated on this website, where the shaft feels dead, and you try to paint with your clubhead.  I imagine that people who swing with the clubhead may be early extenders, but does that mean you should pretend the clubhead isn't there? 

Everyone is aware on some level where the club head is during the swing but that doesn't necessarily mean you "feel" it. Feels are going to vary from player to player. I tend to feel the swing more with my body and just let the club react to that.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The shaft does not feel "dead" in the pitch. And the weight of the club head is usually very much a sensation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've read your supposed to feel where the clubhead is during the swing. I lose that sense early in the takeaway. But I've never had that sensation in over 50 years, especially on the downswing.

I can't say I really feel the clubhead in full swings, although its obvious that we all have a sense of where the clubhead is.  If we didn't "know" where the clubhead is, we'd never make clean centered strikes.  I do get a feeling for the clubhead on certain pitch shots, feeling it brush the grass on practice swings.  I think this feel is like all feels, its going to vary from one player to the next.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!