IGNORED

Wedges???

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For a weekend golfer that is actively striving to get better, is it advantageous to get wedges other than the standards that come with the set of irons?  Would l even notice a difference?

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Not sure I understand what your are asking.

Looking at your signature, it appears you have a bunch of wedges already.  So I am guessing you are asking if you should switch those out for different wedges?  Is that right?

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's correct, thanks

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

While it is true there are a lot of wedges, I don't know that I would swap them out.  At least not at this point.  

Where are the majority of your shots coming from on the course?  Would better wedges really help, or more accurate approach shots to get on the green?

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

I think you would be hard pressed to find four wedges that fit your sets profile as well as the clubs that are already in it.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

4 hours ago, Piz said:

I think you would be hard pressed to find four wedges that fit your sets profile as well as the clubs that are already in it.  

I agree here. At your skill set those wedges are plenty fine. Unless you have some extra money and just want new ones, I guess get them but I am sure you will see little difference in performance at this point. I used my ping wedges when I had the I10s. The only thing that I didn't like was how close the loft was with the UW to the PW or SW. I can't remember which one it was. I never ended up using it. I don't know if your set is like that. I really liked the ping SW though.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

@cnl390,

How's it going? Haven't seen you much lately.

As for switching out wedges, it's all  a matter of preference. Ping makes decent wedges, and the fact they match with the iron set makes for good transition in distance, club to club.

If you find that you cannot make certain short shots because of the wedge structure, then you might have a reason to switch. But, if the Ping G wedges work OK, and you're hoping for some miraculous improvement, probably not a good idea to switch.

There of plenty of scratch golfers who set up their wedge shots with a square face, and don't try anything fancy.

Remember, it takes extra practice time to more out of some of the unusual wedge grinds than you get out of basic, straight-on wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

@cnl390,

How's it going? Haven't seen you much lately.

As for switching out wedges, it's all  a matter of preference. Ping makes decent wedges, and the fact they match with the iron set makes for good transition in distance, club to club.

If you find that you cannot make certain short shots because of the wedge structure, then you might have a reason to switch. But, if the Ping G wedges work OK, and you're hoping for some miraculous improvement, probably not a good idea to switch.

There of plenty of scratch golfers who set up their wedge shots with a square face, and don't try anything fancy.

Remember, it takes extra practice time to more out of some of the unusual wedge grinds than you get out of basic, straight-on wedges.

Good to hear from you again.  I haven't posted any questions lately because the pro I have been seeing doesn't want me to listen to anyone or try anything I see on TV.  He has improved my game a lot & I have dropped my handicap by 7 strokes 

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

30 minutes ago, cnl390 said:

the pro I have been seeing doesn't want me to listen to anyone or try anything I see on TV.

Sound advice if you're making major changes in your swing. Just follow one model until it sets in.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!