IGNORED

Choosing a shaft for the NEW Titleist Irons

Note: This thread is 2433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I hope everyone reading this is having a great day thus far.  I'm a PGA Member and 7 year Titleist Club/Ball staff member. I've experimented with different shaft/head combo's but would like some input from your experience.  I'm a scratch golfer with moderate to highish club head speed. My 7 iron speed is 91-95 depending on the day and my driver is 111-115.  I've played anywhere from full MB's to a combo of TM-B/AP2.  The last few sets I've had were AP2's with PXi 6.0 (felt soft), Steelfiber (bad idea) and most recent DG X100 (feel good but heavy).  I tend to hit the ball HIGH (110-130 ft high w/ 7 iron) but spin with the X100 is 6500-7000.  What I'm going to do this go around will most likely be MB/CB combo or all CB.  I play 4 (strong)-PW, 50,54,58 and 19 degree H2 set at 20.  I'm even considering the new AP3 in a 4 iron to close the gap.  My current 4 iron carries 215ish can squeeze 220 bu it's tough.  The hybrid flies an easy 235-240 carry. 

Here are my thoughts:

-Project X LZ or PXi 6.5, KBS Tour V, C-Taper or Tour FLT, DG 120 X100 or NS PRO Modus Tour 120

-4-6 CB, 7-PW MB

-4 AP3, 5-PW CB

-4-PW CB

-H2 21 degree with Diamana 90 X or Speeder 904

I know there is a lot of options but I want to try everything and make sure I'm getting exactly what I want and need. Please let me know your thoughts or let me know if more info is needed to provide some support.

Thanks,

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

Nippon. Pro Modus Tour 120.  If u have a late release look at the 130.

I'm a +3 with similar speed numbers as u but I have a smooth transition and not a late release.  I was fit into the Modus 105 stiff.  Speed wise an x would have been fine but I tried them for a month and consistency was horrible..something the fitter said he thought would happen.  I went back to stiff.

I also wanted the 105.  The 120 would have been ok too but being in my mid 50's I wanted to transition to lighter if I could.

I do hit it high but with little spin. 7 iron is around 180 with around 5500 spin.  I like that because the wind doesn't affect it much and the ball pretty much is drop and stop.  Wedge is next to or maybe a foot behind its pitchmark.  6 iron rolls out maybe 5 feet.  Side to side dispersion is minimal.

I had a set if TM mc/mb irons with PXI 6.0 and it was awful.  Either too soft or just kicked wrong but I never hit the ball so far left in my life.

In any case, the smooth feel everyone talks about with a Nippon shaft is true.  I was skeptical...but it's true.  I would never buy a set of steel shafts that were not Nippon.  

Thinking a bit more on the Nippon 120...You hit it high but the Nippons will spin less than what u get now, so thats a good thing.  Also hardstepping/ softstepping the 120  is something to look into.

I get afraid a heavy shaft could lead to some tired swings at the end of a  round.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

Nippon. Pro Modus Tour 120.  If u have a late release look at the 130.

I'm a +3 with similar speed numbers as u but I have a smooth transition and not a late release.  I was fit into the Modus 105 stiff.  Speed wise an x would have been fine but I tried them for a month and consistency was horrible..something the fitter said he thought would happen.  I went back to stiff.

I also wanted the 105.  The 120 would have been ok too but being in my mid 50's I wanted to transition to lighter if I could.

I do hit it high but with little spin. 7 iron is around 180 with around 5500 spin.  I like that because the wind doesn't affect it much and the ball pretty much is drop and stop.  Wedge is next to or maybe a foot behind its pitchmark.  6 iron rolls out maybe 5 feet.  Side to side dispersion is minimal.

I had a set if TM mc/mb irons with PXI 6.0 and it was awful.  Either too soft or just kicked wrong but I never hit the ball so far left in my life.

In any case, the smooth feel everyone talks about with a Nippon shaft is true.  I was skeptical...but it's true.  I would never buy a set of steel shafts that were not Nippon.  

Thinking a bit more on the Nippon 120...You hit it high but the Nippons will spin less than what u get now, so thats a good thing.  Also hardstepping/ softstepping the 120  is something to look into.

I get afraid a heavy shaft could lead to some tired swings at the end of a  round.

Thanks for the information. I prefer to use the pivot with less hand release. I'll try the Modus as I've heard good things. I've had good success with multiple shafts but want something in the 110-120gr range. I just don't care for how heavy the DG x100 feels.

Thanks again!

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

3 hours ago, coop6 said:

I know there is a lot of options but I want to try everything and make sure I'm getting exactly what I want and need. Please let me know your thoughts or let me know if more info is needed to provide some support.

For me, KBS make the best golf shafts. I found there to be a difference in feel compared to something like Dynamic Gold. Project X was a close 2nd, but KBS still reigns as the best iron shaft I've tried. I would be interested in seeing what Nippon are like compared to KBS. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

As a PGA member in Atlanta, I would think you would have access to a Titleist club fitter or an independent club fitter. I would rely on their advice rather than a bunch of guys on here. Intentions are probably good, but someone that can actually watch you swing, and see your ball flight would probably be a lot better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/5/2017 at 11:51 AM, saevel25 said:

For me, KBS make the best golf shafts. I found there to be a difference in feel compared to something like Dynamic Gold. Project X was a close 2nd, but KBS still reigns as the best iron shaft I've tried. I would be interested in seeing what Nippon are like compared to KBS. 

I've never had KBS before but have tried it. Not that I hated it, just didn't seem better than what I was currently using. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks 

On 8/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, caniac6 said:

As a PGA member in Atlanta, I would think you would have access to a Titleist club fitter or an independent club fitter. I would rely on their advice rather than a bunch of guys on here. Intentions are probably good, but someone that can actually watch you swing, and see your ball flight would probably be a lot better.

I'm going to have a Titleist fitter watch me, plus I'm a good fitter. I was mearly seeing what folks had to say about all of the shafts above. The only issue is that they won't have all of those shafts available. I'll hit what they have and make an educated decision. I already know I like the DG X100 but want something a little lights. I've had great success with the PXi which is much later without being too light. I'm very excited to hit the new heads. I'm looking forward to going back to the Cb or Cb/Mb combo. Thanks 

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

I'm looking forward to the new Titleist irons, too. I have always liked the AP1s, but did not like the fact that they had three wedges. The AP3s might be just the ticket. That being said, I've played Ping irons since 1986 with good results. Good luck.

Being a Titleist guy, have you tried the Dynamic Gold AMT? It is for a mid-tempo swing, has low flight and medium spin. It comes in S400 and X100.

I did hit the S400 AMT at a Titleist demo day in the AP2 irons. It felt good, but it's just too much shaft for me.  A  local pro and a single-digit club member both said they liked the AMT.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:02 AM, coop6 said:

Steelfiber (bad idea)

If I may ask, what was the problem with the Steelfiber? I've heard they play a bit stiff to shaft weight, and I thought that might fit your game.

Can you tell us how Steelfiber shafts play, and what type of golfer might like them/ who should avoid them?

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2017 at 11:51 AM, saevel25 said:

I've never had KBS before but have tried it. Not that I hated it, just didn't seem better than what I was currently using. I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks 

On 8/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, caniac6 said:

I'm going to have a Titleist fitter watch me, plus I'm a good fitter. I was mearly seeing what folks had to say about all of the shafts above. The only issue is that they won't have all of those shafts available. I'll hit what they have and make an educated decision. I already know I like the DG X100 but want something a little lights. I've had great success with the PXi which is much later without being too light. I'm very excited to hit the new heads. I'm looking forward to going back to the Cb or Cb/Mb combo. Thanks 

well...... I went with 718 CB 4/5, MB 6-PW. I ended up going with the Project X PXi 6.5, std length and 1 degree up. The clubs feel so good! 

The shaft delighted the best and I enjoyed the weight much better. I was swinging my 7 iron 93-95 and the ball was going 182-185 with std loft and I ordered them 1 degree strong and my 4 iron is 2 strong. 

I ended up getting the H2 21 degree hybrid as the 19 went way too far. I selected the Tensei White 90X. It carried 240-245 which is still a touch too far compared to my 4 iron but not bad. This hybrid/shaft combo is so hard to hook which I like. 

Titleist did did a wonderful job with the new clubs and highly recommend getting a set and/or hybrid.

Thanks for everyone's help!

PGA Class A member

MORAD advocate

Titleist club player

Note: This thread is 2433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!