Sign in to follow this  
MrSandman

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

271 posts / 30801 viewsLast Reply

I never have on the course or the range. I listen to music in the car at home and at work, I dont need it while golfing.

Yea I do pretty often, my uncle and his buddies up in oak island have captains choice tournaments every week.  A lot of times I'll ride up and play and he always has his ipod hooked up to a portable iHome.  I think it helps my game honestly as long as you're not playing it too loud.

I have never listened to music on the course and can't imagine doing so. I enjoy the sounds of the game (wildlife, the carts, the club+ball impact, the grass, the water, the wind, etc. etc. etc.). Golf is not golf to me with anything suppressing the sounds of the game.

On top of that, I like the conversations and laughing with friends/family out there.

Golf requires concentration.  Music is an unnecessary distraction.  I like the ambiance of being out there -  the sounds of the game and my companions and Mother Nature - isn't that enough?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its just fine to listen to music just as long as its at a respectable level and doesn't interfere with others on the course. I do listen to music while playing, especially if I'm playing alone. Its not like its so loud you cant have conversations with your playing partners or hear mother nature (the sound of the grass HA your killing me). Who the hell are you guys golfing with that cranks the music up so loud that you cant talk to each other? Sorry but I could say that the birds all of a sudden chirping is more a distraction then soft music constantly playing. I have portable ipod speakers that i put n the "glovebox" of the cart or clip to my bag if I'm walking. I keep the volume low enough to where you only hear it while in the cart. No one on the course other than me can hear it, and if I'm playing with friends I ask them before hand if they mind and no one ever has. I live in the country so hearing the "sounds of nature" is normal for me.  I don't live in a city so no sirens or horns honking. It is not distracting at all, I paint houses for a living and listen to music or talk radio all day while working and its never broke my concentration or disturbed me. If music was a disturbance there's noway us construction workers could do our work without being distracted. Every job site Ive been on and will go on has music playing. So does just about every office you visit. Maybe weaker minds or people that aren't used to working or doing activities with music could startle or distract them. But you yourself determines what a distraction is, if you let something be a distraction it will become one. Golf (just like alot of things in life) are more mental than physical. Altho there is a level of volume that could make it distracting but i believe that's where being mature and common courtesy comes in. Its not ok to play rap music or pantera on a job site, nore is it ok to blast any music. For me music is soothing, not a distraction. That damn squirrel running infront of me as I'm about to make an approach shot is more of a distraction than music playing softly. I think the whole thing about playing music is to each their own but just like in life you have to be courteous and respectful to your neighbors. Its the people who just don't care about anyone in society but themselves that are the ones blasting there boom boxes on the course. It all comes down to being a good human being and putting others before yourself.

I generally do not listen while either at the range or on the course, I find it can be difficult to concentrate with music going (I have had some cartners who throw on music between holes).  The only exception I have had to date is a round that I walked by myself recently.  It was hot, and I was alone on the course, the music kept me company between shots, but I killed the music when I was swinging.

You know this is an interesting question.  I listen to music all day while I work, so I'm definitely used to listening in the background and while staying focused.

I don't listen to music when I play or practice, but I ALWAYS have some stupid song stuck in my head on the course.  Maybe if I could pick a few songs to practice with, then get those stuck in my head during a round, I'll have an easier time concentrating.  And I won't risk having some pop song in my head ruining everything.

What are your thoughts on music playing while on the golf course. My group does it ... It's not load, can't really hear it unless your within a few feet of the cart. I do admit that if it is load enough for other players on the course to hear, then I am against it ... So let's hear what you think, as I am sure there different opinions ...

I've been playing for 3 years now and have never once heard any music on the course so can't really comment with any authority. I'd assume that as long as its not travelling away from your immediate area then there is no problem, but then I've seen people lose it about all sorts of minor distractions that I wouldn't even notice (normally after a poor drive ;))

The only time I've seen anything like this is when someone is wearing ear buds to listen to their music. To be honest part of my enjoyment for the game comes from how peaceful it is out on the course, apart from the very many f bombs hurled when I miss hit the ball that is! :) Regards Mailman

I can only think of one instance where I have ever encountered music on the course. There was a group of guys on 17 when I was playing the 12th hole with a stereo. I kind of did a double take because I wasn't expecting it, but then I shrugged and commented to one of my partners, "I guess they're having a good time." I teed off pretty early, so they must have got there at the crack of dawn. Didn't bother me whatsoever. There should be an "indifferent" option in the poll.

The only time I've seen anything like this is when someone is wearing ear buds to listen to their music.

To be honest part of my enjoyment for the game comes from how peaceful it is out on the course, apart from the very many f bombs hurled when I miss hit the ball that is! :)

Regards

Mailman

This is what I like.

It's rare enough that its not a big issue for me, but I've definitely seen it. Generally, its been weekend afternoons at the public courses I play. Really, it so crowded under those circumstances that peace and quiet has no chance anyway.

Still, the preference would be no music.

Wouldn't matter to me either way, I'm REALLY good at tuning out noises, just ask my wife!  My hearing isn't what it used to be, which is a bless and a curse, but on the course I could tune out music, just like talking while I'm hitting has never bothered me either.  That being said, if you screamed in a bullhorn on my downswing I would flinch, but normal talking while I'm hitting has no effect on me.

There should be an "indifferent" option in the poll.

Agree ... One of my first threads started ... So still learning, and now I am not smart enough to add it ... Thanks, that was good constructive feedback.

Think I mentioned this on another thread but I believe those who haven't seen it yet soon will. I went into the PGA Store some months ago and was hit with a huge display of Bluetooth speakers designed specifically for golf carts as I entered. Becoming quite popular here in DFW. I play music, as do some of my buds and run across others doing it maybe every other round.