IGNORED

Pinehurst to open The Cradle, New 9-hole Short Course late September

iacas
Note: This thread is 1454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

VILLAGE OF PINEHURST, N.C. (September 7, 2017) - Upon seeing the first golf course built in Pinehurst, founder James Walker Tufts was struck by how naturally the game fit into the landscape in front of him. “Golf experts and all those who cherish the hope of becoming such will find excellent opportunity to indulge in the game at Pinehurst," Tufts remarked wistfully in 1898.

On September 30, nearly 120 years after golf arrived at Pinehurst, the historic resort will open The Cradle, a nine-hole short course that even the newest to the game can enjoy. Designed by golf architect Gil Hanse, The Cradle, at 789 yards, features holes ranging from 56 to 127 yards. Mere steps from the Resort Clubhouse, it is the same area where, in 1898, Dr. Leroy Culver carved the first nine holes out of the sand at Pinehurst. Over the next century, Pinehurst came to be referred to as the Cradle of American Golf. 

“Pinehurst’s place in golf goes back almost as far as the time the game was first introduced in America,” says Pinehurst Owner and CEO Bob Dedman Jr. “As we embark on the latest era at Pinehurst, it’s symbolic that our newest course sits on the same ground as the original first holes of golf at Pinehurst. We look forward to watching players of all ages and all abilities enjoy golf at The Cradle.”

Hanse’s design incorporates the native sandscape and wiregrass common to the original courses of Pinehurst. With holes that meander along the rolling terrain, The Cradle’s greens subtly blend into the surrounding landscape and are protected by rough-hewn bunkers, all features that have long been hallmarks of Pinehurst golf.

“The beauty of golf at Pinehurst is that it is very natural, traditional and classic, especially architecturally,” says Hanse, whose restoration credits include projects at The Country Club, Los Angeles Country Club, Merion Golf Club and Oakland Hills Country Club as well as the original design work of The Olympic Golf Course in Brazil. “That Pinehurst character, we believe, permeates through The Cradle. These nine little golf holes are on a historic piece of land, and we feel like each hole has its own identity that fosters the creativity golfers have enjoyed here for more than a century.”

Greens fees for The Cradle are $50 this fall, and will vary seasonably. Kids 17 and under play free when accompanied by a paying adult, and resort guests may book tee times in advance. Public tee times are available 24 hours in advance. Tee times can be made by calling 1-800-ITS-GOLF.

Bordering The Cradle will be Pinehurst’s expanded putting course Thistle Dhu, which surrounds the Putter Boy statue. At 75,000 square feet, the new Thistle Dhu is four times larger than the original putting course built in 2012, with rolling hills and sweeping valleys sure to delight golfers of all kinds. Thistle Dhu, which will open in early October, will be free to play.

The Cradle logo features the Golf Lad, an iconic figure featured in original advertising for the resort and most recently used in the logo for the U.S. Opens and U.S. Amateur Championships at Pinehurst. In the Cradle logo, the Lad is shown resting comfortably in the nook of the letter “C”.

“Like the Putter Boy, who now overlooks play on The Cradle, the Golf Lad has been a lasting symbol of the genuine joy and passion for golf at Pinehurst since the game arrived,” says Pinehurst President Tom Pashley. “We hope golfers will share those same feelings on a short course designed to be fun and challenging while at the same time inspiring others to take up the game we all love.”

The opening of The Cradle and expansion of Thistle Dhu are two elements of a multiyear plan Pinehurst unveiled in November 2016. Following the successful opening of the Deuce, a new tavern overlooking the 18th hole of Pinehurst No. 2, Pinehurst announced it hired Hanse to build the short course and begin a redesign of Pinehurst No. 4. Hanse will break ground on the No. 4 redesign in October.

The Cradle_.jpgThe Cradle Logo.jpgTheCradle scorecard.pngPinehurstShortCourse_Rendering.jpg

That looks fantastic!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is the area that was once the opening holes of the #3 and #5 courses, and was used as the driving range for the US Opens held there.  I'll be interested to give it a look in October.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I really like this.  They have taken on the look and feel of #2, which I really like.  Looks really cool and could be a lot of fun.  $50 seems steep for a 9-hole course...even for Pinehurst.  I do love the fact that kids and under play for free with a paying adult.  That makes it feel a bit more reasonable.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I really like this.  They have taken on the look and feel of #2, which I really like.  Looks really cool and could be a lot of fun.  $50 seems steep for a 9-hole course...even for Pinehurst.  I do love the fact that kids and under play for free with a paying adult.  That makes it feel a bit more reasonable.

Dave, I'll be your kid. I'll split the $50 cost with you and you can adopt me for the day. Deal?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

https://www.pinehurst.com/news/numbers-cradle-rocks/

It's doing pretty well.

I had a blast.

Pretty sure @cipher and @mvmac had a good time, too. :-)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I had a blast.

Pretty sure @cipher and @mvmac had a good time, too. :-)

Loved it. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah, a couple of us at the Newport Cup were talking about trying to play it on Saturday after the final round, but that didn't happen. Just means I have another reason to get back there... :whistle:

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Hmmm.

TheCradle_mast1200x550.jpg

On the land where the first golf holes at Pinehurst were carved lies The Cradle, a fun and challenging 789-yard short course that even the newest to the game can enjoy....

image.png

I was quoted prices of $20 and $15 for @NatalieB to play the Cradle with me, and ultimately charged $65 ($50 and $15) for the two of us to play together. When I asked (after being quoted $20) why my daughter wasn't free, I was told "that's only for resort guests."

But the site says nothing about that, and I am fairly certain this is a change, because I know of kids who played free with adults in 2017, at least. And perhaps even in December of 2019 when I was last here.

So, apparently kids now pay either $15 or $20 to play the Cradle? That's disappointing, and false advertising.

Pinehurst has not replied to my tweet:

Note: This thread is 1454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!