IGNORED

Getting into Golf and got Cobra Clubs, What to do Next?

JRod4928
Note:Β This thread is 2409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm looking for some feedback and direction on where to go from here! Thanks for any input.

I'm 30, average height/weight,Β and have golfed maybe 1 time a year for the past 15 years. Baseball swing tendencies galore. Most of my golfing was done at age 13-15. I've had the same clubs since I was 13, and even they were used when I first got them.... so I figured it was time for an upgrade. I see a lot more golf in my future due to work, friends, etc.. I've gone 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and I'll be going a lot more often. Hopefully around 15 to 20 times a year... figured it was time to get new clubs! ... On my best day, I'll shoot double digits, but I'm usually in the 100-110 range (not good). My best drive is about 290, but more consistently around 260-270 (with a slice), so I was looking for a forgiving set (both on the wallet and on the course).

For $900, I pieced together this set... I think I did pretty good for a set of NEW clubs. Of course I could have gone used, but I wanted new, and I wanted Cobra for some reason (probablyΒ marketing), and I got the green light from my wife!

Cobra F7 Driver, 5W, 3H, and 4H (most were on clearance, or else I would have gone with F6 clubs)

Cobra F6 5i-PW+GW + Nike Method Putter, and a LW from my old set.

Anyway - how can I keep working on my game during the winter? I probably have a month or 2 of OK weather before I have to shut it down for the year (Pennsylvania). Lessons I'm sure are a good idea (perhaps in the spring)?

Thanks!

Edited by JRod4928

My goal for golf is to have fun, enjoy time with friends, network for work, and be outside. I'm not trying to impress anyone or enter in tournaments, but I'm naturally competitive and at a minimum I'd like to at least see improvement in my game while having a good time. When I was younger I cared a lot more about my score and got frustrated at golf. Now, I appreciate just being out and having a good time - though I'd still like to know the swing basics and improve my game :)

Welcome to TST! Good to hear you have the chance to increase your golf play. As for your clubs...

Cobra F6 irons ended up in the Game Improvement category; given how far you hit the ball you should be OK with them. F6 reviews noted the irons have slightly different head designs up and down the line, to meet the demands of long irons vs. short irons.

Cobra drivers and long clubs have a good reputation. I especially liked their FlyZ driver from a couple of years back, one of my top three favorites at the time.

I play a FlyZ 4 hybrid, it's usually my go-to club for longer approaches and tight tee shots on evil short par 4s.

Be aware that the Cobra long clubs have slightly heavier shafts than average; so if you're on the line between one flex and another, probably go with the gentler flex. But, test this out on the launch monitor and find out for sure.

Note: Pick up a sand wedge if possible; doesn't have to be new, just decent grooves.

As for winter lessons: if you can find an indoor lesson place with a good pro, you can get a jump on next year. Although hitting off of mats is not ideal, it's better than nothing. You can sense if the shot was a little fat on contact. If a golf shop is deserted on a winter's day, sometimes you can rent a half hour on the launch monitor and hit some balls. The shop can give you an idea of when hitting stall dead time will be.

Where in Pennsylvania do you live? The head TST guy Erik operates outΒ of Erie.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are a few indoor golf "clubs" around where I live. Β They have hitting bays, simulators, gym equipment, teaching pros, trainers, clubs fitters, and hangout areas. Β Some have membership dues, some are pay by service, some are both. Β You might want to see if there is anything like that in your area.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Welcome to TST! Good to hear you have the chance to increase your golf play. As for your clubs...

Cobra F6 irons ended up in the Game Improvement category; given how far you hit the ball you should be OK with them. F6 reviews noted the irons have slightly different head designs up and down the line, to meet the demands of long irons vs. short irons.

Cobra drivers and long clubs have a good reputation. I especially liked their FlyZ driver from a couple of years back, one of my top three favorites at the time.

I play a FlyZ 4 hybrid, it's usually my go-to club for longer approaches and tight tee shots on evil short par 4s.

Be aware that the Cobra long clubs have slightly heavier shafts than average; so if you're on the line between one flex and another, probably go with the gentler flex. But, test this out on the launch monitor and find out for sure.

Note: Pick up a sand wedge if possible; doesn't have to be new, just decent grooves.

As for winter lessons: if you can find an indoor lesson place with a good pro, you can get a jump on next year. Although hitting off of mats is not ideal, it's better than nothing. You can sense if the shot was a little fat on contact. If a golf shop is deserted on a winter's day, sometimes you can rent a half hour on the launch monitor and hit some balls. The shop can give you an idea of when hitting stall dead time will be.

Where in Pennsylvania do you live? The head TST guy Erik operates outΒ of Erie.

Thanks! As far as flex - I didn't know that Cobra had heavier shafts. Based on my drive distance and tempo, I was told that stiff would probably be best for me... so that's what I got. Hopefully it'll be OK. I'm sure my swing will change after lessons, but I don't see my club head speed dropping drastically from where it is now, so stiff will probably be ok - right?

I love the hybrids - I replaced the 3 and 4 irons in my set with the hybrids for the same reasons most people do. I already can hit a 6i and shorter fairly well. 5i is less consistent, so I could adjust the hybrids loft to replace that iron if I wanted to.

I probably could have bought a more forgiving iron set, but I liked how they felt so I went with them. I'll get a SW in the future - maybe a Christmas present! Or I'll snag one from my old set.

I live 20 miles north of Pittsburgh. If anyone has instructor suggestions - feel free to shoot them over.

Β 

Edited by JRod4928

You can't go wrong with Cobra. Β Nice job on your selection. Β I recentlyΒ bought the F7 driver and got the hybrid thrown in for free. The failure of my balls to find the fairway have everything to do with me and nothing to do with those clubs. Β They are excellent.

As far as practicing through winter goes, I would recommend that you use the time to get professional instruction. Β That coupled with indoor work that you can do in your home will give you a nice start on next season. Β Start a swing thread while you are at it to help accelerate your learning curve. Β There are a lot of really well informed folks on this site who are eager to help.

Good luck!

Β 

Β 

39 minutes ago, Antneye said:

You can't go wrong with Cobra. Β Nice job on your selection. Β I recentlyΒ bought the F7 driver and got the hybrid thrown in for free. The failure of my balls to find the fairway have everything to do with me and nothing to do with those clubs. Β They are excellent.

As far as practicing through winter goes, I would recommend that you use the time to get professional instruction. Β That coupled with indoor work that you can do in your home will give you a nice start on next season. Β Start a swing thread while you are at it to help accelerate your learning curve. Β There are a lot of really well informed folks on this site who are eager to help.

Good luck!

Β 

Β 

Thanks haha. Yeah I'm already more accurate with this driver thanΒ I was my last - but my last driver was terrible, lol.

Do you think winter lessons are worth it, considering I won't be able to get out to play much in the winter to train muscle memory for the mechanics the instructor teaches me?

3 minutes ago, JRod4928 said:

Thanks haha. Yeah I'm already more accurate with this driver thanΒ I was my last - but my last driver was terrible, lol.

Do you think winter lessons are worth it, considering I won't be able to get out to play much in the winter to train muscle memory for the mechanics the instructor teaches me?

I think so.....There is no reason you cannot work on the items your instructor gives you in front of a mirror, or hitting into a net. Β I even hit foam balls in my garage when I am working on my mechanics. Β Anything to keep you fresh. Β As you read this site you will learn many drills and practice ideas that do not require a driving range. Β 

2 minutes ago, Antneye said:

I think so.....There is no reason you cannot work on the items your instructor gives you in front of a mirror, or hitting into a net. Β I even hit foam balls in my garage when I am working on my mechanics. Β Anything to keep you fresh. Β As you read this site you will learn many drills and practice ideas that do not require a driving range. Β 

I chip wiffle balls around the finished basement sometimes, but I don't have a place to do a full swing. maybe i'll bring the clubs upstairs and try to chip them into the sink or the baby's play pen or something, lol. I putt to my son while he's crawling aroundΒ so he can pick them up and play with them and (maybe) throw them back, which is fun haha.

I'll keep reading - thanks!

5 hours ago, JRod4928 said:

I didn't know that Cobra had heavier shafts. Based on my drive distance and tempo, I was told that stiff ...Β 

If you didn't notice it, don't worry about it. With your driving distance, a slightly heavier shaft would prevent wild shots.

5 hours ago, JRod4928 said:

I probably could have bought a more forgiving iron set,

Again, with your driver distance you have good clubhead speed, so you should be fine (and, you have played before). Heavier shafts and stronger flexes give trouble to those with lower swing speeds, but you should be able to compress the ball enough to get good launch from thisΒ iron.

I think you're on the right track! Have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

I wouldΒ recommend getting something to track your stats,I use golfpad but other tools are out there.Β 

If you start early, it will really show you your development (and where you are still weak) by the time you improve a bit

• Thumbs Up 1

Tell me if this makes sense...

I hit a regular shaft cobra f7 driver with a hard but not erratic swing (say 90%) i and was slicing it consistently -Β occasionally it went straight. If I backed off to say 75%, it was more predictable but still missed fairways.

Β 

Fast forward to today. I used a f7 STIFF this time. I was able to consistently crush it down the middle or slightly in rough. One drive went 310!! I never did that before... however I never hit a stiff driver before

Did the stiff shaft actually fix my problems? Or did I just have a good day??

For what it's worth, I shot a 90 with a 42 on the back 9! With a handful of mulligans. This was my first time out with my brand new clubs too! So distances were a little off.

I'm very encouraged, but I want to temper expectations cuz it could have justΒ been a good day. Anyway, the stiff clubs seem like a great fit for me! Thoughts?

20 hours ago, WUTiger said:

If you didn't notice it, don't worry about it. With your driving distance, a slightly heavier shaft would prevent wild shots.

Again, with your driver distance you have good clubhead speed, so you should be fine (and, you have played before). Heavier shafts and stronger flexes give trouble to those with lower swing speeds, but you should be able to compress the ball enough to get good launch from thisΒ iron.

I think you're on the right track! Have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.

See above. I forgot to quote you!

I'm swinging an F7 regular shaft and you now have me wondering if part of my driver troubles are being in the wrong shaft. Β My swing speed is somewhere in the low 90's. Β Ugh, I just bought this thing.

55 minutes ago, Antneye said:

I'm swinging an F7 regular shaft and you now have me wondering if part of my driver troubles are being in the wrong shaft. Β My swing speed is somewhere in the low 90's. Β Ugh, I just bought this thing.

Everyone's different, and my experience is a small sample size, but it seemed like I was overswinging the regular shaft. f I underswing the stiff shaft it tends to pull, which makes sense if u think about the shafts kick point being calibrated for a certain swing speed.Β 

Β 

It's almost like the harder I swing, the better it responds (stiff flex). For control purposes I don't go all out though of course.Β 

Β 

For what it's worth, I actually bought a regular and sold it for that reason!

Email al at cape cod golf for a fantastic clearance price. That's where I got mine

Another interesting thing is my old clubs were shortened, which I forgot about. To compensate, I was unconsciously bending my back slightly. The new clubs are the right length but I first thought they were too long because I had bad posture and the clubs weren't lying flat on the ground at address...

I was watching a video on YouTube and realized the clubs weren't the issue, it was my posture!

This round I consciously corrected my posture and I struck the ball well.

Side bonus, each club hit father than my last set, due to a number of factors, one of which is the longer club length than I was used to... I couldn't believe I could hit a 9 iron 140!Β Lol

just to verify that my 310 yard drive wasn't a tall tale, I went to google maps and measured distance from the tee to where it ended up. It infact was 303 yards (+/-). Not a lot of roll due to the rough I was in. The tee box was probably 10 feet higher in elevation than where it landed. So that helped too. Either way. I'll take it!

I don't want to get too caught up in drive distance, because there are soo may other more important aspects to the game, but that was my shot of the day and I always wondered if I could reach 300 yards, lol.

Note:Β This thread is 2409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!