IGNORED

Driver's loft

Note: This thread is 5693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's the loft of your driver?

• < 8.5°
    • 8.5°
    • 9.5°
    • 10°
    • 10.5°
    • 11°
    • 11.5°
    • 12°
    • 13°
    • other

i have a tm r7 460 at 9.5* stiff shaft. i can get very little height on this driver and seem to be hitting nuclear scuds that barely get off the ground. i have used a reg shaft with 10* before in other drivers and got it up to a good height. wouldn't consider my swing slow, but not fast either.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a junk 9.5 and do pretty good, but when fitted there is any chance that I could get even a half yard or more I would change in a heart beat.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

Driver loft selection is a function of swing speed but many more factors come into play. E.G.:

A 10º lofted driver usually has a loft-range of ±3º and the "effective" loft of the driver depends upon the point of contact with the ball. Hitting the ball with the bottom of the driver effectively puts the loft at around 7º and hitting with the top of the driver face it's close to13º. There are drivers on the market that minimize this effect by having a flat face or lower face roll. The angle of attack plus the "effective" loft of the driver equals the launch angle. The angle of attack is dependent on how high the ball is teed-up and how far to the left of the center of the stance the tee is placed. Moving the entire body to the left during the downswing can lower the angle of attack.

Of course, if one tries to remember all of this during the game then it likely leads to returning to the club house before finishing the 18-holes and having a couple of cold ones.

Currently playing with a Callaway X460 10 degree. Before that was a Ping G5 copy with 10.5. My distance never seems to change much with loft but my accuracy sure does. Just going down a 1/2 a dgree on the Callaway I could tell a difference. I'm thinking of maybe trying a higher lofted driver this year 12 or 13 just too see if I still get the same distance. I don't believe in the lower loft more distance theory. I quit believing that when my 270 yard drives were getting blown away by a guy using an original Adams Tightlies 3 wood (16*) as his driver.

"I'm a scratch golfer, I hit the ball and scratch my head wondering where it went."

Clubs in my Ogio stand bag
Callaway FT-9 i-mix 10* Fubuki Shaft R flex
Cobra Baffler 3 Hybrid Steel S flex shaft

Callaway Diablo 4H R flex graphite shaft

X Tour 5-PW Project X S flex Shafts

Cleveland: CG10 56 SW

Cleveland 60 LW

Futura Phantom 34" Putter

yeah, i got suckered last year on a 9 degree Ping G5 on a Blow-Out sidewalk sale that Edwin Watts had last year. I didn't have a driver and the salesman kinda shot me a line of crap and suckered me into buying the 9 degree as he didn't have exactly what i was looking for.. it went something like.. "Strong guy like you.. you'll be hitting the 9 degree with no problem.. " and i fell for it.. the price was really low though.. haha.

anyway, once i start making some progress, i will definitely be looking to change to a 12 or 13 degree. i need more height.. and i swing slow.. lol.

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

Just recently switched to an 8.5 Hibore. It seemed like the bigger the heads on the driver, the higher off the face they would fly. Going to an 8.5 made all of the difference. It's easy to control ball flight and still work the ball w/maximum distance now. It also helps with a stiff v2 shaft versus the stock fujikara. With today's driver heads, I don't forsee going back to anything higher than an 8.5 ever again.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

9.5 Adams RPM 460. I can hit the 9.5 pretty good. I don't think that I would change lofts.

In the bag at this point

Adams RPM 9.5°
Adams Tightlies Strong 3 16°
Adams Tightlies Strong 7 24°Hogan CFT Hybrid 3Hogan CFT irons (5-P)Alien SWCameron Futura 2 35"Top Flight Gamer

Usually, Drivers have more loft than is marked on them. I have a Cleveland marked 10.5, I took it to a clubfitter and found out it's actually 12. I have a tour issue Adams that's marked 10.5 and it's actually 11 degrees.

A 9.5 could range from 9.5-12 degrees!

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I hit a 8.5 Degree. I dont think i would ever consider going over 9.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I used to hit a 10.5 but hit it terrible. Hadn't purchased new equipment in quite a while but looking to get into the game again so I read up on the newest game improvement clubs and tips.

Everything I read told me to check my ego and go a bit higher. So I went up to 12 as I got a great deal on a Ping G10. I hit probably 50-60% more fairways than I used to. My distance is only affected by the roll, which is less, but at my level it's HUGE to be able to hit straight that often.

My swing speed is lowered to a more natural speed (as opposed to over swinging) and I'm teeing the ball up lower for more consistent shots.

I couldn't be happier.

10.5. I need about a 9, I think. The ball's going way too far up in the air, and when that happens the wind just starts making a mockery of my tee shots.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I just went from 10.5 to 9.5 after reading this book by Tom Wishon I should probably be hiting a 12........

R7
R7 3w
Launcher 5w
Halo 3i
Launcher 4-PWCG11...52,56Circa 62#2

14* on my Brassie
Driver:Louisville Golf Transitional driver(15*)
Wood:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Brassie(14*)
Long IronTad Moore/Tom Morris Cleek(18*)
Long Iron:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Mid Iron(22*)
Approach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Jigger(26*)Approach:Burke T ray Mongrel MashieApproach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Mashie(37*)Short:Geor...

I use a 10.5 Wilson Staff DD6+ driver, it is awesome but I reckon my next driver will be 9.5 just because I hit the ball pretty high. I reckon 9.5 will give me more run off the tee instead of getting distance from carry. What do u guys prefer... Run or carry?
Wilson Staff Tour Carry Bag:

Staff DD+6 10.5* Proforce V2 Reg
906F4 15.5* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S Reg585.H 19* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S RegStaff Ci7 4 - PW w TX 105 RegVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52* Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56*Harmonized 60* Lob WedgeRossa Daytona 1

Note: This thread is 5693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!