IGNORED

Hi from NYC

gill
Note: This thread is 2402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm a Brit living in New York City. Been on and off golfing for a few years but until this summer had been 'off' for a good 6 years or so. 

It's not super easy golfing in the city (nor was it back in London) but I've been able to get a few rounds in this summer at Rockaway Hunting Club and Garden City Country Club plus a round in Vegas at the Bali Hai. Hoping to explore some of the Muni courses around the city before the weather here gets too hostile. Best round this summer was a 95, hoping to get down a little closer to 90 if I get the chance this year.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, gill said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a Brit living in New York City. Been on and off golfing for a few years but until this summer had been 'off' for a good 6 years or so. 

It's not super easy golfing in the city (nor was it back in London) but I've been able to get a few rounds in this summer at Rockaway Hunting Club and Garden City Country Club plus a round in Vegas at the Bali Hai. Hoping to explore some of the Muni courses around the city before the weather here gets too hostile. Best round this summer was a 95, hoping to get down a little closer to 90 if I get the chance this year.

Cheers!

Welcome to TST! Maybe @nevets88 can give you some info on golf around NYC.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome!

Depending on whether or not you drive and where you live in the city, there are plenty of passable courses in the boroughs. Dyker Beach and Marine Park in Brooklyn ok. Short and fun. Clearview in Queens is alright. Staten Island has a bunch of decent courses, but if you dont drive its hard to get out there. Theres always Bethpage Park in Long Island, but it can be a haul from the city too if you dont drive. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

10 minutes ago, gill said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Welcome. I know it seems like summer now, and for a bit more, but it's officially fall, lol.

Unfortunately, the munis are gonna be a huge letdown compared to the courses you've mentioned :-\, but if you need any info, just holler. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

thanks guys!  I don't have a car at the moment but it's something I'm seriously looking at for next year.  I'm currently in East Village so a handful of the muni options are doable via public transport.  Luckily for me I'm still benefiting from my UK vacation allowance for the time being so I have a handful of spare days to take off and try out some of these courses midweek when they should be a bit quieter.

Just my opinion, if you're thinking about keeping a car in Manhattan, look at Zipcar, Maven, Turo.

And even with services like Dropcar, car ownership in any big city is a soul sucking endeavor, even if you have the discretionary income for it. Dealing with garages, valets, traffic, etc... The car on the lift above yours might fall, stuff like that.

For now, carless, I'd recommend taking the LIRR to Bethpage, or subway/Lyft to one of the Bronx/Brooklyn munis.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Just my opinion, if you're thinking about keeping a car in Manhattan, look at Zipcar, Maven, Turo.

And even with services like Dropcar, car ownership in any big city is a soul sucking endeavor, even if you have the discretionary income for it. Dealing with garages, valets, traffic, etc... The car on the lift above yours might fall, stuff like that.

For now, carless, I'd recommend taking the LIRR to Bethpage, or subway/Lyft to one of the Bronx/Brooklyn munis.

Agreed, car ownership is not exactly an appealing option overall. I used to drive in London - with the benefit of free on street parking and no 'alternate side' rules etc.  Back then I used to use my car frequently - every Sat/Sun and occasionally through the week... With that frequency Zipcar gets a bit pricey. It's something for me to consider though. I haven't checked out Maven or Turo - will take a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding Bethpage, whilst I've heard some horror stories about trying to get tee times on the Black course, is it relatively straight forward to get a midweek time on one of the others? 

Edited by gill

1 hour ago, gill said:

Agreed, car ownership is not exactly an appealing option overall. I used to drive in London - with the benefit of free on street parking and no 'alternate side' rules etc.  Back then I used to use my car frequently - every Sat/Sun and occasionally through the week... With that frequency Zipcar gets a bit pricey. It's something for me to consider though. I haven't checked out Maven or Turo - will take a look, thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding Bethpage, whilst I've heard some horror stories about trying to get tee times on the Black course, is it relatively straight forward to get a midweek time on one of the others? 

Yes other 4 courses, no problem, always call the info line before you go, a course closure, probably 2+ hour extra wait to get on. Actually Black as a single, midweek you might luck out and walk on. Don't bother reserving, have to show up an hour early, get there 7, 8 hours before sunset should get on without waiting too long.

Steve

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Yes other 4 courses, no problem, always call the info line before you go, a course closure, probably 2+ hour extra wait to get on. Actually Black as a single, midweek you might luck out and walk on. Don't bother reserving, have to show up an hour early, get there 7, 8 hours before sunset should get on without waiting too long.

great.  thanks for the advice, hopefully I'll get chance to take a look over the next few weeks!

Note: This thread is 2402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!