IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge October 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for October, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a detailed post describing your practice every day during the month. Try to limit the number of very short or "ditto" type posts. Describe what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it in red text so I can notice it and give you the award.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good reason and still be eligible for the monthly award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10/1: 10 minutes on backswing with mirror DTL behind me. Reviewed past lessons and focused on the primary past issues:

• keep the left wrist from cupping,
  • good club position at the top, 
  • keep club "hooded" a bit on takeaway (don't sling face too far open, or the club too far to the inside)
  • good club position at A2,
  • don't be afraid to go up steeply and rely on the transition to shallow the club (think left arm only swings where you are sorta forced to take the club up steeply).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Still doing more plan drills, I really hope I can hit my 6i this afternoon when playing with my long time playing partner. He bugged out last week, but just as well that I want him to see my "new and improved" swing. :-D

Sequence and keeping on plane, sequence and plane, sequence and plane, . . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)

I'm back in the game!

10/01 - 20 mins of centered turn while trying to maintain my bookends when hitting into my net. Also adjusting to new set up (as directed by Erik in My Swing thread).

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

Still doing more plan drills, I really hope I can hit my 6i this afternoon when playing with my long time playing partner. He bugged out last week, but just as well that I want him to see my "new and improved" swing. :-D

Sequence and keeping on plane, sequence and plane, sequence and plane, . . .

My playing partner has the flu, what a lame excuse. :-P

Still can't hit my 6i anyway, and I am going off plane with these long irons. Driver seems okay and 3W/hybrid seem okay as well. Curious? Hit a few balls then left for work for a few hours because I promised my boss I could get some stuff analyzed. The VDI wouldn't copy onto thumb drive. Arrgh. What a wasted day. So, I went to pick up my son at school so we can have a family dinner of some sorts. . . :-)

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Oct. 1, 2017

Checked my alignment and set-up face on in tall mirror. Did check with 7i and 4W. Looks like I may have 4W too far back in stance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

10/1/17:

Continued work on my three-quarter swing as my full swing. Yes, I lose a bit of clubhead speed, however after messing around on the launch monitor, I've noticed 2 very important things. 1. I strike the ball much more solidly. 2. I can actually come from the inside with the driver, and the ball speed is about the same... Driver spin is finally under 3000 consistently. Only swinging it at 98-101 mph with a 3 quarter swing, but still hit it close to 250 yards. Who would have known?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

10/02 - centered turns with wall drill. Also used wall for steady head & maintaining bookend by swinging arms with head on the wall. X 5mins each

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

10/2/17:

Grip drills today. Just practiced getting it right this morning. A few minutes of that. Then a few minutes of posture and stance drills. Again focusing on getting it right.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

More work on my "mental game", my brain is telling me to go off plane with longer irons. So, I'm getting my muscles to "deal with" this stubborn brain. It's getting to a point where they're wrestling each other on the ground, and my muscles seem to have the upper hand, and my brain is starting to. . .shut. . .down. . . . . .from the take down hold my muscles have on. . .it. . .murble-blip-beeeeeeep. . .    .     .    .

:-D

Doing the on plane drills using a metronome. Taking it back and down slowly to get the feel for the plane. Then doing the swing drill with a club simulator in hand with my hands turned up and separated by about a foot. Take it to A4, pause, then let it swing down naturally for a finish with the hands in the same positions on the club simulator shaft.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

Doing the on plane drills using a metronome. Taking it back and down slowly to get the feel for the plane. Then doing the swing drill with a club simulator in hand with my hands turned up and separated by about a foot. Take it to A4, pause, then let it swing down naturally for a finish with the hands in the same positions on the club simulator shaft.

Went to to the driving range and did the on-plane drill before every shot. It's working.  I even launched a few nice a tall 4i shots. Not quite there yet, but I'm seeing progress. My 6i is finally more than halfway acceptable. Got quite a few towering shots landing nicely relatively close to where I was aiming.

My driver was also better. Actually, everything's better. I'll keep on chugging along with this drill.

Edit: Note that my tempo is really slow now that I'm using impact as the 1 beat. It's more like 5/4 time. Possibly a 4:1 ratio?!?

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Oct. 2

Practiced putting indoors. Worked on proper set-up and proper grip. When clubface is level, my hands are about 1/4" in front of clubface (slight forward press). Otherwise, I pop the ball up and leave putt short.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Woke up on a nightmare where I couldn't keep my Spine tilted through the swing. It was awful. Then I did some on plane drills in my living room. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/3/17:

Some more pitching work in the yard... Mostly been using the horizontal backswing to vertical finish technique... It seems to help... If I need a longer pitch, I just take more club.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Oct. 3

Practiced short game for 15 minutes on way to work.

Worked on 8i chip and run, and LW. I'm playing a tournament this weekend at a linksland course, which has zoysia airway and rough and bent grass for greens plus the turf surrounding the green. Had trouble in a practice round trying to bump the ball onto the green links style, but getting hung up in the area just off the green.

This weekend if I don't have a lot of green to work with I won' chip. I'll go with SW or LW, coming in high, close to cup.

Doing on plane drills and blogging while waiting for my kernel build at work.

I have roughly 116 threads 4GHz through 10Gb and every time it takes 40 minutes to build my system, and I have to test this system before picking up my daughter. Don't think I'll make to to the driving range today. . . :-(

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/3: Repeat of 10/2- transition from top to start downswing with hands moving toward ball and outward. Feel wide swing around in an arc horizontally, not down the line vertically toward the target (my tendency).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!