IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge October 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

10/11 - centered turn while maintaining bookends with 7i.

I don't think im getting any better at it. Will post in swing thread this weekend.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Lihu said:

I have no idea at this point if I'm having swing issues or something? I hit 40 balls with a driver today, and they went everything from dead straight to 30 degrees dead pull with what felt like the same swing. On the good shots armpit pressure is the same, flight was always nice and high and the same except for the launch direction, distance even looked about the same. Direction is over a 30 degree region from dead straight to a dead pull. Plus, I can hear a squeak from my driver. I flexed it and torqued it and nothing appears to be loose. I torqued the shaft about 5 degrees clockwise and counterclockwise from the head to grip, and it's on tight. Going to have it checked out anyway. Maybe it's not quite a good fit any more? It feels kind of overly flexible to me? Super solid feeling contact though.

Just reviewed some of my swings captured in slow motion DTL. The ones that pulled way right were over swung, and the shaft does not appear to be loading excessively? There's an almost direct relationship between my turn arc length and the amount it goes right. So, I'm going to try out another 40 balls today with tempo and attempting to stop at roughly "3/4" turn to shaft parallel (which would be a full swing). My turns that went 30 degrees were maybe 1/8 part parallel or so. Hoping that fixes it.

Hopefully my irons will continue to work and I can try out the 4i. Only planning on a short range session today.

Doing more on plane drills with a 4:1 timing.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, Lihu said:

Just reviewed some of my swings captured in slow motion DTL. The ones that pulled way right were over swung, and the shaft does not appear to be loading excessively? There's an almost direct relationship between my turn arc length and the amount it goes right. So, I'm going to try out another 40 balls today with tempo and attempting to stop at roughly "3/4" turn to shaft parallel (which would be a full swing). My turns that went 30 degrees were maybe 1/8 part parallel or so. Hoping that fixes it.

Hopefully my irons will continue to work and I can try out the 4i. Only planning on a short range session today.

Doing more on plane drills with a 4:1 timing.

2 shots with my driver confirmed the problem. Hit a few more just to make sure, and got them all to land reasonably in the same line. Reviewing the videos on the range, I noticed that my lead wrist supinate on a few shots as well yesterday. Not much, but it was bent noticeably. Today, I focused on pronation or flat.

Hit all my irons with about the same flight as the other ones.

Took a clinic on putting and short game. Will repeat the clinic on Saturday. Will be practicing ladder and around the clock drills and also getting a ball within 3 feet with my wedges from around the green. Chipped in two shots using the proper technique. Was much more relaxed making these chips. The instructor knew exactly how to get all of us to chip the ball within 3 feet or so of the pin.

I anticipate my next round to be night and day better than my previous 8 crappy rounds. If I can keep the drives on the fairway or first cut and implement the chipping and putting speed improvements, I should be down 7 or 8 strokes. We'll see. This is golf, so who the heck knows?

Ladder drills and chipping to 3 feet drills around the greens. I'll try to practice this on the course as time permits.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10/11/17:

Pitching motion practice in front of mirror today.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Oct. 11

Reviewed my notes from weekend Amateur circuit championship. Need to practice partial swings more in short game. Went off half cocked four times Sunday, cost me 7 strokes. Need to lead with left side.

Also...

• need to verify my full shot alignment. I started creeping line to right at midround.
  • need to check bottom-out point on FWs. Had several hot, straight but low shots Sunday.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

10/12 - golf specific stretching, kettle bell swings for balanced weight shift. 8i's into net (yes, I have a light mounted outside for my hitting net :-P) with focus on centered turn and maintaining bookends.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

One thing I thought was odd was the aiming part in putting. There isn't any actual aiming. You only use the lines to line up the ball, and not to aim the line per se except that it happens to be the direction you want to putt. So, I'm now using lines on the ball to practice putting "well". That is, if the ball follows the line such that you can see a distinct line as the ball is rolling, then you hit a "good" putt whether it goes to the hole or not. Definitely an eye opener for me. I started getting within 3 feet of the hole from most of my lag putts after that.

More putting and chipping practice, I'm actually starting to like it too. . .

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/12/17:

Some more one piece takeaway work today. Mostly focusing on keeping connected.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Oct. 12

Practiced putting for 15 minutes on way to work. Focused on lag putts, and approach putts on steep angles and up terraces.

I also talked to pro about cashing in a gift certificate. He offered to extend deadline for use since pro shop was pretty empty of merchandise after several recent scrambles.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

10/13 - 6 putting for bead in office. I will hit this evening into net with continued to focus on turn and maintaining bookends. Hope to post swing in swing thread this weekend.

-Jonny

10/13/17:

Slow three-quarter wedges in the yard this morning, focusing on tempo and keeping my right elbow in.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Oct. 13

Practiced 6 min. w/  SKLZ Gold Whip.

• weight shift (baseball swing)

• trailing elbow flex

• full swing w/ pause at top

10/14 - 8i into net with focus on centered turn while reducing EE

-Jonny

10/14/17:

I worked on 100-yard shots today... As I stated in the no "full" shots from inside ~150 yards thread, I don't really hit full shots from there.... And I've really been working on it, hard... Someone tried to tell me, "With your length, you should be able to hit a comfortable SW from 100 yards". I told them, there are times I'll hit an 8-iron from 100 yards, from the middle of the fairway (it's mostly eithera 9:15 or 9:30 PW, or a three-quarterish 48° GW) But I actually did it so I hit 5 different clubs within 5 yards distance of 100 yards... Which for me, I'll take. I tried to do it with 6i and it was just going a little further than I would like. But I don't care what other people think, if my belt high 8-iron from 100 yards, gets closer than their sand wedge... They'll be reaching in their wallets to pay me... LOL.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Mowed the lawn for the first time in four weeks, following the aeration and reseed in September. First, I rolled in the hoses for winter. (For aeration, you have to water twice a day for 2 weeks, and once daily for a week.)

Along with mowing, I trimmed down my backyard wedge range, and the tee box. I may have to get a metal cup liner, as the aeration spiker crunched the plastic liner.

10/15/17:

Hit ten shots with each of my irons and wedges, 5 half-shots, and 5 three-quarter shots. Trying to get my distances down. 7i down, I've already been working on... but 6,5, and 4 not so much. This is what I found: 

My three-quarter shot carry within 5 yards of my "full" shot. My half-swing shot (approx 9:00 or so backswing) is 85% or so of my three-quarter shot. 

I even hit nice shots with my "sand wedges" because the focus was a shorter swing.

It gets a little tricky with a half-shot with longer irons... But you just have to stay committed to the shot, that's all.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

10/15 - 8i into net x 15 mins focus on maintaining bookends. 

-Jonny

Went to range this afternoon. Our club championship scheduled for today was postponed until Nov. 4.

Sunny with wind about 30-35 MPH, so I took this as a premonition of Nov. 4. Spent over an hour on short-game free play:

• Did some hinge-and-hold with LW out of shaggy rough, varying length of shots. 
  • Hit some LW off a 30° downhill slope. We have four holes where you can get this shot either long or wide.
  • Putted in the LW approaches from several shots.
  • Practiced with 7i and PW chip shots; this may be go-to short shot if it's windy Nov. 4.
  • Practiced putting sideways out of a sand trap with ball against forward lip. Took an unplayable on a shot like this last weekend. (Didn't have on my thinking cap that day.)

Note: This thread is 2330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!