IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge October 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10/21 - 8i into net working on centered turn with 1/2 - 3/4 swings

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

Slow round. Got one shot from 140 yards to less than 5 feet. Feeling a lot better. Still hit a few trees off the tee, but not as penal as previous rounds.

Practicing a lot more short game now. Guessing 25% of my practice is now short game and almost all of it is chipping and pitching. My game is improving overall, and I made sure all my fringe shots were checked as "off green" in game golf. I have two driving clinics coming up this week, so, I'm preparing for them by focusing on my driving swing. Driving was kind of bad my last round, and I still feel like a lot of luck was involved in my score. Hopefully, that will change as I gain some more confidence on the course. Still did only 2 practice and two rounds or less this week. My home course has a Bruins and Ducks game today. Will likely play my full round at San Dimas or Knollwood today.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Played a par 3 due to time constraints. I was so proud of my 10 GIR at and 8 over score all jazzed up thinking that I could improve a lot on a regulation course. I punched in my game stats and ended up with the same short game stats as on my last two 18 hole rounds and consistent with my 9 hole round yesterday. Totally bummed out :-P

I’m going back to my don’t care how I score mode of thinking again. Ignorance is bliss and I’ll be happier for it.

In the meantime, the people I played with thought I was a sandbagging ...

Working on my short game. Going to play/practice on this par 3 course a lot more.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10/21/17:

Wedges in the yard. Trying to get the flighted feeling down. I usually just stick with my 1/2 to 2/3 swing, but it's probably time to step out of the box.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

10/22/17:

Did some pitching and chipping this morning focusing on feel and getting distances correct.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

10/22 - pitching in backyard working on distance control with varying degrees of backswing

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Went to Santa Anita GC today and practiced short game around the putting green. Practiced my putting as well. Honestly, my putting isn't going to get that much better even though I still get high 30s to 40 putts per round. My 6 to 8 foot putts are the key. I missed all my 8 foot putts yesterday, I'd like to make at least one or two per round.

Setup a circle 8 feet around a couple holes. The flat one was not too bad with 2/16 in the hole, but I missed 16/16 on a slight slope. I'll practice 32 balls a day this upcoming week.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/23 - pitching motion with whiffle balls down office hallway x 10 mins

-Jonny

More full swing practice. Trying to see where the release point naturally happens versus "holding it off".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/23/17:

Hit some shots, with a strong left hand grip. And stronger than normal right hand grip. (I can't do both my thumbs at 3:30 like Erik). I cannot hit a shot to the right with this grip if I tried...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

On 10/23/2017 at 6:28 AM, Lihu said:

More full swing practice. Trying to see where the release point naturally happens versus "holding it off".

Still trying to sequence my swings better with more lag. My irons seem to be going higher, but the same distances. They seem to spin a lot more. There's this one hill on the range where I can hit my 7i into a "cavity" and I know I made my distance. I hit that cavity a lot more times than normal. Loved watching the ball disappear into the sky and land in that spot. The extra spin makes the ball less visible at the apex, and the ball doesn't roll a lot either. My 5i seems okay, but my 4i is still lacking the height I want to see from it. I'm going to start rating my range sessions with the 1-10 scale used for solid strikes. My solid hit number for this session was probably above 7 for those 7i shots going into the cavity but 1 or 0 for the longer irons. Overall, more than 2. I hit about 20 balls with the height and trajectory I like.

Driver sucked. I was completely out of sequence trying to hold off my lag. I finally decided to turn my hips a bit faster to see if I can hold the lag more naturally. For 2 shots out of the 10 I made this way, I'd say they were "adequate". Not as far as I'd like to see them carry, but definitely more consistent. 3W sucked. No distance. Hybrid went about the same carry distance as my 3W.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/24/17:

Hit some shots, with a very strong left hand grip. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

10/24 - centered turns with 7i. Trying to steady head so that I'm not bobbing 

-Jonny

7 hours ago, Lihu said:

Driver sucked. I was completely out of sequence trying to hold off my lag. I finally decided to turn my hips a bit faster to see if I can hold the lag more naturally. For 2 shots out of the 10 I made this way, I'd say they were "adequate". Not as far as I'd like to see them carry, but definitely more consistent. 3W sucked. No distance. Hybrid went about the same carry distance as my 3W.

Driver didn't suck today, even with the 102 degree heat allowing my balls to go further, I could tell the flights we pretty decent finally. My 3W also carried farther than my hybrid. Couldn't hit my 4i very well, but did manage to hit a few 5i shots with my desired trajectory.

Carried all the clubs about a club farther, but that's probably because the temperature is higher today.

Took my time on my shots and made a full shoulder turn. Turns out I was not making a full shoulder turn with any clubs yesterday and this morning. I ended up making a full shoulder turn ans managed to synchronize a few shots with the added lag. It's going to take a while, but I think I can get the directional consistency and flight I want by insuring these two elements are consistent in my swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

Driver didn't suck today, even with the 102 degree heat allowing my balls to go further, I could tell the flights were pretty decent finally. My 3W also carried farther than my hybrid. Couldn't hit my 4i very well, but did manage to hit a few 5i shots with my desired trajectory.

Carried all the clubs about a club farther, but that's probably because the temperature is higher today.

Took my time on my shots and made a full shoulder turn. Turns out I was not making a full shoulder turn with any clubs yesterday and this morning. I ended up making a full shoulder turn ans managed to synchronize a few shots with the added lag. It's going to take a while, but I think I can get the directional consistency and flight I want by insuring these two elements are consistent in my swing.

Working synchronizing my full shoulder turn while retaining more lag through the hips. Also, having to consciously keep my lead wrist flat at the top, it's ingrained but I need to be aware of it at the top. Once I do that, it seems like it stays flat during my downswing. The shots feel way more solid through impact now, everything seems to be coming together. Once I get everything synchronized, I'll finally start working on hitting the sweet spot better. I'm currently using the entire face even though my distances seem pretty good now.

I am preparing for my "driving and long game" clinic, by doing some stretching and light swinging motions.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10/25/17:

Slow swings with a very strong grip. Focusing mostly on getting through the ball and over to my left side.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

10/25 - at Disney today and  for the next 4 days. Got some wall drills done in the hotel room

-Jonny

15 hours ago, Lihu said:

I am preparing for my "driving and long game" clinic, by doing some stretching and light swinging motions.

Clinic went well. The instructor helped me with my sequencing. Getting a little better, but "Rome wasn't built in a day." I'm signed up for Saturday's clinic as well. Hoping to get the sequencing even better. A little at a time.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!