IGNORED

How to stay warm in cold weather?

Note: This thread is 2191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I consider myself a cold weather golfer, but that's brutal.

Mid 30's I can handle. Mid-30's with a 25 mph wind.... probably not.

Yeah...only reason I played is that on Wednesday we agreed to meet at the course and then decide.  So 4 out of 7 of us show up...all dressed for the arctic expedition...so of course were going to play right?!

Only good thing, other than being with friends is the good shots were that much more rewarding with the weather and clothing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have some Nike thermal base gear then put golf shirt and pants over that and top with an Adidas winter pull over but it is constricting.  

I played early this spring and tried the method of my stretchy thermal base then regular golf attire and topped with my winter coat. I would wear the coat between shots and remove it to hit. This is my new preferred method as I stayed warmer and played better. 

There is no slow down because my coat interior is nylon so it would slip on and off in seconds while my playing partners were getting ready to hit their shot.

• 1 month later...

Playing in the cold has several elements.

Temperature

Wind

Sun

As you might imagine sun is good and wind is bad.  You can have a low temp but sun and its fine.  Cold temp, no sun and wind is cold.  This year I got Adidas ULTIMATE 365 CLIMAWARM GOLF PANTS.  They are awesome through a range of temperatures from 55 on down.

Depending on the temperature I wear the following layers.  Cotton Tee shirt, the slipperiest short sleeve golf shirt I can find (it keeps the layers from binding) dark long sleeve golf shirt/sweater, dark  long sleeve golf rain jacket.

The rain jacket has a zipper so if you are getting hot you can unzip it to modulate the temp.  If it gets too hot I take it off.  The Golf sweater/shirts all seem to have a zipper up high that you can also unzip to vent heat.  I am a warm person so I don't usually wear gloves but I will wear a ski hat if its really cold.  Otherwise try and bring a dark ball cap.

Usually the issue is not being able to shed the right amount of layers to not overheat.  I'll play into the high 30's with these clothes IF it is not windy.  If it is windy and not sunny, it is not fun and I bail below 45.

2 hours ago, inthecup said:

As you might imagine sun is good and wind is bad.  You can have a low temp but sun and its fine.  Cold temp, no sun and wind is cold

Sun....what is that you talk of....in Michigan...

I agree.   even with the temps in single digits, it's fine to be outside without the wind if you have sun.   The usual in Michigan, no sun, it's tough, even in the 40s.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I wear a merino wool base layer made by Woolx - https://www.woolx.com/collections/mens-tops/products/warmest-merino-wool-base-layer-top-for-men-x702?variant=22155219717

Next layer is a merino wool 1/4 zip sweater with windproof liner by ProQuip

Usually this is all I need for temps 40 and above with light wind - if the wind is blowing then I add my Nike Rain Jacket.

I'll add a wool or fleece windproff beanie, if needed.

Good winter gloves by either FJ or Mizuno.

On the lower half I wear UA Cold Gear pants that were sold a few years back; they are windproof and very warm for Temps above 50; for lower temps I'll add a Woolx merino wool layer.

For socks I wear Merino Wool hiking socks made of Merino wool.

NOTE: Merino wool is itchless, wicks sweat, and does not absorb body odors. It is washable and can be dried in the dryer - it lasts a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Sun....what is that you talk of....in Michigan...

I agree.   even with the temps in single digits, it's fine to be outside without the wind if you have sun.   The usual in Michigan, no sun, it's tough, even in the 40s.  

You do have to admit this fall was awesome.  I played in comfortable temps into early December.

• Like 1

On the cheap....go to Walmart and get some workout base layers, about 15 buck for top and the same for bottom. In a pinch, women’s panty hose work, go ahead laugh. Definitely some kind of ski cap or such that covers your ears, you lose a lot of heat from your head. For torso I go with multiple pullovers, snuggest first them looser fitting ones. Hands I’ll use footjoy rain gloves, both, or their winter golf gloves. 

Ua or Nike cold gear base layer is a must come late November on Long Island. Wool hat is a given for me. Nothing worse that a cold head and ears. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 3 months later...

My weeknight league starts next Thursday, April 4.  The weather is looking optimistic a full week away.  42 degrees (high temp) and no rain so far.  27 is the predicted overnight low. That means we'll tee off at 40 degrees drop to lower 30s by the time we complete the round.

How to dress?  I wear long, thermal underwear, a pair of pants then my rain pants over the lower half.  Up top, an Underarmour cold gear mock shirt, layer on a golf shirt (no idea WHY?!!!) then a cold weather quarter zip top over that zipped up to my chin.  Layer on my rain suit top that is impervious to winds and I should be ok.

I have a nice Adidas stocking hat that I'll pull down as low as it'll go.  Also will wear my winter golf gloves, (plural), two pairs of socks and the warmest pair of golf shoes I own.  Like any of them are warm.

Saddest part is we'll play all of April and most of may in weather I don't consider 'golf weather' at all.  When I watch TV golf, it's warm, the fans have on shorts and shirts, look warm and are shielding their eyes from the sun.  No such issues with sunshine or warm, dry weather in NE Ohio until July ... if we're lucky.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 2191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!