IGNORED

Bought new irons. Was I fit correctly?

Note: This thread is 2343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've been using cheap irons the last year and decided to finally upgrade. I bought the taylor-made rocket blades.  Since I am 6'7"  we decided to put 2 inch extensions on them.  When I swung a normal length club with the tape thing on the bottom I hit in the center.  I asked the fitter  if we should adjust the upward downward angle of the club after the extension is on and he told me that since I hit in the middle with a standard length it will not change with the extension. I will pick up the clubs next week. Was he right about the upward downward angle thing 

• iacas changed the title to Bought new irons. Was I fit correctly?
  • Administrator
26 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

So I've been using cheap irons the last year and decided to finally upgrade. I bought the taylor-made rocket blades.  Since I am 6'7"  we decided to put 2 inch extensions on them.  When I swung a normal length club with the tape thing on the bottom I hit in the center.  I asked the fitter  if we should adjust the upward downward angle of the club after the extension is on and he told me that since I hit in the middle with a standard length it will not change with the extension. I will pick up the clubs next week. Was he right about the upward downward angle thing 

No, not really. You may luck out, but a good fitter should have clubs of different lengths to check these kinds of things.

I understand the theory behind the lie angle being the same - if you're also about 1 to 1.5" further from the golf ball, but it's not guaranteed to be the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Check them the same way when u get them.  He might bend the clubs to the proper lie angle when adding the extension.  2" is a lot to add, I can see not many fitters having anything that long.

Even when u hit them whennubget them, he should be able to bend them on the spot, it doesn't take long.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:47 PM, Typhoon92 said:

2" is a lot to add, I can see not many fitters having anything that long.

From Callaway Preowned Custom site: 

As far as shaft lengthening and lie angle adjustments: every 1/2-inch of extension makes a club's lie 1° more upright. In @wakefield724's case,  the clubs would be 4° more upright after the extension.

Before the fitter adjusts the lie, however, hit some test shots with sole tape to see where the sole strike comes on each club. You are going for dynamic (within the swing) lie angle, not static.

For clubs other than putters, the GolfWorks head instructor does not recommend extending the shaft by more than 1 inch.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks wu. I'm gonna go to another fitter. Even though I bought brand new clubs and paid 126 for extensions and new grips, this jerk is refusing to even test if my lie angle needs changed. They'll never get my business again 

25 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Thanks wu. I'm gonna go to another fitter. Even though I bought brand new clubs and paid 126 for extensions and new grips, this jerk is refusing to even test if my lie angle needs changed. They'll never get my business again 

Wait wat??? No no no....

Tell him you're gong to eff up his online reviews if he does that. No need to put up with that.

Colin P.

37 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

What a sack of sh___!  He's got a lot of balls calling himself a fitter.  Like Colin said, go on his website and leave a crap/truthful review.  Also, don't forget to add where u went to get properly fit.

I've been down this road before myself. I'm 6'7 and someone fitted me the same way years ago. I hit my 2" longer 8 iron 200 yds, plus I had no control. The club weights are way off too. I just got my new Mizuno GPX 900 forged 1" over and 6 degrees up. They are so much easier to hit consistently than my old blades. I hit them dead straight. The fitter check the lie on the strike board, and it is perfect for my swing and build. You may not need that much upright lie, but you will be in the 4 to 5 degrees upright range. I have a 40" wrist to floor measurement. If you have longer arms then your hands will be lower. In that case you'll probably be less upright than me. 

The bad news, it's a custom build. Save yourself a lot of  years of playing the wrong clubs, and have a Mizuno fitter fit you. The list of cavity backed irons that can be bent 4+ degrees upright is very small. Mizuno and ???? Can't think of and others. You're very tall, so you and I are kinda screwed as far as anything off the shelf:(  I've never had a problem with fairway woods, drivers, or putters just off the shelf. Even my Cleveland wedges were able to be bent, and re-shafted 1" over. Don't do extensions over 1/2" It messes up the swing weights. 

Note: This thread is 2343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!