IGNORED

Moviegoers and Critics Disagree

iacas
Note: This thread is 2341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I need to watch this again I remember liking it. Another one is Dark City, with Jack Bauer as a creepy spectacled nerdy scientist. 

Yea, there's Dark City, the Thirteenth Floor, the Matrix and eXistenz that all tackled a similar idea all around the same time (late 90s). 

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

If you liked those movies, I'd give the Thirteenth Floor (1999) a shot then. One of my all-time favorite "bad" movies (29% critic, 67% audience). Pretty much every scientist I know thinks this movie is cool too. Its bad use of computer jargon is cringe-worthy at times, but it otherwise is a cool idea that could easily be an excellent TV series today if re-worked and updated. 

Based on this and your follow-up related comments, I'm going to aim to see this movie.  I remember of it.

47 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I need to watch this again I remember liking it. Another one is Dark City, with Jack Bauer as a creepy spectacled nerdy scientist. 

Another great movie.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I stopped believing in critics and the like when Gandhi beat out E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1983. I mean seriously, have you ever tried to watch Gandhi?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Now that's interesting, I hated Dark City. Clumsy, too weird, they didn't pull off what they were trying to do imho

Colin P.

47 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Based on this and your follow-up related comments, I'm going to aim to see this movie.  I remember of it.

Yea, keep in mind it was a total flop, but I think it's a good story despite its flaws. 

But cool! Hope you don't hate it haha. 

Constantine

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

I stopped believing in critics and the like when Gandhi beat out E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1983. I mean seriously, have you ever tried to watch Gandhi?

Speaking of colossal dung heaps that won awards, have you seen Birdman?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 12/1/2017 at 11:40 AM, Shindig said:

Speaking of colossal dung heaps that won awards, have you seen Birdman?

I tried but I couldn’t get through it and I typically like Michael Keaton. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

@iacas I have this thought all the time. Just because a movie is really "stupid" doesn't mean it can't be entertaining. Hell we watched this movie "Pixel" (2015) only because it was available in 3D and we had just bought our 3D TV so I was pumped to use it. Rotten tomatoes critics: 17%. But we actually kind of liked it, lol. Stupid as crap, but pretty darn entertaining. 

Another example is rotten tomatoes gave Nerve (2016) a 66%. We really liked that movie. It wasn't great by any means, but it was entertaining.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I don't read individual reviews, but I use IMDB a lot to find the movies I end up watching. My experience is that the IMDB rating very often is a good indication of how much I will enjoy the movie. There are of course exceptions going both ways, but I rarely watch movies with <6 that I find really good. I don't like simple and "stupid" movies that build on the same tropes over and over. I don't have anything against them, I just struggle sitting down and watching them and actually enjoy myself. I end up thinking I could rather do something else, or watch a better movie. There's so much video entertainment these days with TV-shows and movies that I'd rather not waste too much time on something I'm not very likely to enjoy.

I love movies that show me something new and different, that dare explore and do it well. Movies like The Matrix, Reservoir Dogs, The Usual Suspects, Memento. When done well, these movies usually end up ranked pretty high on your IMDBs and RTs.

I use the same system for music, finding most of my new music on progarchives.com. Taste is individual, but with enough peers you are bound to find the music (or movies) a majority will enjoy high up on the lists. Just the fact that a majority of the people who voted suggested this album or that movie increases the probability that you will like it too.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

In addition to reviewers, I also go by director/producer/screenwriter and certain actors who have a penchant for being in movies I like. Certain genres I prefer, like sci-fi, drama, no romcoms, Some movies you have to see in a theater because you just won't find it available to buy/rent.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

One of my (and wifes) all-time favorites is Stranger Than Fiction and it has a RT rating of only 72% ... I guess that means it qualifies for this list.

I find it to be a phenomenal movie.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:38 PM, NM Golf said:

There are no critics in the Academy, the people who vote for the Oscars. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Motion_Picture_Arts_and_Sciences

I agree that they have made some boneheaded selections, but they are mostly people who have worked in the business. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!