IGNORED

Weak neutral or strong grip

jmanbooyaa
Note: This thread is 2343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all.  To all the teaching pros on the trap, can a weak grip be played? I have found I hit a better ball and keep a fade using a weak to neutral grip. More weak than neutral I think.  I ask this question because any lessons I have taken immediately the grip is changed to a strong grip.  It is just not comfortable to me and it really has affected how I play which also hurts enjoyment. So I guess I am just unaware about the grip and why a weak grip seems to be frowned upon. 

Edited by jmanbooyaa

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator

Pictures?

You can play with a weak grip, of course. Tiger, Hogan… It generally requires a bit more timing, and you're more prone to a flip.

"Comfort" isn't a super valid reason for something like this, btw. You can become comfortable doing anything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can try and get a buddy to snap a pic of my grip tomorrow. I have attempted a strong grip for the entire golf season and could not get comfortable with it. I do suspect a few shots are a flip. Getting the car club face square at impact is easier for me with a weak grip. How many knuckles showing on left had ( righty) should be showing for a strong grip? Is there such thing as a semi strong grip? Thanks for the quick response. It has been bothering me for a bit so I switched. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

My grip is weak to neutral.  I do not, to be fair, think about it all that much unless I am trying to execute an eccentric repair.  I just rest the grip in my fingers and go from there in all but extreme circumstances.  Some of that scans...if you read it right.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I am of the opinion that one grip does not fit all golfers. It's what ever grip returns the club face to it's set up position. I don't believe all golfers hands react the same during the down swing into impact. I may be wrong, but it's still my belief. 

My grip is more neutral, with maybe a little, slight lean towards strong. The line between my thumbs, and first finger points just a little left my sternum at set up. (very little) I couldn't tell you where that line points at impact, but I assume it's close to my set position.

I remember something I read decades ago about an "1/8 inch rule". How it worked was the golfer would set up to the ball. Once set up the golfer would make their swing, and note the ball flight. If the ball flight was acceptable, the golfer had a grip that matched their set up, and impact position. If it didn't, the golfer would continue using the same set up position, and down swing. The only thing the golfer would change was their grip position. They would turn their hands in 1/8" increments, one way or the other, until they found their grip that matched up with their set up, and down swing, impact position. Depending on the golfer, they might have weak, neutral, or strong grip. Maybe even something in between those 3 positions.  

Years later I read something similar where the golfer kept the same set up, grip, and down swing. The only thing they changed was to either open, or close the club face at address to match their grip, set up, and down swing. This seemed a simpler method to me. I still check myself using this method. fwiw....:-D

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!