IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 7:

Short game drills and some full swing work focusing on backswing piece with 4-iron and driver, hitting almost golf balls. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 194.  Today was a workday for me, but I did allocate the time for fifteen minutes of full swing practice.  The ratio was 50/50 of the two drills, one ball each.

(It's a good thing too because I plan to play tomorrow).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 8:

Played 18 this morning. First round after a lesson is always funky for me. A storm was passing through but most of the rain missed the golf course, although it was pretty windy. Hit the ball okay, scored okay. Lot's of debris on the greens, but can't say it had a negative impact on my putting.

-Peter

Day 95 (18 Sep 22) (took yesterday off) - Resumed setup work today working with the 7i and making short pitches.  Neat thing was while working the drill, my neighbor stopped and asked if I wanted a bucket of golf balls.  I told her sure, thinking it would be a mixed bucket of shag balls.  A few moments later she comes back with this….a full bucket of Pro-V1 and V1X balls (some with stamped initials, some marked PRACTICE - most look like they’ve barely been struck).  Definitely not PRO-V1 poor! 

868FDB0A-82E5-4AC0-9526-490C8A9BC202.jpeg

0F938316-198B-41C0-933F-DFE1397A4192.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 195.  I shot an 83 in a club outing (tournament) today.  I did some warm-up practice before hand, of course, and also a lot of really good shots today that showed the benefits of the practice.  I had a few awful shots where afterward I just thought "did I just revert to old setup/swing?".  Gotta watch out for that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 60 9/18/2022

Worked on my priority pieces in the garage today. Hitting balls with a 7 and 5 irons into the net. 
Also did mirror work with a 7-iron today. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 9- after a solid driving round yesterday with 12/14 fairways, but only 4 GIR, worked on  irons this afternoon.  Really good on the range today. Need to practice from uneven lies, I imagine, to replicate on-course situations.

Day 55 (9/18/22): I practiced a bit hitting foam balls at home, working on pivot and rhythm, then a few real balls. I was waiting to be called into work for something, but didn't know when it would happen, so I went to the golf course. I took a cart out and played. Conditions were very difficult. The course was wet and playing very slow, and the rough was thick and long, so you would hit a ball 4 steps off the fairway and lose it. Since I was playing alone, I lost alot of balls on shots that weren't really that bad. Ball striking was C- (kept it on the golf course and distance was pretty good, but not even one really flush, perfect strike), management, aiming, clubbing, etc. was A-. It's amazing how much simulator practice helps with this. I knew about how much offline I could be with each club, and so it was easy to pick clubs and aim. I had 3 shots from 40-80 yards that I hit within 12 feet of the hole. I also had a bunch of thin hits, a couple of bladed shots, awful blocks with the driver (but which weren't disasters because I was ready for them). Surprisingly, the simulator practice helped alot with short game chips and pitches, and with putting. My distance control for short game and putting was as good as I can ever remember doing. The disappointment was not being able to fix the ball striking on the course. On the simulator, if I am doing something really bad, I can usually get it moving back toward a good pattern within 10-12 swings. Not so on the golf course. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 61: 9/19/2022

Got up early this morning and headed out to the garage. I hit balls with the 9, 7 and 5 iron. Working on my priority pieces. I'm hoping to get in a quick 9 holes after work today. I feel like my game is much better than it was 2-3 months ago. 

Day 10- Worked on backswing for 15 minutes. I have a tendency to fold my left arm and felt it contributed to my poor GIR Saturday.  Performed a stretching drill my instructor provided.  Hope to get out to the range later this week to see how my accuracy improves.

Day 196.  I had some terrible shots in yesterday's round that were partial swings, some with the U-iron and some with the 9-iron (as I write this, I remember I also had a bad one with the 58).  For those two (not the 58... oops), I hit a dozen partial shots, mostly quarter, after work today (indoor practice room, etc).  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 96 (19 Sep 22) - Worked on putting stroke and tempo.  Making sure to equalize the backstroke distance with the finish point distance and keeping the tempo around 68bpm (metronome app really helps).

Edited by WillieT

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 56 (9/19/22): Took a lesson from my teacher. Decided my priority issue is to get the lower body more open at impact, and more lateral spine tilt. I've been improving this a little on my own using the Kwon drills, but the teacher wanted me to try to do some pre-set drills to get a better feeling of it, and to exaggerate it, and then work up to little swings from there. So I set up with the hips quite open but the shoulders square, right shoulder low/lateral spine tilt, hands ahead, weight forward. From there, rotate the hips to take the club back to about 9:00, then rotate through to 3. We recorded one to show that I was doing it correctly, and having the trail shoulder work more left after impact. Looked great but man it hurt getting into these positions. I did about 50-100 of these after the lesson. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 9:

Worked on backswing trying to make the feel, feel more natural.

-Peter

Day 97 (20 Sep 22) Played 18 with my son.  The stronger grip setup is starting to pay off as I am seeing more consistent ball striking thru the bag.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 62: 9/20/2022

Got to the driving range today. Worked on my priority pieces. Most worked with the 6 iron. But then I did some with the driver as well. My elbow started to bother me so I quit after that. I came back later to get on the practice green. I didn't realize it had been aerated. So, that was okay, but not what I wanted. I was able to do some short putt drills mostly the clock drill. I really wish I knew of a better short game practice area around here. 

According to Shot Scope I'm losing a lot of shots to my target handicap in short putting (under 10 feet) and wedge play. I feel like the wedge thing would actually be easier to work on at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 197.  Today's five minutes was abbreviated (but it was five minutes!), alternating quarter shots with the UI and 9I in my golf practice room.  The plan is to be back to full swing tomorrow.

(I think it also counts that I did a workout from FFG this morning, if the goal is "do something each day that gets you better at golf."  I forget what we agreed on for that)

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing!