IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 2 Week 7

Got in a short range session working on center contact at 1/4 and 1/2 swings. 

Played 18 in Phoenix after that.  My first round in Arizona.  Driver was extremely long today.  Irons were off though 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 361

A few minutes of indoor putting doing the yardstick drill, then hit some balls with 7-iron still working on new transition feel. Haven’t been able to record any swings due to evening practice / low light, but I think some video review is needed to see why start line is inconsistent. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 58: Switched it up today and went back to basics with contact drills with my 7 iron. Started at 1/4 swings and went to 1/2, 3/4 and full. Rehearsed my priority piece feel before each swing but focused on contact. Finished with SuperSpeed training. It was cold again.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 6 December 9th   Worked on the range today for about 2 1/2 hours focusing on staying on plane, and NOT coming over the top.... progress made!!   

Also spent 30 plus minutes doing a Taylormade driver fitting.  While I will see more data later this evening... the one big AHA was that the dispersion with my present driver was only about 7-8 yards, when I changed from the regular flex shaft to a stiff flex in a Taylormade driver my dispersion was only 3 yards!!  Maybe the Twist Face technology works.  Though seems very strange... for a guy who only averages about 215-220 off the tee.  But I can not argue with the data.  BTW, I did not pick up any yardage with several Taylormade combination heads and shafts... my Callaway BB Epic won again this week... about two weeks ago, it won against newer Callaway driver/shaft combos.   Just maybe Titleist will go further with the same dispersion...when I get fit by them next month.    LOL!!! 

Day 362

Worked on my new transition feel with some longer clubs; 5-iron, 3-hybrid, and 3-wood. Then did a superspeed workout. Finished with some driver swings with the new feel. Getting good clubhead speed, and nice ballspeed/carry on good strikes, but something just feels off with the driver swing that I can't figure out. I'm wondering if swinging driver in my backyard in a relatively confined space gets into my head. I have some psychological scar tissue from some balls missing the net and ricocheting all over the yard. I might have to get to the range to hit driver swinging freely.

-Peter

• Administrator

Day 345 - December 9, 2020

Short game practice on the green with Mike Bender and Kevin Kirk at the Teacher of the Year conference in Pinehurst, NC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 59: Went to a range today that I usually go to for hitting off grass. They installed a mat in the spring behind the grass tees. It’s a really nice mat similar to my Real Feel mat.  I had more give then the mats on concrete. It’s built on crushed stone and stone dust. Best part is I was by myself.

I warmed up then did a drill trying to hit high and low with each club. I did partial and full shots. Also mixed in trying to hit fades, which I struggle with. It was windy and about 42F. I only did two driver swings, but they were pretty good. Then I did a few long pitches with my 9 iron.

Finished trying to hit it into a net that was about 130 out. I tried partial 5, 6 and 7 irons. The wind was crazy, sometimes in my face and sometimes from the right. Gusts were 25ish. I came so close. It was fun.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 7 December 12   Spent about 30 minutes on the range, working on my move from the top, trying to get in the best position to hit the ball versus my historic over the top move.  Then went to the golf course and shot 80 on the new Piper Course at Lakewood National in Sarasota/Bradenton, FL.   It opened earlier this year.

The greens have LOTS of undulation, and are very hard -- since this is the first year.  I learned that the hard way when I had a simple chip onto the green and the undulation took it off the green and 50 feet from it!!  Yikes, starting with a double bogey was not the way I wanted to go.  But sucked it up, and was 6 over for the remaining 17 holes. Feel great I did not have a single three putt, since others in my group had several AND I was warned about the greens/

Now to spend 15-20 minutes practicing my putting on the three foot ruler.

• Administrator

Day 346 - December 10, 2020

Played Pinehurst #4 and then spent 45 minutes on the range, and another 45 minutes on the chipping green. Then played Thistle Dhu twice. I two-putted everything except one crazy hole I didn't finish. I won 33 points to Natalie's 3 in skins (1, 2, 3 points for 6, 6, 6 holes).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 363

Continuing work on my new transition feel. Did it today with a variety of short and long clubs, and alternated clubs between shots to mix the practice up. I'm hitting the ball really crisp with just about every club, although start lines vary a bit. The exception is with driver, where I just can't find the center of the face at all right now. I still think this is related to anxiety of ball ricochet property damage or personal injury, so I'm going to have to get to the range to work on the feel with driver.

Edit: Maybe I can try hitting some foam balls with driver and I'll feel a little more free to swing away.

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

DAY 8 December 11th.   Started the morning with a chipping lesson.  This area of my game has been my nemesis for lots of years..  I have taken lessons from a variety of instructors from Leadbetter to Pelz... and no one has fixes this issue of my game.  If I was to use some measure like HCP.. my chipping and short pitches ... I would be a 48 HCP at least.

However, today, I worked with an instructor who offered new insights to my issues, and we worked for an hour,... at the end I was a lot clearer on concepts to be practiced, and a way to practice.  So I headed for the chipping/short game area and worked on the ideas for a couple of hours.   While I have a long was to go, for the first time ever, I have a way of getting to where I need to be.   We worked on Tempo, ball placement, club-turf interactions, softening my arms, and a LOT more rotation than I have ever used.  So for the next week I will work on the drills assigned and next Friday we will do a check in on progress.  Now off to Google Play Store for a good metronome :-) 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Day 347 - December 11, 2020

Played Tanglewood (Championship Course) with @NCGolfer and @NatalieB.

Day 60: Worked on my priority piece hitting into my net. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 364

Forgot to post yesterday, but did a superspeed workout.

Today I played 18. My lower back was really stiff, and it was a cold, wet, and windy morning, so the golf was not good. Only positive takeaway was that I added a new birdie for the TST birdie challenge thing.

-Peter