IGNORED

Scottsdale - Pre Book Tee times or Take the risk

Chanceman
Note: This thread is 2217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to Scottsdale later in the year and wondering if we should pre book tee times at our selected courses or wing it and use Golf Now while we are there and try to pick up a bargain? The plan is to play Saguaro, Monument, Raptor, Stadium and Boulders North.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're coming all the way from Australia?   Pre-book.   For gosh sakes, how much do you really care about saving a few bucks when you're coming all the way from Australia? 

Fair call although the budget is limited and I could book all these courses for next week at quite a discount. Going for 10 days so I might book the main 5 (Saguaro etc) and stay flexible on the others which are not yet definite. ie Choosing from Talking Stick, Quintero, Verde River, Ak Chin, Raven and one or two others.

• 2 weeks later...

The Troon Card looks good. We were planning to play 4 of their courses. With 4 in our group we might even buy two! So thanks.

Definitely pre-book.   depending on the time of year, those couses fill up.  

when are you planning on going? 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

34 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Not going until late November so this is all pre-planning.

just asking due to pricing    You may be better off, price-wise, to play both courses at each Venue.   i.e. instead of just playing Troon North monument, play monument and pinnacle and remove TPC stadium from your list.   If you purchase both rounds and play both within 5 days, you get like 20% off the second round.   

Also, if the time you go is negotiable.  I would move the trip to sometime before September 1st.    Deal with the heat.   Pay like half price.   (that said, I am not uncomfortable playing in extreme heat so it works out for me.  but, Alot of people do complain about it.   just my 2 cents) 

check out my swing here

Yes I realize that November is not ideal but it's the best fit for everyone in the group. We plan to buy the Troon Card so that will save a lot. Also we want to play as wide a range of courses as possible so one round only at each of Troon North, We-Ko-Pa, Grayhawk, Talking Stick and Boulders plus Quintero, AkChin, and Mountain Shadows. I will book in advance where possible and chance it for the others. Price is not a major factor but you save if you can without compromising the plan.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:27 PM, Chanceman said:

Yes I realize that November is not ideal but it's the best fit for everyone in the group. We plan to buy the Troon Card so that will save a lot. Also we want to play as wide a range of courses as possible so one round only at each of Troon North, We-Ko-Pa, Grayhawk, Talking Stick and Boulders plus Quintero, AkChin, and Mountain Shadows. I will book in advance where possible and chance it for the others. Price is not a major factor but you save if you can without compromising the plan.

If you are getting the Troon card I'd play almost all Troon courses. Do not travel out here and play Mountain Shadows. It is a goat ranch par 3 course. If driving isn't an issue, Wickenburg Ranch is good but may be a bit cold in Nov. Sunridge canyon is on that card which is a scenic course. Phoenician I wouldn't play as it is super overrated. I've heard Poston Butte is great but it is too far for me to drive since I would have to drive past 100 courses to get to it. I like Golf Club of Estrella. Those are the troon courses off the top of my head.

Trollin' is the life

Interesting you say Wickenburg Ranch. There seem to be quite a lot of positive comments about it. It was not on my radar at first but now I am thinking it is not to be missed - and it is on the Troon Card. How does it rate with say Talking Stick, Ak Chin, Quintero and Boulders? 

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

Interesting you say Wickenburg Ranch. There seem to be quite a lot of positive comments about it. It was not on my radar at first but now I am thinking it is not to be missed - and it is on the Troon Card. How does it rate with say Talking Stick, Ak Chin, Quintero and Boulders? 

It is a great course with a decent amount of elevation but it may be cold in Nov. It's way above Talking Stick (which is just ok. I really only like the South Course) and on par with the rest of them. Quintero and Boulders are great.  Ak Chin is a really fun track but I only played it once years ago when it was private. My buddies talk about it though all the time.

Trollin' is the life

Interesting. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Boulders North or South? TS Oodham or Pipaash? TN Monument or Pinnacle? WKP Saguaro or Cholla? GH Raptor or Talon? Also River Verde pops up. Appreciate your thoughts.

26 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Interesting. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Boulders North or South? TS Oodham or Pipaash? TN Monument or Pinnacle? WKP Saguaro or Cholla? GH Raptor or Talon? Also River Verde pops up. Appreciate your thoughts.

I have only played one of the Boulders and I don't remember which one. TS which ever one was the south course since they renamed them. WKP I like them both equally but the consensus is Saguaro is better, Raptor for sure and yeah the Rio Verde courses are nice. There is 2 18's and there is a course that was called Vista Verde out there that is great. It has a different name now.  Disclaimer is those are just my opinions and you will get many different ones.

Trollin' is the life

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

Great questions-

boulders- I haven’t played in a decade.  No opinion.

talking stick- see above

troon north - pinnacle is the better course for replay-ability, but monument is much more memorable if you just play once.  In your situation, I’d vote monument. 

Wi-ko-pa - flip a coin.  They’re both great.

greyhawk - I’ve always liked talon a bit bettor but they’re my 2 favorite courses. I’m playing all 36 in June 2nd.  I’ll let you know my opinion after that. 

Dont know river verde. 

Dont sleep on Gold Canyon-dinosaur. Top notch scenery course.  A bit cheaper, but also lacking nice clubhouse facilities. 

check out my swing here

I play all these courses regularly.  It all depends on what you're looking for and price points.

Don't do TPC.  Waste of money and course way overrated.  Both Troons are excellent as are both Boulders (South is the better of the two).  Both WeKoPa courses are excellent and the Cholla is a more desert-target style course than Saguaro.  I think the Cholla is a more beautiful, but more difficult course.  I personally find Greyhawk overrated, but they are always in nice shape and have great practice/clubhouse facilities.  Quintero is generally excellent as well, and is a lot of locals favorite course in the Valley. Quintero is a tough course as well.

Sun Ridge Canyon is a personal favorite despite it being somewhat challenging, and Eagle Mountain is close by there and it is very scenic and less difficult.  I've taken lots of out of town guests there and they have enjoyed it.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you're coming from Australia I really think you should look into working in a round at Seven Canyons in Sedona.  It is truly a special place, and absolutely unforgettable.  If I could only play one more round of golf in AZ it would be there. I have played Pebble, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, all the Bandon Courses, Torrey Pines, Kapalua Plantation, The Prince course on Kauai, and Seven Canyons is on equal footing with them as far as a phenomenal experience just due to setting alone.

Talking Stick is ok, Greyhawk is better. Ak Chin southern dunes is always in great shape and more of a links style course, but it's a drive.  If you're driving that far then Quintero, Wickenburg, Seven Canyons are better IMO.

Hope that helps, and let us know what you end up doing!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip on Seven Canyons, Goubli. It does seem to be an excellent varation on the Scottsdale courses, so I will be contacting their pro through mine. I am also going to try to get on the Outlaw course at Desert Mountain and if that works out I will have to drop off something like Boulders or Talking Stick. 

I’ve always wanted to play any of the Desert Mountain courses, so you should definitely play that if you can. 

Drop talking stick for sure if you can play either DM or 7C. I’d not hesitate to drop Boulders for those courses too. TS is a big drop from those courses. I just played there and they cut down a lot of vegetation and I don’t care for the current look. 

Note: This thread is 2217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!