IGNORED

JPX900 Hot Metal Corrosion

Gibby26
Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

FWIW, I played Mizuno MP-57s for 4 years with no issues whatsoever. They got a lot of use too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Played Ping since 1986, and customer service has always been great. I will never consider Mizuno after reading this. I once cracked a TaylorMade driver that was out of warranty, and they replaced it for free.

I'm not sure we're being told the whole story here, or something is off about this whole thing, because those pics in the OP and subsequent posts are unlike anything I've ever seen from Mizuno.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

FWIW, I played Mizuno MP-57s for 4 years with no issues whatsoever. They got a lot of use too.

Yep. I've got a set that's much older than that, and they are better looking, too.

I'm going to reach out to Mizuno to see what's up here. I don't currently play Mizuno but I don't think they make a product that's faulty like this topic is suggesting.

To be clear, I don't think @Gibby26 is intentionally saying anything untrue or something, but I'd like to hear Mizuno's response myself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The shop I work in sells a ton of Mizuno products. I’m surprised by both the scratches and rust you’re seeing and the response from Mizuno.  We’ve always had great customer support. And my JPX 900 Tours with nearly a full season of play still look almost new.

If you’re playing in sandy soil, you might get some surface scratches but they shouldn’t be deep enough to rust. Something is wrong here.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

I agree. There’s something not right. I’ve played at the same course for several years and never experience this my my Ping G irons. I’ve attached a photo of my Ping G SW and it’s condition for the same playing conditions. A big difference. It’s almost as if the Mizunos are soft. 

56CCCE6F-A6E6-46F1-A410-47422EBE64AE.jpeg

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Gibby26 said:

I agree. There’s something not right.

Please elaborate on the details of what you said when you contacted Mizuno and what they said, and who you talked to.

I could post many, many pictures of old Mizuno irons. So could @georgep. Or irons from any other manufacturer.

I think it's quite likely either:

• You don't have actual Mizuno irons.
  • You got a mistake from Mizuno, an untreated club, something…
  • Something else is at play here.

I don't think that, if pressed, Mizuno would not offer to take the club back and send you a replacement, either. I think they'd absolutely want to capture that club to see why it is failing so spectacularly.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can say with utmost confidence that the PW played one round and later that day showed corrosion. It was sent to Mizuno. 1 week later I played a round minus the PW. The 9 iron then showed the same problem. Monday my AG shop advises me “I have just spoken to mizuno returns, they class rusting as not a warranty issue, they term it as inappropriate care, they advise to:

Remove headcovers after playing

Keep cavity and grooves dry with a soft towel

Avoid storage in extreme temperatures.

Not sure how I feel regards above, it feels that mizuno aren't in support of us.”

There’s nothing more to add other than what’s been said and facts withheld. I’ve no issue with the clubs but do on corrosion. 

I should also add I’ve posted on Mizuno forums. Initially they commented and to return the irons via the retailer. I advised that this had been done. Since then, nothing!

The club was returned through the retailer American Golf here in the U.K. 

It seems like your set has a coating issue, like it wasn't hardened all the way. If you only spoke with the people at Mizuno about the corrosion, it may be worth another call focusing on issues with the club finish instead. They may be more responsive to that.

Here’s are the faces of a used JPX 900 Hot Metal P and 9-iron that have many more rounds on them than the OP’s appear to and they have no deep scratches or rust. There’s dirt in the grooves but that’s about it. I pulled these off the used rack at the shop.

AF2010AE-DAAA-4093-86D3-636EAFEBE935.jpeg

9153F331-5934-40B6-BF5E-347630D8A7B6.jpeg

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

I’ve spoken to Mizuno. Same outcome as published. The scratches are apparently related to striking small stones. Mizuno could not explain why the clubs scratched the way they did but my Pings did not. They explained that was not the answer I wanted to hear but that was the situation. Not to worry, the clubs are going back to AG and going to be fitted for something else. Not ideal but I’m not prepared to pay good money for something that cannot withstand normal playing conditions. Certainly would not touch Mizuno again. 

• Administrator

I called my Mizuno contact and he said you should absolutely not have that issue and they’d take them back instantly.

Something continues to feel off here.

Brand new legit clubs don’t behave that way. I’ve never seen it.

And no need to keep talking up PINGs. Over the last year several people here had the thin coating on their PING irons peel.

Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!