IGNORED

Extreme lie angle help

Subaroozz
Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So when Bryson Dechaminiamolomous turned pro a few years ago, his single length irons made some noise.  Cobra started selling a set of single length irons, and there were some threads on here about it, yada yada yada.  Interesting concept, but what I haven't been able to find talk about is the lie angle.  Apparently his lie angle is about 73 degrees, which is steeper than a standard putter at about 70 degrees.

Has anyone cranked a 7 iron up to a 70 degree lie angle and tried it out?  I'd like to, but I don't have the tools to do so, plus I think it'd break the club.  Even the guy at the golf shop I asked for help said it would break the club (and scoffed at the dumb idea).  I swung a putter like a iron and it seemed interesting.  I think it would be fun to try it with a spare club that I didn't mind breaking.

My question is: 

1. Has anyone tried this?

2. Any tips on how I can bend the club myself?

3. Any more experienced golf techs willing to adjust a club for me if I mail it to you? (I'd pay you, obviously)

Thanks for your help, guys.

• Administrator

The typical lie angle for a 7-iron is about 62°, so bending it to even 70° is probably not advisable.

Bryson is a pretty tall dude, with a relatively upright stance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just want to give the OP some kudos on getting that "Dech...." guy's last name down in print.  :banana:

As for 70+ degree clubs, would the conventional grip still work? Or, would more of a palm grip (Moe Norman) work better?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

56 minutes ago, Patch said:

I just want to give the OP some kudos on getting that "Dech...." guy's last name down in print.  :banana:

As for 70+ degree clubs, would the conventional grip still work? Or, would more of a palm grip (Moe Norman) work better?

I switched back to a non-interlocking newbie grip a few years ago, I like it better.  And I've messed around with a palm grip when trying to mimic Moe's single plane style swing a few times.  I think you're right though, Bryson's swing especially, a lot of arms, not so much wrists.  Swing a putter, that's how I imagine this going.

Still, any tips on where I can get an iron crafted like this?  Ima try calling a club manufacturer directly and asking what they could do for me.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

The typical lie angle for a 7-iron is about 62°, so bending it to even 70° is probably not advisable.

Bryson is a pretty tall dude, with a relatively upright stance.

I'm 6'1''

On 2/15/2018 at 9:29 AM, Subaroozz said:

So when Bryson Dechaminiamolomous turned pro a few years ago, his single length irons made some noise.  Cobra started selling a set of single length irons, and there were some threads on here about it, yada yada yada.  Interesting concept, but what I haven't been able to find talk about is the lie angle.  Apparently his lie angle is about 73 degrees, which is steeper than a standard putter at about 70 degrees.

Has anyone cranked a 7 iron up to a 70 degree lie angle and tried it out?  I'd like to, but I don't have the tools to do so, plus I think it'd break the club.  Even the guy at the golf shop I asked for help said it would break the club (and scoffed at the dumb idea).  I swung a putter like a iron and it seemed interesting.  I think it would be fun to try it with a spare club that I didn't mind breaking.

My question is: 

1. Has anyone tried this?

2. Any tips on how I can bend the club myself?

3. Any more experienced golf techs willing to adjust a club for me if I mail it to you? (I'd pay you, obviously)

Thanks for your help, guys.

I've been a professional club builder for many years and have adjusted the lie angle on thousands of clubs, but never 11*.  The general rule-of-thumb is forged irons can be bent up to 4*.  They can go more than that, but the chance of snapping a hosel increases exponentially when you go beyond that. The most I've ever tried was 7*, and it was successful, but it created more anxiety than I like.

To answer your question, it's not something you can do without a loft/lie machine, and for someone who has no experience bending clubs, 10-11* is not recommended for a first try!

Here is the thing...yes, I realize we are talking about 1-length clubs in general, but let's just talk about the 6 iron for a moment.  What is the lie angle of your current 6 iron?  My guess is somewhere between 61-64*  I know you're wanting to do this just as an experiment, but I honestly don't think it will work.  Bryson's lie angles are so far from normal it's crazy.  But 70 or 73* isn't the key to making a 1-length set work.  

If you want to try it just to see what happens, ask that guy at your local shop who you spoke with before and ask him how many degrees he is willing to bend your club.  If it's 3 or 4*, have him do it and go hit it.  That should give you an idea if you're onto something or not.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

I've been a professional club builder for many years and have adjusted the lie angle on thousands of clubs, but never 11*.  The general rule-of-thumb is forged irons can be bent up to 4*.  They can go more than that, but the chance of snapping a hosel increases exponentially when you go beyond that. The most I've ever tried was 7*, and it was successful, but it created more anxiety than I like.

To answer your question, it's not something you can do without a loft/lie machine, and for someone who has no experience bending clubs, 10-11* is not recommended for a first try!

Here is the thing...yes, I realize we are talking about 1-length clubs in general, but let's just talk about the 6 iron for a moment.  What is the lie angle of your current 6 iron?  My guess is somewhere between 61-64*  I know you're wanting to do this just as an experiment, but I honestly don't think it will work.  Bryson's lie angles are so far from normal it's crazy.  But 70 or 73* isn't the key to making a 1-length set work.  

If you want to try it just to see what happens, ask that guy at your local shop who you spoke with before and ask him how many degrees he is willing to bend your club.  If it's 3 or 4*, have him do it and go hit it.  That should give you an idea if you're onto something or not.  

Thank you for the thought out reply.  This was the kind of response/advice I was hoping for, from an experienced club builder.  I will continue my quest.  And if I ever do get a functioning iron, I'll post a video. 

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!