IGNORED

Training for Both Golf and Hockey

Themightyoz
Note: This thread is 2224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I am an avid golfer and I also play hockey in the winter.  I would really like to improve my golf to the point where I can compete at a high level in amateur events if possible.  I also would like to keep improving my hockey skills so that I can contribute to my team.  I am wondering how much of an offseason I should have from golf every year to still move forward.  Adult hockey practices run from November to the end of March so I was thinking maybe I could focus on golf from April to October and then hockey from November to March.  That way I am dedicating 32 weeks a year to golf and 20 weeks to hockey.  That appears to be the minimum practice required for kids who are in their early teens to be comepetetive.  I'm less concerned about getting better at hockey because I know that it will be very hard to catch people who have been skating since they were kids. 

For those who have played at high levels do you think 5 months away from golf is too long?  Would it be worth going with a shorter golf offseason where I'm not swinging clubs? 

What would be the effect of training both at the same time lets say golf Mon/wed/Fri and hockey Tue/Thu.  During the golf off season?  Would I just end up confusing myself?  

My local golf dome sells a winter pass for Nov 1-Mar 31.  

As a bit of context I have been playing for 2 years and have yet to break a hundred.  Have probably played 50 rounds in that time.  Love the team aspect of hockey and the battle aspect.  Love the golf for its analytical nature and being outside.  

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

If you want to play high level amateur events, you're already well behind.

Guys who played high-level amateur events as college aged kids can barely get by ignoring the game a chunk of the year with their regular jobs. Ignoring it 40% of the year as a 37 handicapper adult beginner will likely not work.

If you've been playing golf for two years, and you're still a 37 index, you likely aren't the Greg Norman type who has a super skill set that you just didn't uncover as a youth (he got to scratch within a year of picking up the game, give or take).

I give you very very small odds of achieving your goals giving golf only 60% of your attention throughout the year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Training for Both Golf and Hockey

I appreciate the honesty.  I'm mostly just trying to be competitive and plan on sticking to playing in tournaments that have flights so I can play at a level I can be competive at my skill level.  My overall goal is to play in the World Masters Games in 2021.  What would be reasonable goals do you think given that I do work full time.  Would it be better to just focus on golf?  I could always do a few early am hockey practices in place of cardio workouts and do the winter range work in the evenings.

WITB

• Administrator

Golf doesn't have to be hours a week. Even 15-30 minutes of practice three to four times a week could be a good amount of practice during an "off season."

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love golf because it is individual, outdoors in beautiful places and I don't have to worry about balance and dynamic hand eye coordination as much as I do in hockey.  

That much said whenever I play on my hockey team I really feel that I want to get better at that game too.  

So that is my dilemma how much energy should I place on either activity in order to still move forward in golf.  How much hockey is worth doing to be considered cross training for golf.

A little background.  I am 35 this year and have only gotten deep into golf in the last three years.  I learnt how to skate when I was 23.  I also have very slight cerebral palsy which affects my balance and muscle tension such that I get tight very easily.  This is probably why I have suffered a lot of soft tissue injuries since picking up sports including a level 2 MCL sprain and a shoulder injury.   Needless to say I was much more brains than athletic ability growing up so I have a lot of catching up to do.    I am extremely proud of how far I've come from being terrified of going to the gym to where I am now, but I want to keep improving.  

So here are the options as I see them:

1. Keep playing on my team but focus all my other time on getting better at golf
2. Play on my team and do once or twice weekly on ice practice early mornings during the winter to develop hockey skills.  Practice my golf in the evenings one hour a night at the Golf Dome 3x week throughout the winter and as my sole sport in summer.
3. Hang up the clubs in November and pick them up again after playoffs end in March so as to not do two sports at once.
4. Do both all year alternating day to day which one I practice.

WITB

I use to play hockey and soccer.   As I got older the level of play passed me by.   I could no longer skate with the young guys and when playing soccer, speed kills.   I occasionally play each but it's more of a pick up game and social event than anything.    I decided to take golf more seriously and it has become my sport passion.   

I can't answer your question for you, that is something only you will be able to answer.   How long are you looking to play competitive hockey?   Have you had any serious injuries from playing?  (Broken jaw, lost teeth)   You won't be able to compete at the level you currently are at in 10 years but if you were to put more effort and time in golf lessons, in 10 years you could become a competitive golfer.  

Just my $0.02

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

As a hockey player, you have the hand to eye coordination. Also the slap shot has similar properties to the full golf swing. 

I started playing in local tournaments 4 years ago, I did not make my first cut until last year. There is a huge difference between a casual round and tournament golf. 

Stick with it and give yourself ample prep time. That includes training indoors working on short game techniques.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a 58 year old, I just play pick up hockey once a week from Nov to March. I just skate my 45 sec shift for pure enjoyment. I always warm up with 15 minutes of indoor spinning followed by resistance band exercises. Then go play pick up hockey. When I get home after the game, I always do my cool down routine: 15 minutes indoor spinning intervals, stretching routine, and drink a protein shake. 

I use the hockey warm up/cool down routine when I play a round of golf or practice at the driving range. 

Note: This thread is 2224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!