IGNORED

Anyone happen to know about installing stereo systems?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 1927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jacob has gotten some stereo equipment installed in "my" truck because that's what he will be driving when he starts. The guy that installed most of the stuff has quit responding to us and has yet to get us the box. So, I'm tired of waiting on him and I'm going to buy my own box and finish the install. All that is left is securing the box, adding his subs to it, and connecting to the amp. Is it as simple as it seems? The box will go under the rear seat of my crew cab silverado. Anyway, just checking to see if anyone in here knew about that stuff.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Is it as simple as it seems?

Yes, basically the Head Unit will have the output to the Amp with colored wires which represent Pos & Neg terminals.
They also provide front and rear separation for adjusting the sound.

All speaker wire has the "+" & "-" imprinted on the cables, use a quality cable for better sound.
Most installation manuals will have the basic wire configurations required.
Make sure both Head Unit and Amp are wired to fuses, either direct or inline.

The Amp will have "In & Out" which designate (In from Head Unit & Out to speakers)

Make sure the Power Source wiring is correct or it may damage the units.
Most units have fused protection for ground faults, with either internal or external access for replacement.

Systems are generally installed with an On/Off switch for Amp usage.
Head Units supply roughly 65 watts to speakers and the Amp boost the Watts output for higher volume levels
without distorting the sound.

Good luck, read the manual carefully before hand and use it for reference when needed.
Also, call any local seller if you have questions or contact the manufacture.

Generally the most difficult part of the job is routing the wires under carpet and into the dash.
Locating the vehicles power source and grounds can also be tricky.

I'll usually bench test systems, using a 12 volt battery to be sure everything works before installing.
It sucks trying to trouble shoot things once they are installed.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

(edited)

It's even easier than that. The head unit and door speakers have been installed. The guy couldn't finish because he brought the wrong box. Now he is avoiding us and I'm tired of it. So all that is left is installing the box in the truck and wiring the subs. I just don't know the protocol for securing the box to the truck. The subs seem like an easy install. They are only like 3 feet from the amp that is already installed as well.

And thanks so much for the response.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

14 hours ago, TN94z said:

don't know the protocol for securing the box to the truck

Post the brand name / model number of this box.
Either it may have mounting brackets or angle braces which would be secured with fasteners.

2 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Post the brand name / model number of this box.
Either it may have mounting brackets or angle braces which would be secured with fasteners.

I will once I get it. I can ask at the shop where I am buying it. I'm buying it locally. It's a prefab box for 235

Bryan A

Is it a manufactured item or a custom build?

A search for - "stereo prefab box for rear seat Silverado" pulled up many images of installs.
Most are mounted under the seat which flips up, or floor mounted.

See the source image

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Is it a manufactured item or a custom build?

A search for - "stereo prefab box for rear seat Silverado" pulled up many images of installs.
Most are mounted under the seat which flips up, or floor mounted.

See the source image

He said pre fab so I'm assuming manufactured. It's an under the seat box where the seats flip up. The amp is actually mounted where the box in this pic is mounted.

It just so happens that the original guy called before lunch today telling me he was headed to the house with the box we have been waiting months on, so at least I didn't have to go buy the more expensive box. I will post a pic of it once I get home.

Bryan A

• 9 months later...
(edited)

Old thread but same topic. I want to install a little system in an old truck I have. What are your suggestions on the best place to buy a box and should I get sealed or ported? My focus would be mostly on crips highs and good mids with some good bass. Having loud bass is not a priority. So does that put me in the sealed category? 

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

I probably can't be of much help. Back when I use to put stereos together, we were still using wires. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, TN94z said:

Old thread but same topic. I want to install a little system in an old truck I have. What are your suggestions on the best place to buy a box and should I get sealed or ported? My focus would be mostly on crips highs and good mids with some good bass. Having loud bass is not a priority. So does that put me in the sealed category? 

I've always had good luck with Crutchfield Audio. They have good instructions and customer support. The also have wiring harnesses if you already have the stereo.

og-meta.jpg

Since 1974 we've loved helping folks find the right gear. Get FREE 2-day shipping, one-on-one advice from our Virginia-based Advisors...

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I've always had good luck with Crutchfield Audio. They have good instructions and customer support. The also have wiring harnesses if you already have the stereo.

og-meta.jpg

Since 1974 we've loved helping folks find the right gear. Get FREE 2-day shipping, one-on-one advice from our Virginia-based Advisors...

Yeah, I looked on their site but didn't see a box for my truck. No big deal. I know I can get one from the local audio shop but it will just be more expensive.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 1927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!