IGNORED

PING Glide 2 Stealth Wedges

Note: This thread is 2004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 hours ago, amished said:

Any other reviews or thoughts on the wedges after more play?  I have an old 56* wedge that I'm hoping to swap out and this one is on my short list of wedges to pick up as a replacement.

I like the 56 ES - has a light feel through the ball and is versatile, the sole width and grind do well out of the bunker given only 8 of bounce - which makes that wedge more versatile. Thinking of selling Vokeys and customizing a few Stealths in terms of a Nippon and GP MCC +4 grips.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I like the 56 ES - has a light feel through the ball and is versatile, the sole width and grind do well out of the bunker given only 8 of bounce - which makes that wedge more versatile. Thinking of selling Vokeys and customizing a few Stealths in terms of a Nippon and GP MCC +4 grips.

The ES was the grind I was looking at.  Did you just decide to pick up the ES grind or did you test the other grinds as well that were available to you?

I guess my question is what would the SS grind get you over the ES.  The less bounce in the ES is the biggest difference but it seems like the grind adds "effective" bounce that can get through sand easier but I don't understand all of the other potential implications.  I definitely don't typically take much of a divot in 98% of my shots so I know the WS isn't for me but the difference between the SS and ES seem marginal to an uneducated eye like mine.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

I'm still happy with my Glide 1.0s, but if I were to get new wedges, I'd go with these.  I would probably re-consider lofts compared to my current set, as I carry a 49.5 degree U-wedge iron (G400) and a 50 degree Glide 1.0 wedge.  But I hit them different distances, so maybe not.  Do they do gap figuring for wedges?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I've definitely had more of a focus on my other clubs in the bag, I got a Glide 1.0 52* SS when they came out and figured that it was good enough for all of my shots around the green.  Now that I've been able to practice more, I've been able to be more confident with higher lofted wedges and wanted to upgrade my 56* Warrior No-SpinTM wedge.  Also have an old 60* Hogan Forged oval shaped sand wedge thing from when I first bought the used set back in ... 2005?  Not sure how old it is but there are times I want more loft than 52 and I don't think my 56 will do what I want.  Sometimes that club will pop straight up and land exactly where and how I want and other times are not so much...

That's what's sparked looking at my wedges again, since I pretty much have the rest of my bag sorted after a recent great used Iron Set find and purchase earlier this year.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Edel E-1 Putter

48 minutes ago, amished said:

The ES was the grind I was looking at.  Did you just decide to pick up the ES grind or did you test the other grinds as well that were available to you?

I guess my question is what would the SS grind get you over the ES.  The less bounce in the ES is the biggest difference but it seems like the grind adds "effective" bounce that can get through sand easier but I don't understand all of the other potential implications.  I definitely don't typically take much of a divot in 98% of my shots so I know the WS isn't for me but the difference between the SS and ES seem marginal to an uneducated eye like mine.

I was talking to the pro that I take lessons from when I get sideways, he was laughing that if you go try all the grinds you will just confuse yourself.  I picked the ES for my 54 because they said it was the ultimate sand club which is what I wanted to do with it.  I picked the SS for my 50 and 58 because they said it fit most players.  With the SS grind I can do anything, open it way up and hit a flop off the fairway, whatever.

• Upvote 1

Ended up just trying the ES 56* wedge at the store after work today and I was hitting it so crisply it was crazy.  They had the artificial sand and rough stuff there and I buried it as deep as I could and the club performed admirably.  Ended up buying it and taking it out to the course and I hit one of my most incredible shots I've ever hit with that club.  Was able to open up the face in thick rough and take a huge swing to get over a tree and land softly onto the green.  I think I've fallen in love...

• Like 2

Edel E-1 Putter

On 6/8/2018 at 8:26 AM, amished said:

I've hit the ES Grind  in previous Pings - fairly versatile. I'm thinking of the ES Grind in 56 and the SS Grind in 60. The SS sole is  narrower in comparison to the ES, so I think it will work well on tight lies and for versatility in the 60.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have 2 Glide 2.0 (58 and 56).  Hit well with them 80% of the time, though, due to my hiatus from golf, when I mishit I REALLY mishit.  They were two of the first clubs I acquired during my build of my new set. Still getting a bearing on touch and still hit a bit off target to the right and a bit hitting longer than I desire.  But best wedges I have ever owned. 

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 3 months later...

Almost 5.5 months with the Glides 2.0 Stealth in 50 SS, 56 ES and 60 SS - it's a good combo for me. The ES is excellent out of bunkers, rough, tight lies, chipping as is the 60 SS - holed a LW from below the green from the rough just two weeks ago. It just pops up nice and soft. Open, square - it doesn't matter - leadng edge stays low - excellent! Most versatile wedges I've owned, and I've owned a lot of different wedge OEM's.

As to the 50, for me, a 50 is a 50 - I could do my iron set 50 and be fine. But my irons are graphite and I prefer heavier steel in the 50 for chipping around greens. It offers more stability on shorter shots.

The Pings can get up in the air but you can flight them. My only wish is - I want Ping to offer the Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 in this head - although the AMT 2.0 may be in cooperation with Nippon - I wish it flighted a bit lower. Ping does not discount and if they are going to be proud, I would like more shaft choices designed for wedges - Nippon.

Feel? Excellent in 8620 steel. Such a big improvement over stainless. Grinds? They work.

As to wear, yes the black does wear off on the sole first - but it is more of a dull raw that blends in well with the black. The face will wear where hit, but it is the most durable black I've played, and I've played a lot of black wedges. But I need white paintfill for loft for easier ID. Hope this helps.

As to the Glide Forged, the grind appears to be between the SS and TS? Grind - less bounce - 8 on the LW. If I were playing a links course, it may work. Price? $199, which is $60 more than 2.0 Stealth. Only a slightly smaller head and no cavity - tungsten on toe moves COG to center, which helps. Good looking wedge - but only useful, I expect, if you come in shallow or neutral.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

3 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Almost 5.5 months with the Glides 2.0 Stealth in 50 SS, 56 ES and 60 SS - it's a good combo for me. The ES is excellent out of bunkers, rough, tight lies, chipping as is the 60 SS - holed a LW from below the green from the rough just two weeks ago. It just pops up nice and soft. Open, square - it doesn't matter - leadng edge stays low - excellent! Most versatile wedges I've owned, and I've owned a lot of different wedge OEM's.

As to the 50, for me, a 50 is a 50 - I could do my iron set 50 and be fine. But my irons are graphite and I prefer heavier steel in the 50 for chipping around greens. It offers more stability on shorter shots.

The Pings can get up in the air but you can flight them. My only wish is - I want Ping to offer the Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 in this head - although the AMT 2.0 may be in cooperation with Nippon - I wish it flighted a bit lower. Ping does not discount and if they are going to be proud, I would like more shaft choices designed for wedges - Nippon.

Feel? Excellent in 8620 steel. Such a big improvement over stainless. Grinds? They work.

As to wear, yes the black does wear off on the sole first - but it is more of a dull raw that blends in well with the black. The face will wear where hit, but it is the most durable black I've played, and I've played a lot of black wedges. But I need white paintfill for loft for easier ID. Hope this helps.

As to the Glide Forged, the grind appears to be between the SS and TS? Grind - less bounce - 8 on the LW. If I were playing a links course, it may work. Price? $199, which is $60 more than 2.0 Stealth. Only a slightly smaller head and no cavity - tungsten on toe moves COG to center, which helps. Good looking wedge - but only useful, I expect, if you come in shallow or neutral.

I paint filled mine with red, white and yellow to make it even more clear.  

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!