IGNORED

Steel or graphite, Rogue X irons

Note:Β This thread is 1794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've been fitted for G400's, orange, 2 degrees flat, Alta graphite.Β  Β I got all the spec's and paperwork but didn't buy (yet).Β  Β Today I went into the PGASuperstore (same place I got fitted at) and decided to hit a series of shots with multiple different clubs and my old beater, Titleist DCISL's.Β  Β I thought... what the heck, hit some of each before committing to the G400's.Β  What's the downside?Β  Hit AP1's, M4's, M3's, Cobra KingΒ F8's, G400's (again) and then Callaway Rogue X.Β  All but one went about... the same, good distance but not really much better than my 18 year old DCI's.Β  Good dispersion, feel was good... and... thenΒ I hit the Rogue X.Β  Dispersion was very good and I added 10-15 yards.Β Β Β Consistently.Β Β 

Since this wasn't a proper "fitting", rather me sampling a cluster of available 7 irons, I have some questions for the fitter and perhaps you folks may know the answers or at least prep me for asking future questions....

-Β  Graphite shafts... is there any downside ?Β  Seems like it's mostly positive.Β  I play with graphites now.

-Β  Club tests of the Rogue X indicate spin rates around 2500.Β  Seems.... low.Β  Β My approach shots with the old DCI's come in high andtypically stick within 1-3 feet of where they hit.

-Β  Β My G400's are flat by 2 degrees and I am assuming... I could order Rogue x's 1 or 2 flat (and that the fitter would check for that)

My prime concerns are spin for sticking on greens and any negatives on the graphite shafts as all the shafts I tried were steel.

Thoughts, experiences with the Rogue X and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Β 

Edited by altos

On 3/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, altos said:

bump....Β  Β has anyone even player Rogue X irons with graphite shafts ???

41Β° PW, 27Β° 7-iron... Nope.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/25/2018 at 8:46 PM, altos said:

Club tests of the Rogue X indicate spin rates around 2500.Β  Seems.... low.Β 

That's very low for a 7 iron.Β  2500 RPM is dipping down into driver levels of spin.Β  Was it adding 10-15 yards of carry or total distance?Β  Because if it's rolling an extra 10 yards that may not be great for holding greens.

As far as graphite shafts go, there's only a negative if they're too light for your swing speed or tempo.Β  But if you were fitted for them, then they're probably appropriate for you.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing:Β https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

15 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

That's very low for a 7 iron.Β  2500 RPM is dipping down into driver levels of spin.Β  Was it adding 10-15 yards of carry or total distance?Β  Because if it's rolling an extra 10 yards that may not be great for holding greens.

As far as graphite shafts go, there's only a negative if they're too light for your swing speed or tempo.Β  But if you were fitted for them, then they're probably appropriate for you.

With good strikes when I hit them, mine spun around 4500 rpm. But the descent angle is still high so it has a chance to stop.

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I've been hitting a Rogue 7 iron in my GOLFTEC sessions. My clubs are just too old to matter (Titleist 862 and a set of TM Bubble Shaft Ti).

I've been playing a set of Titleist AP3 irons, demos when I play at my club. Today, my instructor asked me if I would like to hit an AP3 7i for the lesson. I said I liked the Rogue from last week. He said that their testing has shown that the Rogue is longer than the AP3. I have not tried the Rogue X.

I like the Rogue. I'm looking forward to getting fitted for new irons. It will be shootout between the Rogue, AP3, and the new TM irons. So far, I'm really partial to the Rogue.

I am so ready for a new set of irons. And they will be graphite.

Maybe Kuro Kage. Any Kuro Kage players here?

Edited by CCC
Graphite shafts

Yesterday at Golf Galaxy, I hit both the Rogue and Rogue X both steel and graphite shafts.Β  Β I came away impressed.Β  Β I was leaning toward the graphite shafts for new clubs but after hitting these options I was really impressed with the Rogue steel shafts.Β  Β They just felt "right".

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

I got to hit all Rouge irons at a February golf expo. The Rogue X irons had the stockΒ KBS MAX shafts -Β Β 91Β grams - and were just too light.

Didn't have much feel at impact.

Callaway rep said the head design would allow older golfers to recapture and maybe surpass their distance of years past.

The 21* 5i might be good as a clear-out driving iron, but I suspect distance control for the Rogue X irons might not be very good.Β 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

7 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

I got to hit all Rouge irons at a February golf expo. The Rogue X irons had the stockΒ KBS MAX shafts -Β Β 91Β grams - and were just too light.

Callaway rep said the head design would allow older golfers to recapture and maybe surpass their distance of years past.

The 21* 5i might be good as a clear-out driving iron, but I suspect distance control for the Rogue X irons might not be very good.Β 

I've heard and seen mixed results in the review videos. Rick Shiels concluded that with the higher descent angle, the shorter clubs have a chance to hold a green.

I spoke with a Callaway Rep recently. (I don't think he likes me much). I asked him why in the world do you need such strong lofts in these irons? (The Rogue X). He said the CG is "much lower and further back" than the Rogue. (I know this is not necessarily true). The stock shaft is way too light. I hit some 205 yardersΒ with a stock 7-iron, which I want no part of.

I guess there would be a segment of players that would benefit from these clubs in a mid-weight shaft.

36 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

I play with a pretty good player who is distance obsessed, and he bought a set of these irons. It comes with 2 GW's
One is 46* the other 51*. The PW is 41*!!! He had to buy a THIRD 52* Gap to go with a 58* The longer irons might be useful as a hybrid replacement, but the overall set is a mess. Just go to the Callaway site, check the lofts. The bottom of the bag is a mess. As for my buddy? He couldn't hold a green, gave up on these, and just traded them for a set of Ping 700's. The third set of irons he's owned this year. He'll probably buy 3 more sets before the year is over. Like I said, he can play, but he's the type this set was made for. Someone who wants to say they hit an 8 when you hit a 6..Β 

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*Β  TaylormadeΒ  M2 15*Β  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22* Β  Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GWΒ  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*Β  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

On β€Ž3β€Ž/β€Ž25β€Ž/β€Ž2018 at 8:46 PM, altos said:

I've been fitted for G400's, orange, 2 degrees flat, Alta graphite.Β  Β I got all the spec's and paperwork but didn't buy (yet).Β  Β Today I went into the PGASuperstore (same place I got fitted at) and decided to hit a series of shots with multiple different clubs and my old beater, Titleist DCISL's.Β  Β I thought... what the heck, hit some of each before committing to the G400's.Β  What's the downside?Β  Hit AP1's, M4's, M3's, Cobra KingΒ F8's, G400's (again) and then Callaway Rogue X.Β  All but one went about... the same, good distance but not really much better than my 18 year old DCI's.Β  Good dispersion, feel was good... and... thenΒ I hit the Rogue X.Β  Dispersion was very good and I added 10-15 yards.Β Β Β Consistently.Β Β 

Since this wasn't a proper "fitting", rather me sampling a cluster of available 7 irons, I have some questions for the fitter and perhaps you folks may know the answers or at least prep me for asking future questions....

-Β  Graphite shafts... is there any downside ?Β  Seems like it's mostly positive.Β  I play with graphites now.

-Β  Club tests of the Rogue X indicate spin rates around 2500.Β  Seems.... low.Β  Β My approach shots with the old DCI's come in high andtypically stick within 1-3 feet of where they hit.

-Β  Β My G400's are flat by 2 degrees and I am assuming... I could order Rogue x's 1 or 2 flat (and that the fitter would check for that)

My prime concerns are spin for sticking on greens and any negatives on the graphite shafts as all the shafts I tried were steel.

Thoughts, experiences with the Rogue X and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Β 

If you're below a 16 or so, you'll probably be better off trying the G400's(way cheaper then 700's) or the regular Rogue irons before you buy.. Plenty of distance and forgiveness. If you're better then high single digits, go I series or Rogue Pro's maybe?

PING G400 Max 9*Β  TaylormadeΒ  M2 15*Β  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22* Β  Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GWΒ  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*Β  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

4 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

If you're below a 16 or so, you'll probably be better off trying the G400's(way cheaper then 700's) or the regular Rogue irons before you buy.. Plenty of distance and forgiveness. If you're better then high single digits, go I series or Rogue Pro's maybe?

Rogue Standard is a nice club. I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would. You can tell it's a game-improvement iron, but the numbers weren't as crazy as I thought they'd be. 180-185 yards with a 7-iron is a little crazy for me. But it does seem that these irons will hold a green.

I'm not one to say. I went from a Game-improvement iron (The EXi) to pure blades (CBX Blades).Β 

Ping is the pinnacle of Game-Improvement Irons. They have made excellent game-improvement irons since the Eye 2 (of which I own a set). You can't go wrong with PING if you are looking for forgiveness. I almost got a set of Ping iBlades but decided on the CBX blades instead.Β 

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

Rogue Standard is a nice club. I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would. You can tell it's a game-improvement iron, but the numbers weren't as crazy as I thought they'd be. 180-185 yards with a 7-iron is a little crazy for me. But it does seem that these irons will hold a green.

I'm not one to say. I went from a Game-improvement iron (The EXi) to pure blades (CBX Blades).Β 

Ping is the pinnacle of Game-Improvement Irons. They have made excellent game-improvement irons since the Eye 2 (of which I own a set). You can't go wrong with PING if you are looking for forgiveness. I almost got a set of Ping iBlades but decided on the CBX blades instead.Β 

I saw the thread where you were thinking of changing your set up a few months ago. The irons you bought are drop dead gorgeous. You made a great choice. Hope you're enjoying them!

I have a friend with pretty bad arthritis.Β  He is always seeking distance because he has to.Β  I think he hits a 7 iron 120 on a well struck shot.Β  He was fitted for the Rogue X and his "7" iron was going 135-138.

His set will be a 5 hybrid jumping to 7 iron on up.Β  The trackman data shows the dispersion was as good as his current 7 iron and the descent angle was higher.Β  With his old clubs he tended to land it short and let it release.Β  He has not received the clubs yet.

BUT it is a situation where if he wants to play from the same tees as everyone else he needs to find distance.Β  This club has a stronger loft, yes, its weight is far back giving the low loft height.Β  Does it spin less, sure.Β  He is not playing Augusta greens he will probably be OK.Β  The shaft is shorter than a club with classic loft and the head is big with lots of off center help.Β  The club is lighter to help with head speed.Β  So for him I think it makes sense that he try these clubs.Β  Would he be better hitting a longer shafted 5 iron in the same situation?Β  I don't think so.Β  This club was made for exactly his situation.Β  If you hit a 7 iron 150Β or more this club is not designed for you.

I can still hit the ball a decent distance but I am glad there are clubs like this out there for the time that my distance falls off because of age.

If the clubs were fitted for you, don't worry they are probably good to go. Once you get them go to the driving range and hit a couple of buckets of balls to get thr feel of them before going out on the course. ;-)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2018 at 10:25 PM, GrandStranded said:

I saw the thread where you were thinking of changing your set up a few months ago. The irons you bought are drop dead gorgeous. You made a great choice. Hope you're enjoying them!

The ground was so soft today... And the air was so damn heavy, I needed the Rogue X today... Just to almost hit what I normally do... I was consistently losing 20% or so... Due to the heavy air, spongy turf, and zero roll. Maybe I should have picked up a set of like 5-AW or so...Β 

I was playing the 380-yard, 14th.. Into the fan... I nutted my drive it went 210 yards. I hit a 4-iron from 170 as well as I couldΒ and barely caught the front edge... That would've been a 6-iron with the Rogue X.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:17 PM, inthecup said:

I have a friend with pretty bad arthritis.Β  He is always seeking distance because he has to.Β  I think he hits a 7 iron 120 on a well struck shot.Β  He was fitted for the Rogue X and his "7" iron was going 135-138.

His set will be a 5 hybrid jumping to 7 iron on up.Β  The trackman data shows the dispersion was as good as his current 7 iron and the descent angle was higher.Β  With his old clubs he tended to land it short and let it release.Β  He has not received the clubs yet.

BUT it is a situation where if he wants to play from the same tees as everyone else he needs to find distance.Β  This club has a stronger loft, yes, its weight is far back giving the low loft height.Β  Does it spin less, sure.Β  He is not playing Augusta greens he will probably be OK.Β  The shaft is shorter than a club with classic loft and the head is big with lots of off center help.Β  The club is lighter to help with head speed.Β  So for him I think it makes sense that he try these clubs.Β  Would he be better hitting a longer shafted 5 iron in the same situation?Β  I don't think so.Β  This club was made for exactly his situation.Β  If you hit a 7 iron 150Β or more this club is not designed for you.

I can still hit the ball a decent distance but I am glad there are clubs like this out there for the time that my distance falls off because of age.

I agree with the bolded statement fully. But supposedly, the Rogue W is supposed to be unisex. I think woman who swing in the high 40s-low 60s would benefit with about a set of 8-iron (31Β°), 9-iron (36Β°), PW (41Β°), AW (46Β°), GW (51Β°), and SW (56Β°). In my opinion, Anyone who drives it 125-160 yards. Seniors might add the 7-iron (27Β°) You go from 120 to 135-138... That will help you immensely. Men who swing more than 95 mph... Unless you have a masculinity complex don't really need these irons. Though the 4-iron (18.5Β°) would make a nice driving iron for some.Β 

I think the Rogue is a better bet for most mid-handicappers over the Rogue X.Β 

Product Specs

Mens Rogue X Irons Product Specs

Product Specs

Mens Rogue X Irons Product Specs

Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie Offset Graphite Swing Weight Steel Swing Weight
#4 18.5Β° RH / LH 39.00" 60.50Β° 0.320 D0 D1
#5 21Β° RH / LH 38.375" 61.25Β° 0.305 D0 D1
#6 24Β° RH / LH 37.75" 62.00Β° 0.290 D0 D1
#7 27Β° RH / LH 37.125" 62.50Β° 0.270 D0 D1
#8 31.5Β° RH / LH 36.50" 63.00Β° 0.240 D0 D1
#9 36Β° RH / LH 36.00" 63.50Β° 0.215 D0 D1
PW 41Β° RH / LH 35.75" 64.00Β° 0.185 D0 D1
AW 46Β° RH / LH 35.50" 64.00Β° 0.150 D0 D1
GW 51Β° RH / LH 35.25" 64.00Β° 0.125 D0 D1
SW 56Β° RH / LH 35.25" 64.00Β° 0.100 D0 D1

Aldila Synergy 60 Iron Graphite

Manufacturer Flex Shaft Weight Torque Kickpoint
Aldila Regular 60 mid low-mid
Aldila Stiff 61 mid low-mid

KBS Max 90 Steel

KBS Regular 91 mid-high low
KBS Stiff 92 mid-high low

Aldila Synergy 50 Iron Graphite

Aldila Light 57 mid low-mid
*Shaft specifications may vary due to cut length and manufacturer tolerances.
Β 

360 Face Cup and VFT

Β 

Tungsten Weighting for Optimal Flight and Control

Β 

Urethane Microspheres for Phenomenal Sound and Feel

Note:Β This thread is 1794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!