IGNORED

Plates on ulna and radius hurt graphite help?

Note: This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I am hoping someone has experience with this. I have titanium plates and screws on both bones in my forearm on my right arm from an injury. I golf right handed and I have stiff steel shafts. I am in pain 70% of my shots and my question is. 

Would graphite shafts be more forgiving on my arm? I’ve had the plates since I was 20 and I’m now 41 I doubt i’ll ever get them removed.

i have a graphite shafted pitching wedge that I swing for fun and it seems to be less energy transferring to my bones but it is very flexible and obviously not going to match my swing speed.

Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, Michael Pierce said:

i have a graphite shafted pitching wedge that I swing for fun and it seems to be less energy transferring to my bones but it is very flexible and obviously not going to match my swing speed.

Q: What is your swing speed? Is it possible you could move to a LITTLE more flexible shaft? I have found, yes, my graphite shafted clubs are a little less jarring. Another possibility might be a short "splint-type" device from wrist hinge to forearm. I've been looking for something to help with RA in my right wrist. So far, all I have found is KT tape which does help some. I'm going keep looking and will let you know. Also going to follow your question until we all come up with an answer. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have titanium in my left elbow, and wrist. I have yet to figure out a way to stop the pain. My pain usually sets in after my round. Sometimes the pain starts sooner, around the 15th hole. All I can do is manage the aches as they occurred. The pain  usually goes away by the next day. 

As I understand it, graphite shafts are longer than metal shafts. If this is true, a slower swing should give you the same distances you have now. Slower swing should mean less effect on your left arm, but I am not sure. 

My first question is do you take a divot with your irons? If so, perhaps learn to pick the ball clean off the turf, or at least take less of divot. Divots tend to jar the arms more. I take very small divots, if I take any at all. 

I would also suggest to not hit off mats when practicing. Mats can screw up healthy arms.

Does your arm hurt less when using driver, and your other metal woods?

Another thing that might help is using softer balls. 

There is a shaft made for folks with arthritis. I think it's called "sensicore" or something like that. It's designed to absorb more feed back into the hands, and arms. 

I wear two, extra thick gloves to help absorb feed back into my arms. Usually batting gloves, or water skiing gloves. Golf specific gloves don't help. 

Another thing I have done is given up distance in my long game by going to a slower, easier swing. Of course this also means I have to make up strokes with my short game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Not the same thing, but I have tendinitis is both forearms and found graphite shafts help quite a bit. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R9-460, 10.5 degrees, graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: MacGregor 1025 V-Foil forged irons, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados mallet, 35 inches with SuperStroke 2.0 grip                                                                                                      Ball: Titleist AVX yellow 

Note: This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!