IGNORED

Switch to new wedges on account of wear

Note: This thread is 2181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've enjoyed my Cleveland 588 RTG 56-deg sand wedge (14 deg bounce) with a raw finish for around 20 years.  I've wondered whether I'm losing out on having sharper grooves since this club is old.  Do you folks switch out a sand wedge periodically or just stick with the old trusted one?  

Thanks.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

31 minutes ago, MGN said:

I've enjoyed my Cleveland 588 RTG 56-deg sand wedge (14 deg bounce) with a raw finish for around 20 years.  I've wondered whether I'm losing out on having sharper grooves since this club is old.  Do you folks switch out a sand wedge periodically or just stick with the old trusted one?  

Thanks.

Most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you go to andrewricegolf.com a few pages back in the blog section he did spin tests. If I remember he used one wedge where the grooves had been ground off, leaving the face completely smooth.

Hope the page is still there....

Grovves from back then are now " illegal" but will probably spin the ball more than a new wedge.  I know my cally x forged from 2006 spin more than my cally pm grind wedges.

6 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Grovves from back then are now " illegal" but will probably spin the ball more than a new wedge. 

A new wedge will spin more than a wedge that has been used for 20 years.

Btw there isn't a huge difference in terms of performance between the new grooves and the old ones, especially from the fairway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

A new wedge will spin more than a wedge that has been used for 20 years.

Btw there isn't a huge difference in terms of performance between the new grooves and the old ones, especially from the fairway.

Maybe it's the Mack Daddy grooves from my old x forged wedges but " these" wedges spin the ball more than my pm grinds do.  I hit them both on the GC2 and our AG 3 trak at  work side by side.  The x forged lack some in distance too because of the excessive spin.

The x forged tears the covers on anything other than a pro-v.  PM grind is more of a drop and stop where the x forged I have to hit it 10 feet past the pin and hope it only backs up 10 feet.

The reason I got new wedges was I was sick of never being able to try another ball and having balls backing up off of greens and down a hill leaving me. 20 yard pitch back up.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, inthecup said:

Do you find your wedges releasing too much?  Would more spin be better?

Over time I had gotten accustomed to the increased release with my old 588.  When I tried my playing partner's new Cleveland RTX 2.0, I found the ball holding the green much better on full shots (which I prefer), but of course releasing less on chip shots around the greens (due to more spin).  I will adjust to the latter on chip shots and end up getting some new wedges.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I prefer the drop and stop.  Took some getting used to because the x forged on a 3/4 to full shot you could not control.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used one wedge for a LONG time.

I upgraded this year to a 3 auxiliary wedge set up, and plan to rotate every 2-3 years or so. Might change my mind, but even I can tell the difference with fresh grooves.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!