IGNORED

Looking for new iron recommendations

Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all!

I am currently looking to upgrade from my old Nike Ignite irons. A few years back i purchased a Taylormade M2 driver and was considering going with the 2016 M2 tour irons, possibly just the 2017 M2's, or 2017 M1 irons. But, I have seen quite a few people that have experienced the faces caving in on these irons. I have not measured my swing speed on a trackman, but with the Zepp 2.0 my driver swing speed is around 100mph. I am not sure if this would even be fast enough to cave these irons in. If it is, does anyone know if Taylormade will replace caved in M2 irons if I bought them used? With the release of the new M3 and M4 Irons the M2's and M1's can be found relatively cheap and lightly used on eBay. If not, what iron set (any manufacturer) would be comparable in terms of distance and forgiveness? Another option that I have thought about are the P790's.  Does anyone know if these are "too much club" for a 15 handicap? 

Heard the same problem about the M2. I traded my Pings in for the M4. First time I had a fitting and mine are +1 and the shaft is an inch longer than standard which surprised me because I'm only 5'10".

Here's the thing though. I now hit these irons further than I've ever hit any irons and I'm 70 years old. When the irons arrived, the pro who fitted me asked if I wanted to get distances. I only got 6 iron through sand wedge and I hit the 6 iron 168 yards. I can hit the sand wedge 95 yards. 

I told my wife I feel like a kid hitting the darn things but the M4's I have go a long way and the best thing is they go high and land soft. Best irons I've ever owned and I'm playing golf for 50 years. I don't want this to be a commercial because these weren't the only ones I hit. The new Cobras and Callaway rogues were great clubs too but I found the M4's to be the most forgiving. 

2 hours ago, fnlights said:

Hi all!

I am currently looking to upgrade from my old Nike Ignite irons. A few years back i purchased a Taylormade M2 driver and was considering going with the 2016 M2 tour irons, possibly just the 2017 M2's, or 2017 M1 irons. But, I have seen quite a few people that have experienced the faces caving in on these irons. I have not measured my swing speed on a trackman, but with the Zepp 2.0 my driver swing speed is around 100mph. I am not sure if this would even be fast enough to cave these irons in. If it is, does anyone know if Taylormade will replace caved in M2 irons if I bought them used? With the release of the new M3 and M4 Irons the M2's and M1's can be found relatively cheap and lightly used on eBay. If not, what iron set (any manufacturer) would be comparable in terms of distance and forgiveness? Another option that I have thought about are the P790's.  Does anyone know if these are "too much club" for a 15 handicap? 

Wait for August/September ....Ping is coming out with the i500. Bam!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whatever you do, try them all. When I went for a driver I liked the M4 and Rogue driver. Pro told me to keep my current driver. Even though they looked better, they didn't deliver anything my current driver didn't.

The M4's do look like really nice irons. Hopefully Taylormade addressed the caving club face issue! I plan on going up to a local sports store and hitting as many irons as I can and I will go from there! 

19 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Wait for August/September ....Ping is coming out with the i500. Bam!

I have not looked into Ping irons too much but I will definitely look into the i500's! 

PING G400 and TItleist  718 AP1 as other suggestions.

I had the 2016 M2, and traded for the Titleist 718 AP1.  The AP1s are a better fit for me. The M2s were high and long as advertised. I think the stock shaft was a little light for me, and while the looks were cool, I like the more traditional look of the AP1s better. The AP1s are similarly "hot" lofts and are also high and long with a good pass.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to go with Taylormade, I would honestly suggest looking at the RSI and PSI models. Granted they are a bit more difficult to find but well worth looking into in my opinion. I can't attest too much to the newer TM irons, but I gamed the RSI's which were both very forgiving and long, along with being durable. 

I was in the same boat a few months back after using the RSI's for 3/4 years and ended up going with a set of 716 AP2s after the release of the 718s. A lot of it obviously depends on your preferences but I'd give Ping/Titleist/Mizuno irons solid looks before disregarding them! Just my 2 cents!

Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!