IGNORED

Need advice about improving my golf game

Note: This thread is 2139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m looking for advice on my golf game. A little background, I only picked up playing golf about 5 years ago late in college. So I don’t know a ton about form or technique, just self taught. I played a ton the first year I picked it up and improved rapidly. I’ve played sporadically since then. Typically playing 10 times a year or so I shoot around 80. Sometimes a few shots lower sometimes a few higher. I’m consistent but short off the tee, irons are good, chipping is awful, but my putting normally saves me. My friends always get mad playing with me because I typically beat them even though they play more often and have been playing longer. One of my friends told me I should pursue getting better and trying to enter some tournaments, I don’t know if he’s crazy or I actually should. Looking for guidance, anyone with any thoughts. I do love golf, But I’m 33 now, and don’t want to pursue a pipe dream if it’s impossible, but can’t help but think what if he’s right? 

4 hours ago, Tallguy03 said:

I’m looking for advice on my golf game. A little background, I only picked up playing golf about 5 years ago late in college. So I don’t know a ton about form or technique, just self taught. I played a ton the first year I picked it up and improved rapidly. I’ve played sporadically since then. Typically playing 10 times a year or so I shoot around 80. Sometimes a few shots lower sometimes a few higher. I’m consistent but short off the tee, irons are good, chipping is awful, but my putting normally saves me. My friends always get mad playing with me because I typically beat them even though they play more often and have been playing longer. One of my friends told me I should pursue getting better and trying to enter some tournaments, I don’t know if he’s crazy or I actually should. Looking for guidance, anyone with any thoughts. I do love golf, But I’m 33 now, and don’t want to pursue a pipe dream if it’s impossible, but can’t help but think what if he’s right? 

What pipe dream? If you like golf and want to work to improve, then do it. What are your expectations for improvement?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Follow your dream. If you don't, when your 43 you will have alot of questions about yourself. 

You are playing +/-80 rounds with an awful chipping game, but your putter saves you. Why not think about combining the two? Read up on Paul Runyon's chipping method, where he uses his putting stroke to chip with. 

Playing in a few tournaments is not a bad thing. The PGA is might likely be a stretch, but amateur tournaments would show you where you stand, competition wise.  

If you get hooked on competitive golf, then find a quality instructor, and see what he, or she can do for you. Maybe you have enough natural talent, that playing on one of the lower tier tours is a possibility. Maybe in 17 years you could qualify for a spot on the senior tour. Who knows. 

Nothing wrong with having dreams.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5 hours ago, billchao said:

What pipe dream? If you like golf and want to work to improve, then do it. What are your expectations for improvement?

I’m not sure what my expectations are. My friend thinks if I can learn to hit a driver properly and chip I could be scratch or better. How much time would it take to practice those things and see improvement with a coach that knows what he’s doing? And I literally know nothing about minor tours when it comes to golf. If that was the case where would that put me? Are they expensive to compete? 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Look, improve if you want to improve.  If it turns out you can make a living with it someday, awesome.  If not, there's lots you can do with being good at golf.  

There are a few things you may want to help you get better at golf and to focus your attention:

* Get a camera and tripod, tape some swings, then get a "my swing" thread here.  Plenty of great players give great advice.  I went from a 19 to a 13 in a summer thanks in large part to doing this.  

* If you're going to play and seek to improve, get something like a Game Golf -- so you'll know your distances and where your strokes gained or lost are really coming from.

* Hang out here;  keeping golf on the mind helps.  

* Check out the instructional material that some great players (including at least one pro) have posted on this site (link below);  you say you have a bad short game?  Check out the pitching video, the chipping with a putting motion lesson, and the article about how to "flight" your wedges.  Distance challenged? Look into creating lag.  Between Mike (who posted that thread) and my swing instructor, I've picked up about 20 yards of driver distance.  That's about a stroke difference per round right there.  And I have plenty more distance I could pick up at some point... I hope :-) 

Okay, check the links in this thread:

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Look, if you're idea of improvement means being able to get on the Tour at 33, I'd tell you to forget it! But, improvement in the game brings it's own rewards.

There is a thing called SELF satisfaction.

If you enjoy the game and want to improve at it, why not? Go for it! There are tourneys and scrambles and leagues all over the place if you just look.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:41 PM, Shindig said:

Look, improve if you want to improve.  If it turns out you can make a living with it someday, awesome.  If not, there's lots you can do with being good at golf.  

There are a few things you may want to help you get better at golf and to focus your attention:

* Get a camera and tripod, tape some swings, then get a "my swing" thread here.  Plenty of great players give great advice.  I went from a 19 to a 13 in a summer thanks in large part to doing this.  

* If you're going to play and seek to improve, get something like a Game Golf -- so you'll know your distances and where your strokes gained or lost are really coming from.

* Hang out here;  keeping golf on the mind helps.  

* Check out the instructional material that some great players (including at least one pro) have posted on this site (link below);  you say you have a bad short game?  Check out the pitching video, the chipping with a putting motion lesson, and the article about how to "flight" your wedges.  Distance challenged? Look into creating lag.  Between Mike (who posted that thread) and my swing instructor, I've picked up about 20 yards of driver distance.  That's about a stroke difference per round right there.  And I have plenty more distance I could pick up at some point... I hope :-) 

Okay, check the links in this thread:

Thanks for all the feedback. Gonna check out those links and book. And work on getting some lessons and see where it goes! Thanks again 

Note: This thread is 2139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!