IGNORED

2018 Golf Digest Spin Chart Simplified

Note: This thread is 1792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am kinda surprised to see the MTB-Black to be outside of that premium golf ball grouping. It has a Urethane cover. I wonder if that data point is wrong?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I am kinda surprised to see the MTB-Black to be outside of that premium golf ball grouping. It has a Urethane cover. I wonder if that data point is wrong?

They separated the groups by price point, so even though the MTB Black is a premium ball, it's priced at less than $36/dz so it's in the green group.  It breaks down like this:

Red = $36/dz and up

Green =  $26-35/dz

Blue = $25/dz and under

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

22 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

They separated the groups by price point, so even though the MTB Black is a premium ball, it's priced at less than $36/dz so it's in the green group.  It breaks down like this:

Red = $36/dz and up

Green =  $26-35/dz

Blue = $25/dz and under

I think he might mean that it didn't perform enough to be grouped in the red grouping.

Also, Imma have to try out that Cut Blue...

Colin P.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:19 PM, 1badbadger said:

Hey Guys.  Many of you have probably seen the current spin chart from Golf Digest (50 yd wedge shot), but when they release it the colored dots are numbered and on one page, and the legend is on another page, which makes it not as user-friendly as I'd like. So I labeled each dot with the model to make it easier to get an overall picture.  Hope you find it handy.

Hot-List-2018-Ball-Chart.thumb.jpg.37e4bc8939b8e8ae3519dc17fdbf45a3.jpg

For those of you interested, I am attaching the 2017 chart for comparison.  Some models are different of course, but it's interesting to see how they stack up to each other from one year to the next.  The 2017 test was a 40 yard pitch shot vs. a 50 yard pitch shot in 2018.

1758438433_spinchart2017_big1.thumb.PNG.d8dd9faebf5dab2c0abefffe73cb5d7e.PNG

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Does anyone know much the spin difference from 40 or 50 yards translates to a shot from 15 or 20 yards? I'm thinking about changing balls. Have to anyway since I'm playing the discontinued MTB.

I'm ok with my shots from 50 yards but I feel like my 20 yard pitches roll longer than I want. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have more spin on my 50 yard shots if it means getting more from 20 yards.

I tend to like flying it closer to the hole as opposed to a few yards just on the green because it reduces the risk of hitting just short and not getting on the green at all. For this reason I want my ball to have more stopping power when I fly it long.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 7/2/2018 at 8:16 AM, saevel25 said:

seems it is not.  according to the 2017 chart above the My Tour ball is also similar to the Project(a)..   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 11 months later...
Note: This thread is 1792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!