IGNORED

Home practice vs. Driving Range/Course

Note: This thread is 2092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

Hoping to glean some insight from the years of experience here.  Briefly about myself: 35 year old weekend duffer, been learning the game for about 4 years but not very well; a good day would be close to 100 but I typically score 120+.

Anyway, in my quest to improve, I have procured a full-sized practice net in my basement.  However, I’m seeing a noticeable difference between the shots there vs. the range or the course.  Specifically, using impact tape, I am often hitting the ball in the center of the club at home, but at the range/course I’m thin.  Even the shots on the range that look good show a little low on the club impact (it’s helpful to have forgiving clubs, I suppose).

Does the difference in surface account for this or am I oversimplifying it?

How tall is you basement cieling? On the range/course you do not have a cieling to deal with. If your basement cieling is too low, you might be changing your swing to compensate, without actually thinking about it. 

• Informative 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, Patch said:

How tall is you basement cieling? On the range/course you do not have a cieling to deal with. If your basement cieling is too low, you might be changing your swing to compensate, without actually thinking about it. 

Thanks, I appreciate the thought!  I suppose that is possible.  I'm abnormally short and only use short irons, and was pretty worried about it when I first started out, but a few thousand swings later, I don't worry about hitting the ceiling.

Record your swing and upload it to the Member's Swing section.   If you choose not to do that at least record your swing and look at it on your computer.   Without video, you won't be able to make a real determination 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have a similar issue, at home or at golfgalaxy etc, I hit the ball flush with a nice draw over and over, than I get to the range or course and I will suddenly start to cut or pull almost every shot. 

I recently figured out a lot of my issues at the range were caused by poor alignment.  At home or on a mat, everything is square and I subconsciously use the lines to get everything set up correctly, plus my target line is the same every shot.  Where on the course or range, everything is different, from my alignment, target and swing path which is causing the issues.  Try using alignment rods etc when you first get to the range and see if that helps. 

• Like 1

What are you doing specifically to improve? Is it just hitting a lot of balls at full speed or do you have certain aspects of your swing that you’ve identified as glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed and are practicing appropriately with drills and with much slower than normal swings to effectively ingrain new movement patterns?

I have always gone with the idea that I learn more about my swing on the course. Playing for a score tells me alot about my swing. My main focus is usually on distance, and club selection.

I practice on the range, as needed, based on what I learned on course.I focus on more things on the range than I do on course.

At home it's just short stuff, when I can't go to the range. Maybe a few dry swings. I am less focused at home because the practice conditions are much poorer than on the range.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On the range you also have he softer ground to deal with . So you may be sinking that small bit down thus thinning shots. Also grip traction on concrete or wood is more then on grass.

Hope this helps cheers

15 hours ago, Inferno2ss said:

I have a similar issue, at home or at golfgalaxy etc, I hit the ball flush with a nice draw over and over, than I get to the range or course and I will suddenly start to cut or pull almost every shot. 

I recently figured out a lot of my issues at the range were caused by poor alignment.  At home or on a mat, everything is square and I subconsciously use the lines to get everything set up correctly, plus my target line is the same every shot.  Where on the course or range, everything is different, from my alignment, target and swing path which is causing the issues.  Try using alignment rods etc when you first get to the range and see if that helps. 

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

I actually just had a lesson, my first in a while, and the instructor's main takeaway for me was a minor change in alignment.  What I felt was straight was actually lined up a bit to the left.  This minor adjustment changed the feeling so much that this change was the only thing I'm able to work on, but I believe it has a ripple effort on other parts of the swing.  So in other words, I had a similar issue as you did, I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, apologies for returning to this topic but I'm again wondering if my initial question regarding surface could be impacting shot results.  After a day at the range where I hit every shot thin, I came home to my practice net and was hitting everything perfectly flush, so I went to my trusty youtube videos and the first one I watched made reference to the surface.

This video, specifically at the 2:22 mark references softer surfaces.  My basement is off of carpet that is softer than the range/course.

So, I'm wondering if I've practiced on a carpet/soft surface that I've grooved a swing for, and then on grass I need a different swing?

Mats are just easier to hit off of but by no means does that translate to you needing a different swing.

Note: This thread is 2092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!