IGNORED

Good score for beginning

Bigbob1003
Note: This thread is 2086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so I have played golf when I was younger maybe 14-15 years old. I am now 23 and starting to take golf seriously. I have been playing at least 9 holes 3 times a week. For an average I been shooting 47-50 on 9 holes. 98-102 on 18. 

I been wondering because I play with some buddies that play amateur event and are allot better then me and some buddies that are worst them I am. How are my scores on average.

I know I need to practice my short game more as it is one of my faults. I have also improved my short game over the summer drastically. 

2 hours ago, Bigbob1003 said:

Ok so I have played golf when I was younger maybe 14-15 years old. I am now 23 and starting to take golf seriously. I have been playing at least 9 holes 3 times a week. For an average I been shooting 47-50 on 9 holes. 98-102 on 18. 

I been wondering because I play with some buddies that play amateur event and are allot better then me and some buddies that are worst them I am. How are my scores on average.

Assuming you're playing by the rules, they're great.  Most beginners can't break 100 even without following all the rules (improving lie, mulligans, treating O.B. as a lateral).  

If you're just beginning, there's a more important question than your scores.  Are you having fun?  Since you sought out a golf forum (welcome to TST by the way), I'm going to guess that answer is yes.  And that's the most important thing.

2 hours ago, Bigbob1003 said:

I know I need to practice my short game more as it is one of my faults. I have also improved my short game over the summer drastically. 

That depends.  A lot of beginners -- like me for my first eight years of playing -- overestimated the importance of short game.  Whether or not it's a weakness depends on a lot of factors.  How are you measuring improvement?  It is possible you're better than you think there (not that practice is a bad thing either).

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Averaging 50 or less for 9 holes and around 100 for 18 holes is very good for someone with little experience like yourself.  Congrats and enjoy the journey.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Are you having fun?  Since you sought out a golf forum (welcome to TST by the way), I'm going to guess that answer is yes.  And that's the most important thing.

2nd this. 

6 hours ago, Bigbob1003 said:

I been wondering

Do not get caught up measuring scores with your buddies.
Instead, measure your progress with practice and applying the things you learn from playing with better golfers.

Scores will lower if you dedicate yourself to leaning the swing and game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

If you're just beginning, there's a more important question than your scores.  Are you having fun?  Since you sought out a golf forum (welcome to TST by the way), I'm going to guess that answer is yes.  And that's the most important thing.

I have always liked golf even when I was younger just going to a par 3 with my father. This summer I needed something to help me relax and take some stress away. From loosing both of my grandmothers within a 2 month period. Golf just happen to be what I found and started loving

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Do not get caught up measuring scores with your buddies.
Instead, measure your progress with practice and applying the things you learn from playing with better golfers.

I have always been a competitive person. This is something I need to work on in golf. I find my self doing allot worst when I'm trying to compete against one of my buddies that are better then myself then when I just focus on the game.

Note: This thread is 2086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!