IGNORED

Irons and Distance

Note: This thread is 2061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I have to admit, my distances are not as predictable as they used to be. Probably because I've slowed everything down to try and make my swing a little better.

Generally speaking, my 6i was my 150 yd club for a long time with 10 yard gaps between each irons. Even when my scoring was higher, I was always amazed at how consistently close my distances were - so long as I made ok (not necessarily great) contact.

Lately, it's hard to say. I'll often take a longer club and swing easier for no other reason than to try and control my weight shift. (When I swing hard, I tend to finish off-balance and back on my trail 

I do that with my wedges a lot. I carry 4. Set came with a pitching wedge 45 and a U wedge 50. I also have a 52 and a 56. I can get my pitching wedge 130-135. I’ll hit the U wedge around 120. I won’t take a full swing with a 52 or 56 as I, like you tend to have issues if I try and hit them all the way. Scoring clubs are all about distance control. I’ve learned to choke my gap wedge down slightly and/or shorten the swing to where I’ll hit it 80-100 comfortably. Yesterday I did have a 102 pin and 115 Center where I did take a full gap wedge shot but it’s rare. Anything under 80 I’ll hit a choke down and/or shortened Sw although I know I can hit it a little more than 80. Rather take a smooth swing with the gap than take a chance of blading a sw which is my miss with those clubs when I do. Results this year have been fantastic. Learning my distance with those clubs with the use of a GPS golf app has def shaved some strokes off the handicap.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/30/2018 at 6:47 AM, Dunit507 said:

I do that with my wedges a lot. I carry 4. Set came with a pitching wedge 45 and a U wedge 50. I also have a 52 and a 56. I can get my pitching wedge 130-135. I’ll hit the U wedge around 120. I won’t take a full swing with a 52 or 56 as I, like you tend to have issues if I try and hit them all the way. Scoring clubs are all about distance control. I’ve learned to choke my gap wedge down slightly and/or shorten the swing to where I’ll hit it 80-100 comfortably. Yesterday I did have a 102 pin and 115 Center where I did take a full gap wedge shot but it’s rare. Anything under 80 I’ll hit a choke down and/or shortened Sw although I know I can hit it a little more than 80. Rather take a smooth swing with the gap than take a chance of blading a sw which is my miss with those clubs when I do. Results this year have been fantastic. Learning my distance with those clubs with the use of a GPS golf app has def shaved some strokes off the handicap.

I don't hit my wedges nearly as far as you on my full swings, but it's the same idea. From what I've read, better players and are very good at it.

I've kind of taken this to the extreme by changing my stance on these partial wedge and 9i shots. It's not good form, but until I can fix some issues with my swing, it's a method that usually gives me predictable contact.

As far as distance, I don't mark my clubs as some do. 60 yds with my gap wedge is a feel as far as where to grip and how long the swing should be. Sometimes it's on, and other times not so much.

This is just my opinion (and I'm not very good), but I think this can be applied to longer clubs as well. The stock distances of all my clubs are just a base point. Not only does elevation, wind, tree limbs, and the lie dictate what club I pull, sometimes it's just how well I feel I'm playing at the time and whether there's trouble in front of or behind the target.

Jon

One of the biggest things I’ve learned over the years is how to take more club than i think I need and take a little off either by choking down or shortening the swing. Much easier to control distance and ball flight when you are not swinging out of your shoes. When I was younger I’d try and hit every shot hard and that led to some disastrous results. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

When I hit them fairly well, I hit my 6I about 170 and gap about 10 yards between clubs, although I don't full swing my 60* and rarely my 56*.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:22 AM, Dunit507 said:

One of the biggest things I’ve learned over the years is how to take more club than i think I need and take a little off either by choking down or shortening the swing. Much easier to control distance and ball flight when you are not swinging out of your shoes. When I was younger I’d try and hit every shot hard and that led to some disastrous results. 

I don't swing out of my shoes as when I do God knows where the ball will go but I fear taking more club because I don't like losing the ball over the green as I feel it makes it harder to find. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 2061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!