IGNORED

Consistently striking driver off the heel

Note: This thread is 2018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went out to the range today, primarily to work on my wrist hinge and unhinge. It was, on the whole, a really good session. I struck my irons, which have been the thing I’m most keen to improve, better than perhaps ever. 

When I got around to my driver though, I was hitting lots of fades and slices. I sprayed some foot powder on the club face, and I was striking it on the heel every time. I tried moving farther from the ball, changing the ball in my stance, etc, but didn’t get different results. I even hit a few where I lined up comically far away from the ball, and I still hit it off the damn heel.

For most of this year my driver has been fairly reliable, while my irons have been extremely inconsistent. Now, weirdly, that seems to be reversing.

Anybody else has this problem or any ideas how I can fix it?

Edited by FrivolouslyWasted
Typo fix

3 hours ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

Anybody else has this problem or any ideas how I can fix it?

Start a My Swing thread, and post a down the line video of your driver. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A my swing thread would be the best way to fix this permanently.

That said, a way I use to move the strike away from the heel is to place an object outside of toe of the club at address. Then you swing. That should move the strike away pretty quickly.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Was it just a bad day at the range? Happens sometimes. Or is this recurrent?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm the opposite right now. My irons were great for a year, and I couldn't hit a driver or 3w to save my life. 

In the last month my Driver is now the best club in my bag, and I've somehow lost the mojo to consistently hit even a 9 iron, let alone a 4 or 5. 

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Was it just a bad day at the range? Happens sometimes. Or is this recurrent?

I’ve been putting a lot of work into my irons recently, and it was a great day at the range when I had those in hand. I seem to have fixed my iron swing at the expense of my driver/3 wood swing.

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Start a My Swing thread, and post a down the line video of your driver. 

Good idea. I’m going to play a round today, maybe if it’s not busy out there I can get a video of a tee shot.

Assuming I take my driver at least. I’m considering throwing the 1 and 2 irons in the bag and playing a round with irons only.

Consistent heel hits are typically "better player" misses, usually from swinging on a club path too far inside. Hard to say without seeing your swing.  When i miss the center area with a driver or any other club, low and heel side is usually where i do. The result is usually some kind of a weak push or fade.  If im doing it consistently (like over the course of several rounds) i'll hit the range and work on my set up and alignment. For me anyway, it usually fixes that issue. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine
  • Thumbs Up 1

Try swinging more in to out with driver. With the iron swing, your path may be more neutral. With the driver, you may find that a small to moderate in to out path may help

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!