IGNORED

Has anyone ever quit for 6 months to a year to "start over?"

tjhowarth
Note: This thread is 2031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually took about a year off when I got out of the golf business. I was burned out and was just plain sick of playing. I took up fishing. Looking back on it, it was probably the best thing I could have done. You may not need that long.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took off nearly six months last year due to my daughter's hectic basketball schedule. Didn't affect my game much at all. I wouldn't say it was a good thing or a bad thing, it was just what happened. I didn't feel refreshed when I started playing again, nor did I really miss it that much. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have 2 (sporting) passions - golf and fly fishing.  I have been fly fishing since I was 21 and did not take golf seriously until age 40.  I split my time and was heavy into golf during the warm months but never was better than a middle teens handicap.  I am a much more accomplished fly fisherman than golfer and when I hit the point about 8 years ago that I was an embarrassment on the course I gave it up for a full year and enjoyed my other passion.  I got bit by the bug playing a NJ course that has a trout stream along side it stopping to watch a few golfers play.  I went back to the range not expecting much but I hit the ball better than I had in a few years and reversed the amount of effort put into my two passions.  I play more golf now than fly fishing for trout and of my seven official rounds this season five of them were in he mid-high 80's - OK for this 66 year old.  Lessons learned?  I needed a break from the self inflicted pressure of playing decent golf and it is always good to have multiple passions in your life.  

10 hours ago, Aguirre said:

I mean, I live in Pittsburgh. So I take damn close to six months off every year.

yep, Minnesota here.  I take October through March off every year.  Many times, April as well.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 9/24/2018 at 1:33 AM, Aguirre said:

I mean, I live in Pittsburgh. So I take damn close to six months off every year.

Up here (upstate New York) we are seasonal and stop for a few months to as many as 6 months a year. I don't like the long break, but the break in general does me good and I really enjoy the start of the season and my game early on isn't nearly as bad as I would expect. Breaks are good for me, helps to get perspective and when I return I enjoy it more.

Good luck. I suspect we all experience the need to break from it from time to time. 

Note: This thread is 2031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!