IGNORED

41 inch 3 wood, anyone?

golfjedi777
Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello people, hope all is well and those greens are cut. I just wanted to ask if anyone has cut their 3wood to 41 inches. Seems easier to game. And plus I feel right now standard length doesn't sit right in my eye when I set up. Please help thanks again peeps :-)

11 hours ago, golfjedi777 said:

Hello people, hope all is well and those greens are cut. I just wanted to ask if anyone has cut their 3wood to 41 inches. Seems easier to game. And plus I feel right now standard length doesn't sit right in my eye when I set up. Please help thanks again peeps :-)

I think it really depends on the state of your game. A 41 3 wood is really a hybrid length with lower loft. You will lose velocity from the short shaft and launch will be lower. You gain control. But why not just go with a 17 hybrid or something similar?

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it works...why not?  The club will feel lighter and the effective lie will flatten but none of that is important if the ball goes where you want it to.  Plus...you can restore the length, with a shaft extension, if the experiment yields interesting but unsatisfactory results.  Just wondering though...have you tried gripping down?  If you build your grip from the bottom up you will take a couple inches off the playing length.  That would not require any surgery and would preserve the option to grip higher if circumstances should require.  A mid-sized grip, if you aren't already using them, will help when gripping down.  Bon chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

9 hours ago, Piz said:

If it works...why not?  The club will feel lighter and the effective lie will flatten but none of that is important if the ball goes where you want it to.  Plus...you can restore the length, with a shaft extension, if the experiment yields interesting but unsatisfactory results.  Just wondering though...have you tried gripping down?  If you build your grip from the bottom up you will take a couple inches off the playing length.  That would not require any surgery and would preserve the option to grip higher if circumstances should require.  A mid-sized grip, if you aren't already using them, will help when gripping down.  Bon chance.

Great advice I'm thinking of gripping down an inch just so the club works for me. It's just sometimes it doesn't sit right in my eye during set up. Not sure if you ever feel that way. Cheers

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think it really depends on the state of your game. A 41 3 wood is really a hybrid length with lower loft. You will lose velocity from the short shaft and launch will be lower. You gain control. But why not just go with a 17 hybrid or something similar?

Thanks for the reply very informative and it gives me options in my set. Cheers

Have you thought about a 5W?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I've done it with.  I also tried gripping down.   There isn't much difference between the two methods so take your pick.   Cutting it down though will force you to hit with a shorter club.   Gripping down sometimes does not work for me for various reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 10/13/2018 at 7:45 PM, DrvFrShow said:

Have you thought about a 5W?

Agree with this thought.  I couldn't consistently get a 3W up in the air off the deck.  Read something about how today's maybe shouldn't play 3W's because length has become longer and went to a 5W (which I have set to the lowest loft so it might be more of a traditional 4W).  Now I hit the ball consistently off the deck and really no loss in yardage versus a 3W although I'm likely 5-10 shorter when I use it to tee off.  But overall it's been a great swap for me.

I think mine is 15 degrees and  43". As others have said, if I went down in length, I would likely go up in loft.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!