IGNORED

Touching the Line of a Putt

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 2017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw it happen this past weekend. We had two man teams best ball. One of guys on the other team was lining up a 15 footer for birdie on the #2 stroke hole. His partner came over and, unsolicited, said ‘hit this line’ and put the toe of his putter on the green. The poor guy putting dropped his head, sighed and picked his ball up. His partner was in tight for bogey already. It’s almost not fair, but it was a team event. Learn the rules.

• Administrator

A penalty for a few more months yes.

10.2b(2) covers it in January. 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I saw it happen this past weekend. We had two man teams best ball. One of guys on the other team was lining up a 15 footer for birdie on the #2 stroke hole. His partner came over and, unsolicited, said ‘hit this line’ and put the toe of his putter on the green. The poor guy putting dropped his head, sighed and picked his ball up. His partner was in tight for bogey already. It’s almost not fair, but it was a team event. Learn the rules.

Not only is there a penalty for touching the line of putt but also for touching the green to indicate the line of putt, whether on the line or not.

8-2b When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched.

8 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Despite the fact there was an infraction, I am just glad the guy he was playing with knew the rule well enough to accept the fact there was a penalty and not try and argue it. 

2 hours ago, Martyn W said:

Not only is there a penalty for touching the line of putt but also for touching the green to indicate the line of putt, whether on the line or not.

8-2b When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched.

16-1a only applies to the player, this case applied to his partner.

• iacas changed the title to Touching the Line of a Putt
On 10/16/2018 at 5:22 PM, Rulesman said:

16-1a only applies to the player, this case applied to his partner.

I suppose that, in this case, the team could be considered the player. We've played in lots of scrambles, and have indicated the line of the putt to our partners, but we do not touch the green.

I have seen Tour caddies do the same with the butt end of the flagstick, but they also do not touch the green.

Besides, I'm only trying to suggest a general line, since I have no idea how firmly, or easily, my teammate will stroke the putt.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I suppose that, in this case, the team could be considered the player.

16-1a is about the player touching the line of his putt.

The rule here that applied here is 8-2b.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!