IGNORED

Fat shots

deekay
Note: This thread is 1962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi  all,

After years of playing I still hit at least 5 or 6 real chunks every round I play, and there is no worse feeling (for me) in golf. It's the one shot that will have me giving up the game.

I believe it is because I struggle to shift my weight/pressure forward through the ball, especially on the course where one cannot always be sure of a comfortable stance.

I can swing through onto my front foot in my practice swing without a problem, but put a ball there and the "hit instinct" kicks in .......

I have searched extensively on the internet and there is a ton of information/videos about how important it is to shift your weight forward into your follow-through, how all good ball strikers do it, and how it should look, and so on. But that's generally where it ends.

In other words, a huge amount of "this is what you need to do," but not so much of "this is how to to train yourself to do it."

This is such a common fault among newer golfers/ high handicappers, so I would like to hear from the instructors here what has assisted their students in the past where a lack of weight/pressure shift forward has been identified as causing fat shots.

I understand that without video it cannot be absolutely certain that this is my priority, but if it was, what feels/drills have helped you or your students with this problem?

I would slow your motion down and do half speed/half shots with the correct motion/feeling you want and then slowly increase the speed, but only increase it once you have gotten the desired motion down. If you speed up and feel that you lost the motion you want, slow it back down.

Feelings of extreme/over exaggerations help me a lot too. Example, One of my main priority pieces is steady head, so often I try for the FEELING of my head moving backward away from the target (even though it never actually does) When I review on video, some of my steadiest head swings are ones where my head feels like it has moved 3-4+ inches backward away from target, when in reality it is staying perfectly still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, deekay said:

I believe it is because I struggle to shift my weight/pressure forward through the ball, especially on the course where one cannot always be sure of a comfortable stance.

Mostly likely you are not turning correctly or your head is moving excessively or a combination of both.

If you haven't, start a My Swing thread and post a face on view of your swing.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@deekay, do you play hilly courses or flat courses?

I ask because, as a high-cap, I find that the uneven lies kill me when it comes to fats. The wedges are usually the worst on that end. 

Mercifully, flat courses aren't too hard to find in this part of Ohio.

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Mostly likely you are not turning correctly or your head is moving excessively or a combination of both.

If you haven't, start a My Swing thread and post a face on view of your swing.

I'll echo what @saevel25 has stated but for a quick temporary fix, place a towel about 4" on the ground behind your ball when you practice.   This will help you visualize the need strike the ball first and get your weight forward.   

First and foremost, start a My Swing thread.   The price can't be beat, nobody judges your swing and you'll get some great help.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!