IGNORED

One Plane Swing

Note: This thread is 1926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all. I've been studying Jim Hardy's one plane swing and doing some winter practice following Josh Zander on YouTube. My question(s) is what pitfalls come with adhering to this swing? I know that this site doesn't like the swing to go left but I guess I need why that is a bad thing explained to me. Thank you for your input in advance. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I think every golf swing is a one plane swing...if you think about what the club head is doing.  Face orientation aside; an efficient path has less deviation than an inefficient one.  The shortest distance, between two objects, is a straight line.  The one plane concept has (to my feeble brain) more to do with what the body is doing than what the club head is doing.  That may be nonsense but it's how I think of it.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to One Plane Swing
5 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Hi all. I've been studying Jim Hardy's one plane swing and doing some winter practice following Josh Zander on YouTube. My question(s) is what pitfalls come with adhering to this swing? I know that this site doesn't like the swing to go left but I guess I need why that is a bad thing explained to me. Thank you for your input in advance. 

I wouldn't say there are 'pitfalls' necessarily. What is common knowledge here is this: There are 5 keys necessary to have an efficient and productive golf swing. 

1. Steady Head 2. Weight forward 3. inline impact 4. Diagonal Sweetspot 5. Clubface control.

How one achieves these keys can obviously be quite different. If you can achieve these keys with your 'single plane' swing so be it. But I would focus more on these keys rather than this 'single plane' idea. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I wouldn't say there are 'pitfalls' necessarily. What is common knowledge here is this: There are 5 keys necessary to have an efficient and productive golf swing. 

1. Steady Head 2. Weight forward 3. inline impact 4. Diagonal Sweetspot 5. Clubface control.

How one achieves these keys can obviously be quite different. If you can achieve these keys with your 'single plane' swing so be it. But I would focus more on these keys rather than this 'single plane' idea. 

Thank you @Vinsk That does make sense and in reading the site I kind of figured that. I guess I just lack the knowledge of what the difference may be from swinging out to right field or in a circle as in Jim Hardys swing 

BO THE GOLFER

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I know that this site doesn't like the swing to go left

I don’t know what this means. Every swing goes left.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

In the one plane swing by Jim Hardy he advocates swinging on a circle. I was wondering what issues this would cause as opposed to having the path go out or to the right. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

In the one plane swing by Jim Hardy he advocates swinging on a circle. I was wondering what issues this would cause as opposed to having the path go out or to the right. 

That's not what you said. You said "I know that this site doesn't like the swing to go left" and I'm confused by what you mean by that, or how you got that from anything posted here.

Every golf swing (righty golf swing) goes "left" at some point, and is on an arc (not a circle, but he means the same thing).

I don't want the path to go out to the right too much or for too long - it's gotta work back to the left and even guys who draw the ball, the path goes left very shortly after impact.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Every golf swing goes to the left after impact, even those that have club paths that are severely in to out (or to the right)

image.png

FWIW, every golfer swings on a circle...

image.png

image.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Ok. I guess I have misinterpreted what I have read on the site. I have thought that the path going out to the right was preferred. I get that the club will go left. I guess my question should be does Jim Hardys one plane swing conform to the 5 keys and what issues may come up following Hardy as taught. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

BO THE GOLFER

18 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

does Jim Hardys one plane swing conform to the 5 keys and what issues may come up following Hardy as taught. 

You tell us. You can read about the 5 Simple Keys on this site, and you have read about his one plane swing.

Can you make his one plane swing while adhering to all 5 Simple Keys? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Ok. I guess I have misinterpreted what I have read on the site. I have thought that the path going out to the right was preferred.

Shifting the path more rightward is preferred… for the majority of golfers who swing too far to the left.

27 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I think you missed my post up above, #7.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

You tell us. You can read about the 5 Simple Keys on this site, and you have read about his one plane swing.

Can you make his one plane swing while adhering to all 5 Simple Keys? 

I think the one key that makes it a no is steady head. Josh Zander seems to advocate moving the center forward in the transition which to me would cause some issues. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I think the one key that makes it a no is steady head. Josh Zander seems to advocate moving the center forward in the transition which to me would cause some issues. 

I'm not sure you understand "steady head" very well.

Is he suggesting that you move your head forward more than about four inches? Five? You do know that you can move your "center" forward without your head moving forward much, right?

Where is a video of this move? And Josh Zander isn't the originator of the "One Plane Swing" so how much weight do you give him? How much is correct?

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure you understand "steady head" very well.

Is he suggesting that you move your head forward more than about four inches? Five? You do know that you can move your "center" forward without your head moving forward much, right?

Where is a video of this move? And Josh Zander isn't the originator of the "One Plane Swing" so how much weight do you give him? How much is correct?

There you are. I know steady head does not mean set in stone. I referred to the one plane swing as Jim Hardys so I know Josh isn't the originator. I get from Mike's center pivot video and other discussion on here that the center can move with a relative steady head. I think either you or Mike commented on a thread that Jim Hardy got some things wrong and I'm trying to find out what that is. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

There you are. I know steady head does not mean set in stone.

01.jpg

I drew lines on his head and hips at A1, and then stopped the video at A4 and ~A7. Two questions for you:

1. Do you think this is not a "steady head"?
  2. Do you think this is what he's demonstrating earlier in the video when he talks about moving the center forward?

My answers are 1) it is, and 2) he demonstrates it with exaggeration, and his head moves forward much less in his actual golf swing, returning to almost the exact same place as at setup after drifting back slightly during the backswing.

8 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I think either you or Mike commented on a thread that Jim Hardy got some things wrong and I'm trying to find out what that is. 

Where did we say this?

I'm not trying to bust your balls here man, but I am trying to figure out what you seem to think versus what's "real".

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

01.jpg

I drew lines on his head and hips at A1, and then stopped the video at A4 and ~A7. Two questions for you:

1. Do you think this is not a "steady head"?
  2. Do you think this is what he's demonstrating earlier in the video when he talks about moving the center forward?

My answers are 1) it is, and 2) he demonstrates it with exaggeration, and his head moves forward much less in his actual golf swing, returning to almost the exact same place as at setup after drifting back slightly during the backswing.

Where did we say this?

I'm not trying to bust your balls here man, but I am trying to figure out what you seem to think versus what's "real".

If I could find where you or Mike said that I'd post it but I believe it was a few years ago. I don't feel like you're  busting me but I am fairly swing dumb and come here for explanation. 

Edited by Bo the Golfer

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

If I could find where you or Mike said that I'd post it but I believe it was a few years ago.

Okay, but I kinda have to know the context and/or the actual language used to be able to speak to what was said.

Also, could you answer the two questions I asked?

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, but I kinda have to know the context and/or the actual language used to be able to speak to what was said.

Also, could you answer the two questions I asked?

I thought by the demonstration that he was not keeping a steady head. His swing looked different than that and he does have a steady head. Seems like he's saying one thing and doing another to me. 

BO THE GOLFER

Note: This thread is 1926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!