IGNORED

Beginner in need of help.

Miits
Note: This thread is 1917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I have recently started playing the game (September 2018) and am fairly obsessed with it - I have been following these forums since then but have only now decided to post.

I have been playing on my local par 3 course (1 attempt at the larger course) and need a lot of help with my iron shots.  I would say that I am probably happy with 1 or 2 out 9 tee shots.  It was particularly bad this weekend and one of my playing partners (an experienced golfer) suggested I tee the ball up very high just to be able to get under the ball.  This approach seems completely opposite to everything I have read about hitting down on my irons etc and I feel it will be adverse to my longer term development and hinder my when I move to the bigger course and am trying to hit iron shots from the fairway (more likely the rough).

I watch YouTube videos and it looks so simple but I am really struggle to replicate it.  I think my back swing works most of the time now that I have worked on the wrist hinge but I don't seem to be able to get any consistency on the down swing (the most important part).

I really enjoy the game and the challenge but fear that carrying on down this route will just push my away.  I am assuming the obvious answer here is take a lesson and then practice on the range rather than going out ont he course...

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Miits said:

Hi All,

I have recently started playing the game (September 2018) and am fairly obsessed with it - I have been following these forums since then but have only now decided to post.

I have been playing on my local par 3 course (1 attempt at the larger course) and need a lot of help with my iron shots.  I would say that I am probably happy with 1 or 2 out 9 tee shots.  It was particularly bad this weekend and one of my playing partners (an experienced golfer) suggested I tee the ball up very high just to be able to get under the ball.  This approach seems completely opposite to everything I have read about hitting down on my irons etc and I feel it will be adverse to my longer term development and hinder my when I move to the bigger course and am trying to hit iron shots from the fairway (more likely the rough).

I watch YouTube videos and it looks so simple but I am really struggle to replicate it.  I think my back swing works most of the time now that I have worked on the wrist hinge but I don't seem to be able to get any consistency on the down swing (the most important part).

Welcome to The Sand Trap.

Be careful watching YouTube videos. They offer all kinds of advice without it being specific to your improvement. I suggest you start a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section and let us guide you to what you need to work on first.

There is a lot to learn, but starting on the right things first will help speed up your improvement.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Miits said:

(an experienced golfer) suggested I tee the ball up very high

Welcome to TST

I often tell beginners to tee the ball up and sweep the ball off the tee,
Then as they become more comfortable striking the ball to gradually lower the teeing height.

Yes, eventually a downward decent into the ball will come.
Think of the variance between longer clubs and short one.
The AOA (angle of attack) is different.

With long irons and woods, a larger arc is necessary, therefore a sweeping path is desirable.
The shorter clubs is still a sweeping path only slightly steeper arc due to the shorter club.

Hope this makes sense, lots of good material on the site pertaining to club path.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

You should take a look at the instructional threads which @mvmac and @iacas have posted.

As an example, look at the progress Mike has worked on through the years.
If nothing more, here is a great visual of a real solid swing.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On 1/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, Miits said:

Hi All,

I really enjoy the game and the challenge but fear that carrying on down this route will just push my away.  I am assuming the obvious answer here is take a lesson and then practice on the range rather than going out ont he course...

Thanks.

Welcome, Miits. Having played a few years, I have some general comments that may help a beginner that have nothing to do with swing technique. Play par 3 courses, then executives courses and then easier 18 hole par 71/72 courses. Stay away from the ball eater courses. Gain some confidence through this process. What type of equipment do you use? If you're a beginner playing hand me down blades, you're in for a hard time. You may want o try hybrid irons or using woods instead of a 3 and 5 iron. I have HB3 by Cleveland. They can't be found now. But, they have a similar set called Launcher HB's, Good Luck! Enjoy the journey! SG

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!