Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

Is It OK To Leave Your Net Outdoors?

6 posts / 373 viewsLast Reply

I have the one below. Is it ok to leave this outside in the NE winter, put a tarp over it, take the netting inside? The ironic thing is this is still in the box and I'm just using a big honking board to keep the foam balls from flying all over the place.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.35.25 PM.png

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

When I lived in California I had a net similar to this outside in the elements. It began to disintegrate and would let balls through it. Luckily there was a fence behind it which caught the loose ball but it only take one to do some damage. So if this were a poll I'd vote don't keep it in the elements outside. 

I have the same net.   It doesn't take but a few minutes to put up and less to take down.    I'd take it down.  It's just not nets that deteriorate in bad weather, almost everything does over time.   

btw...that price is considerably higher than what I paid.   It can be had cheaper

Edited by dennyjones

The sun will wreak havoc on the netting.  It will destroy the netting very fast.

If it is not in use, you should not keep it in the sun.

The man did write that he would be taking the netting inside, just leaving the frame outside with a tarp over it, which may be a problem in itself. When it's windy that tarp will become a sail and subject the frame to stresses it may not be built to handle. The frame doesn't look all that substantial. 

I don't know what the frame is made of, but I'd guess some kind of plastic. To amplify the point that @dennyjones made, leaving anything out in the elements will degrade it over time.