IGNORED

Play better by yourself?

Brooklyn
Note: This thread is 5881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know about actually playing better, but my score sure is better when I play alone..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I actually seem to play better with others even though i am definitely more relaxed by myself.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My Scores are always better, (and no, not because i can cheat). You get releived of alot of pressure of impressing your friends and playing partners.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Yes but please tell us what it means...

Less distractions more focus ?

Less muscle tension because nobody is watching you ?

Less need for protocol and coordination so more time for each shot ?

Less wobbly from the booze ?

I love playing with people-theres nothing like a good day with a bunch of your friends-trying to outdrive them. I just play better because im more relaxed and everyone can joke around and make you feel better

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

When i play alone i do much better than when i play in a group.

Depending on the course, this holds true for me, too. I chalk it up to not having to wait for people in my group or the group ahead. Generally, when I'm out there, solo, it's the fall season or late summer afternoons. No one is around and I can breeze, through.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

i don't keep score when i play by myself, because people think that "kids" cheat. i don't. i play better with other people because i can relieve the tension of a bad shot by whispering "nunan!" when my dad putts.......

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Actually I tend to play better either by myself, or with someone or a group I don't know very well. My friends got me into this game and when I'm with them I don't know how to get rid of the the subtext that "I have to show them how much less I suck now" and then the performance anxiety kicks in. When I'm by myself, if I screw up a shot, I'm able to let go pretty easily and move on. Whereas with my buddies, I'm embarrased and the embarrasment turns to anger if I'm not careful, and then the rest of the round is pretty much toast.

I think I need to play more by myself so that I can get comfortable with my game for when I'm with the guys.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I actually play best when playing with someone as good as or slightly better than me. I play worst when playing slow or with bad golfers usually. When playing alone I usually play decent, and if it's a day when I can play 18 in 3 hoursor so, that helps too.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Well, when I'm by myself - that is, randomly paired with other people instead of playing with friends - I score better, but that's because I play courses that I'm used to playing. When I play with friends, I'm usually visiting them and playing their courses, which I've yet to get used to playing. I feel more relaxed around my friends, I just don't know where to miss

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't play by myself anymore.

Now.. When I golf with my father-in-law, I get really nervous and my score suffers. Sometimes my wifes brother joins us and takes the edge off and I play well again.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I know I play better by myself. My concentration is much better and I'm more relaxed. Plus I don't have to deal with all the distractions of playing with my friends. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with my friends but if I'm working on some part of my game, I play by myself.

Mike

I know I play better by myself. My concentration is much better and I'm more relaxed. Plus I don't have to deal with all the distractions of playing with my friends. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with my friends but if I'm working on some part of my game, I play by myself.

i much prefer to have a partner

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

but if I'm working on some part of my game, I play by myself.

Umm.. at 32 handicap which part of your game are you focusing on here?

I tend to enjoy playing by myself. I enjoy the quite to ponder my upcoming shot, I can usually play 2 balls ( different approaches for practicing ), and can keep my own pace. I also like to play with another person, but its not necessary. I usually play every other day after work - Tuesday and Thursday - and our course is rarely busy on the weekdays, so the course is basically mine.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

When I try and play solo I usually get put into a 3some or another single....which I really don'tlike.

I mean if I was a low handicap player, playing with other low handicap players...why on earth would I want to play with a 20 handicap?

Most I have played with so far get annoyed quick....which makes me nervous....and screws me up for the entire round

I'm at least 3 strokes better (on average) when I play solo and it isn't because I'm cheating. For me, I think I'm more relaxed, not concerned about how much time I'm taking, less apt to go for the "hero" shot, and I don't drink beer when playing alone.
I get into trouble when I put pressure on myself and that shows up when playing with friends or strangers.

I enjoy playing with my buddies but I definately score better when I play solo.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I tend to be more relaxed when playing solo, if no one is in front of me I seem to get in a better rhythm. I usually treat playing solo as practice time, but my best scoring rounds have come when playing with my friends.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 5881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!