IGNORED

Anybody use shortened clubs?

Note: This thread is 5860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm about 5 8 and callaway recommended i shorten my irons by 1/2 inch. Has anyone else done this? Positives/negatives? I assume i may lose a little distance, but should make up for it in accuracy.

When i hit a few balls with a shortened 6 iron, it just felt better and mor comfortable for me.

thanks

I have done that....not so good experience. I am about same height, got 1/4 inch shortened following custom fitter’s recommendation.

As you said, sacrificed distance (15 yard for 1/4 in for me, ouch!) but without gaining much of accuracy for me. I was unhappy for a long time and end up getting 1/4 longer….what a great waste of money.

I think swing plane is the single very important consideration for club fitting beyond simple fact such as height, distance of wrist from the floor, swing speed/tempo....as same body construct with similar swing speed and tempo may use different swing path. My swing is more upright and appreciates longer length.

If you can demo same 6i in different length of shaft, try out first before huge regret.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

If you are thinking about cutting the shafts down, beware, because it will make the shafts stiffer.
Taylormade R7 460 9.5 S Flex
Titleist 904F 19*
Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19*
Nike Pro Combo Forged 3-PWCleveland Gunmetal TA 900 54*,59(Bent from 58)*Taylormade Rossa CGB Daytona ILL-INI

BE CAREFUL! Each club manufacture's "standard" club lengths are different. Lots of times you'll find game improvement clubs longer than players clubs. To be safe, check the clubs specs and compare to what you got now.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

If you are thinking about cutting the shafts down, beware, because it will make the shafts stiffer.

It depends on where you are cutting from. Butt cut shafts at -1/2" will not change the flex drastically, if at all....however if trimmed from the tip, I would imagine so. I'm not sure that clubfitters cut from the tip all that often because of this. Regardless, at -1/2" Your swingweight will change of course. I think you should consider your static measurements according to what the manufacturer suggests, as they usually have this stuff all charted out. Then, perhaps hit balls with impact tape @ various lengths to see which yields the best results (impact). I find a slightly shorter club, produces consistently more solid shots than a slightly longer club.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

if you went thru a proper fitting session and they suggested you shorten them.
I would go ahead and do it.
If you just did some online fitting with some static numbers, I wouldn't shorten them yet. Instead, I would make a 1/2" mark on the grip and start playing them by gripping down.
See how that works out for you.
When you are ready to cut them down, take your clubs to a PCS certified clubmaker and get it done there while making sure flex, swing weight, lie are also adjusted accordingly.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

It depends on where you are cutting from. Butt cut shafts at -1/2" will not change the flex drastically, if at all....however if trimmed from the tip, I would imagine so. I'm not sure that clubfitters cut from the tip all that often because of this. Regardless, at -1/2" Your swingweight will change of course.

you are correct. callaway shortens from the butt. they don't tip it. with the 6.0 project x rifle shaft, the shaft actually becomes a little less stiff and lighter if that makes any sense.

i hit balls today and seriously hit the ball about 10 yards shorter, but straighter. I am going to play with them this weekend and see whether or not i made the right decision.

I am 5'6" in height. I have purchased two sets of irons in the past 6 years. Both sets were placed after a fitting session with a pro. Both sets were ordered -1/2". My first set was from Callaway, the second from Titleist.

I really can't compare my distances with my irons and a standard length set because I've rarely hit standard length clubs. When I do, I naturally choke down about a half inch.
Therefore, I can't say if I'm losing much yardage per club.

I do know that a -1/2" club seems to feel and look better to me at address than a standard length club.

I hope this helps.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

last year i got my new irons and i was 5 foot 1 (yes, that small) i had trouble controling where the club was. now i'm 5'9, and hitting the ball really well. i would try different shaft lengths in store, cuz their is some difference depending on your swing

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Not if cut from the butt...which is the proper place anyway.

I went out this morning w/ my new/old 43" driver and had a blast..I would spray all over the place, cut my old driver down from 45.5" and was amazed.

It's funny how the big companies convince us that the new 45.5 and 46" drivers are great, they are harder for us hackers to control. That means more $$$$ to instructors, more $$$ for videos, more $$$$ for books, all in the hope we can hit 300yds. It all comes around....

I can hit it 300yds easily w/ my Snake eyes driver, problem is that it's usally in the other fairway.

Goto the range and choke down 2" on your driver...you'll be smiling

FWIW...I don't buy into all the marketing BS....can you tell?

Note: This thread is 5860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!