IGNORED

Long irons should be hybrids?

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was reading some tips on golfdigest.com and saw this:

HANK SAYS
"Unless you drive the ball at least 275 yards, your long irons should be hybrids. They're much easier to get in the air for almost all golfers."

I certainly don't drive 275...I'm completely new to golf. What does he mean by hybrids replacing long irons? Do you agree?

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

Personally, if you're new to golf, I think hitting long irons is a great learning tool. Infinitely frustrating, probably, but this is a game that demands practice. Hitting long irons will tighten up your swing with your shorter irons. Start by teeing the ball up just slightly so it's easier to make contact.

Hybrids are very useful, but I suspect most people here learned the game with long irons. It's a struggle, but it pays off. Either way, make sure you at least give long irons a chance!

580xd driver
G10 15* hybrid
MP fli-hi 3 iron
MP30 4-PW
MPT 53 and 58 wedges DF 330 putterLikes: Traffic Lights (but not when they're red) Dislikes: Diamond Shreddies (why mess with a good thing?) Real Men hit 9-woods.

Hybrids vs. irons
My first set of clubs had 3, 4 and 5 hybrids instead of irons and I did hit the hybrids pretty well. But when I upgraded, I bought a set with no true hybrids (although the long irons are cavity back, wider sole, hybrid-like irons). The hybrids were easier to hit, but I get more satisfaction hitting a decent 3 iron shot than a good hybrid shot. Stupid I know, but that's just my opinion.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

• Administrator
Look for the thread "tired of people hating on the 3-iron."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like I said, I'm new to golf but I can already tell that hitting a 4 iron is hard. I can understand getting satisfaction from hitting a good shot with an iron as opposed to a hybrid; however, at this point in my game I'd just be happy with a good shot.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

I get more satisfaction from shooting a lower score.

I'm also a fan of higher trajectory shots. I have an all iron set, 1 iron~LW, and a set with no irons at all except for wedges (see sig). I play the one with no irons almost all the time. If I were starting out, I'd not waste any money on long irons. There is nothing like blading a 1 iron on the first hole to set the tone of the round.

R7 Superquad TP 1st edition
R7 ti 3,5,7 fairway metals
18*, 21*, 26* hybrids
#10 & #14 shortened fairway metals 29*, 35*
4 wedges of various brands 47~65* + foot wedge Danser or Zing 2 Beryllium putterPro V1

BINGO! A truer statement has never graced this forum. Thank you.

I have long irons. The only reason I have long irons is a hit them better than I hit hybrids. I have tried to add hybrids to my bag but always had a problem with hitting them left. I am a minority though. I believe whole-heartedly that 90% of golfers especially those that struggle and shoot scores consistanly above 90 should toss out those long irons and replace them with hybrids. The average golfer does not have the swing speed nor the skill to properly hit long irons consistantly. And really, at the end of the round who give a crap what clubs you used. All that matters is the score on the scorecard. If a pink club with purple polka dots dropped strokes off my score it would be in my bag, I'm not too proud. Whatever works, works. All the rest of that is all for the ego. And nothing screws up a golf game like ego.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I don't get what people have against long irons. I have no problem getting my 3 iron up in the air (and I'm now looking for a matching 2 iron to replace my otherwise unused 52). If you can't swing fast enough to get the ball up in the air, I can understand a hybrid--but if and only if you're actually more confident standing over the ball with it, and can produce good results.

Me, I always hook it, or hit a weak push that travels about 150. And I've topped them on numerous occasions--basically, I've lost all confidence with them. The day that clubmakers don't make the 3 iron anymore will be a sad day in the history of golf.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I agree with shooting a great score..of course anyone would be.

But I love the 2 & 3 iron. To me, if I'm hitting those well on the practice range before I go out for the round...I kind of have a sense of security knowing that my ball striking's good that day. some days I'll shoot in the 90's but have great ball striking..and that pleases me too knowing and seeing the progress that I've been able to make.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

• Administrator
BINGO! A truer statement has never graced this forum. Thank you.

That may be true for the two of you, but it's not true for everyone. I've been happier with some rounds near 80 than some rounds near even par because I struck the ball better in the higher scoring round or was able to solve a problem that'd been plaguing me, or whatever.

All that matters is the score on the scorecard.

Not to everyone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Being able to hit the long irons well is a great indicator that my swing is going well. If I used the hybrid for all my long fairway shots I would feel I had taken the easy option. When the 3 iron starts to fail on me I know it is time to work a little harder on the swing to get it back. Having the ability to play 2,3 and 4 irons well is a must if you want to play at a high level. Unless you use them, you will never realise the full shot making potential that they possess.

I think the reason that it is different for different people is the fact that different people are able to make different shots with different clubs. For example, I hit a 3 and 4 iron because I have many more trajectory options with those clubs compared to their corresponding hybrids. However, many people are more comfortable with a hybrid club and feel like they can score better with those clubs. To each their own.

There is one thing you cannot deny: Nothing beats the feeling of a solidly struck three iron that is tracking the pin.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I tried the whole hybrid thing, but it just was not for me. The three iron is back in the bag, and now i'm much happier and more confident over long shots. I am a long hitter though, so maybe the statement in the opening post is correct?
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Hank's statement just lacks intelligence. There are countless, great ball strikers that don't hit their driver 275 yards. Great distance does not equate ball striking abilities. (For once, just once, I wished people would understand that)

The problem I see and had was mindset. I could not get it out of my skull that less is more. The club is going to do the work for you. If you're mechanics are really sound, you should be able to hit your 3I and 4I.

I constantly alternate my LW, 2H and 3I, depending on the course and what I'm trying to accomplish. Hybrids are not a cure all. If your swing is crap, a hybrid is not going to fix that. Your blemishes won't disappear.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

If a pink club with purple polka dots dropped strokes off my score it would be in my bag, I'm not too proud.

I actually use a pink and black lady's flex Adam's Sand Wedge which seems to work for me (and I robbed it from my ex-girlfriend lol).

why does it have to be one or the other? I have a 19degree hybrid that I hit about 240, thats about 20 yards longer then my 3 iron. I use it as a kind of five wood. I carry Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 3-pw 56 and 60. I find the hybrid as an awsome club on long par fives that I miss the fairway. If I use the 3 or 4 iron i cant reach, and I have a hard time hitting a 3 wood out of they rough, so I grab the hybrid and let it fly.

Just buy hybrids and get good with them... I understand the argument of getting good with "hard to hit" clubs, so the other clubs seem easier, but hybrids and irons are different clubs, so one can do well with one but poorly with the other. My point is sticking with a long iron can be counterproductive, on developing your long game, if you plan on eventually buying a hybrid (Of course, this really depends on the person). Plus, hybrids are a lot of fun....

I don't know about you but having fun should be the priority. The skillset aspect will naturally come and you'll get better when you focus more on the "having fun" aspect because you don't put too much pressure on yourself. Try both out, see what's more enjoyable, and stick with that one.

Driver: Sasquatch Sumo - UST Proforce V2
18* Hybrid: G10 - UST V2 High Launch
22* Hybrid: Hi-Bore XL
Irons (4-PW): Fusion
56*: CG1460*: Vokey 260Putter: Studio Design #5Ball: Soft Feel

I was reading some tips on golfdigest.com and saw this:

This depends largely on your goals. I've seen people with hybrids down to the nine iron. I've seen people with no hybrids at all and a 2-iron in their bag. I think that you should pick the clubs that make you feel the most comfortable and that you can hit well. At the moment, I sometimes think I'm the only person transitioning to fewer hybrids and more long irons. If you're new, once you get a swing down, hit some long irons and some hybrids, and see which you prefer on whichever criteria is important to you. Ease of hitting? Great feeling when hit well? Ball flight? Workability? Ability to control ball flight? Some of these lead to long irons, others lead to hybrids, and, as with the combination of 14 clubs in your bag, the decision is entirely yours on whichever factors you choose.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!