IGNORED

"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" (and his other mental game books) by Bob Rotella

iacas
Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I forgot the one question I was going to ask...have any of you ever bought used books from Amazon? If so, did you have any problems with them?

Yes and No!

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

• 4 weeks later...
Just doing it is great slogan for a shoe, but how am I supposed to make it happen?

I find that is the Dangling of the Carrot to us. A golf doc can't get into unique and individual advice in a novel aimed at the masses, so these books explain why things happened they way they did. For instance, most books will tell the reader the education and science behind a particular 'mental breakdown' and all the reasons for it, but there are few that give you tools and habits to make sure this doesn't happen again. There are books by Dr. Gio, Dr. Cohn, winters, rotella, graham, and the list goes on but if you are looking for what makes YOU not do it again, you have to see them... 1 on 1.. and find out whats up with YOU. I don't normally advocate products online but I found the most comprehensive self education tool is the gamebook pro by golfpsych.com. For a simple approach that will require some self reflection, I recommend reading all the books by the doc's listed above and create your own idea.... then share with us all here!

I just started reading this book. I have actually bought 4 of Rotella's books. I have already read one and I think they are very good. As far as books on the mental side of things and actually "doing it," that is something that each person will have to figure out on his/her own. I think he does a very good job of relaying what happens and what needs to happen..then its up to the reader to make it happen.

It's kind of like buying a new club. All of the commercials and testing tells us what the club will do and should do, then it is up to us to make the club do those things.

Reading these books have really made me realize what I am lacking and what needs to change. I can see them helping me tremendously!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
I have read little red book, im currently reading hogans five lessons and the next one i read will be golf is not a game of perfect. I have never been out on a course and i think that reading these books will give me a good feel for all aspects of the game. five lessons mechanics have helped me a lot and perfect should give me the perfect mindset on the course. Looking forward to reading this.

I went with the audio version of this book. At 1.5 hours long and can listen to it in one two days of driving to and from work and to meetings. I found it made a big difference in my game - esp my putting. the concepts are easy to understand and can be taken to the course right away. I recall my first round after a listen of this book. I putted lights out and though I hit some very bad shots I manage to forget them fast and hit some truly incridible shots. One that I still have not forgotten, is picking dead patch on my fairway as my target, seeing the ball head straight for it and then drop out of sight. When i get to it I discover the dead patch was a sprinkler head and my ball was sitting on it. unreal.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

By doing the things he tells his name-dropped students to do.

I don't have a problem with the name dropping. So many of the names he drops are people you've never heard of.

I forgot the one question I was going to ask...have any of you ever bought used books from Amazon? If so, did you have any problems with them?

No problems whatsoever. Mind you, you're buying

through Amazon from an independent bookseller. I don't know how well Amazon vets its partners, but, like I said, I've had no problems.
I find that is the Dangling of the Carrot to us. A golf doc can't get into unique and individual advice in a novel aimed at the masses, so these books explain why things happened they way they did. For instance, most books will tell the reader the education and science behind a particular 'mental breakdown' and all the reasons for it, but there are few that give you tools and habits to make sure this doesn't happen again. There are books by Dr. Gio, Dr. Cohn, winters, rotella, graham, and the list goes on but if you are looking for what makes YOU not do it again, you have to see them... 1 on 1.. and find out whats up with YOU. I don't normally advocate products online but I found the most comprehensive self education tool is the gamebook pro by golfpsych.com. For a simple approach that will require some self reflection, I recommend reading all the books by the doc's listed above and create your own idea.... then share with us all here!

Well, I understand your point, but that wasn't my experience. I was able to apply some of his advice right away.

**** Overall, I loved Game Is Not a Game of Perfect . Putting Out of Your Mind , however, didn't do anything for me. It was just kind of redundant.

In the bag:
Cleveland Launcher 400cc
Callaway Hawkeye 3 wood, stiff
TaylorMade Burner Rescue hybrid, 19*, stiff
TaylorMade Burner Rescue hybrid, 22*, stiffCallaway X-14 irons, 4-SW, uniflex steel, +1", 2* uprightTitleist Vokey 56/8 sand wedgePing A-Blade putterCareer round: 16 over 88Best round...

I don't have a problem with the name dropping. So many of the names he drops are people you've never heard of.

I've ordered used golf books several times through Amazon. They all come from independent delaers but they are always in the condition described and are great prices. I've gotten several for dirt cheap (less than $5 plus shipping). I actually ordered a couple of things yesterday. Two sort of on a whim - one was $1.38+s/h the other was $.01+s/h. Both in "like new condition" (their description) from a reputable dealer. Can't go wrong there.

Well, I understand your point, but that wasn't my experience. I was able to apply some of his advice right away. **** Overall, I loved Game Is Not a Game of Perfect. Putting Out of Your Mind, however, didn't do anything for me. It was just kind of redundant.

Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect and Golf is a Game of Confidence I found very helpful. Putting Out of Your Mind was just okay. Some good stuff but it didn't really get me anywhere.

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

Just picked up this book and am only 4 chapters through. Haven't even gotten to the meat of the book yet, and I'm enjoying it. Definitely gives you a better perspective of playing the game, and enjoying yourself. Can't wait to read more, thanks for the recommendation everyone.

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

• 1 month later...
I personally enjoyed this book. It was a bit slow at the beginning but when you get to the middle and finish it you will be in a completely different mindset than when you began it. I am also very new, i started golfing in July for the first time ever...so i completely recommend this to any beginner who is struggling with the mental side of the game

Rapture Driver (12 degrees)
Rapture V2 4 Wood (17.5 degrees)
Rapture Hybrid (21 Degrees)
X-24 Hot Irons (4 through PW)
CG15 Wedges, 48, 52 and 58 degrees Method Putter #1 HX Hot Plus Golf Balls

• 2 weeks later...
I also would highly recommend Bob Rotella's books. As a matter of fact, I was so obsessed with "Your 15th Club" that I brought it around everywhere with me for a week (like a security blanket) and I chose "15thclub" as my facebook url. I still read parts of it every time I need a little advice. The part that helped me the most is when he talks about applying "battlefield medicine" to stop the bleeding. Highly recommended!

• 1 month later...
This is definitely the must read book for anyone who wants to be able to play consistently to the best of their ability. Its a book you read and and want to reread and slowly I found my whole attitude started to changeand I've become be more patient and accept I won't always play my best. Result I enjoy the game a whole lot more now and even while still challenging myself to improve.

This is definitely the must read book for anyone who wants to be able to play consistently to the best of their ability. Its a book you read and and want to reread and slowly I found my whole attitude started to changeand I've become be more patient and accept I won't always play my best. Result I enjoy the game a whole lot more now and even while still challenging myself to improve.

Well said. Sometimes he goes to far but the message is still valid. For example, this bit about anyone can toss a ball to someone with confidence so they can also judge the distance on a putt ... please. Talk about apples and oranges. Or the bit about intending to hole every putt. Overall though, enjoying the process is a great idea and has really helped my approach to the game.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

• 4 weeks later...
I read Rotella's "Golf is not a game of Perfect" this past week and was able to use some of his suggestions on the course on Tuesday. I have always been a pretty positive player, but Rotella definetly gives more insight on things. For example, I never really picked out a specific targert and didn't have a sound routine. I am working on that now. Also his insight on trying to hole out chips and pitches has helped me so far. Not saying it will always work, but I used his tips on a 50 yard pitch shot and almost holed it out. It was the third hole of my round and the ball hit the bottom of the flagstick. I just sat there and laughed for a minute. I am definetly going to buy his other books and add them to my collection.

Funny story about this. Back in 99 a group of friends and I took a road trip to Tennessee for some Spring mountain golf. On the ride down we put a cassette in of Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. We listen to a story of a tour pro who said he would here the crowd grown in his head before he missed his short putts. The next day we get to the course and my budddy misses I think every short putt he has. We get in the van to go back to the condo, not a mile from leaving the course he press eject on the radio tosses the tape out the window saying " I never ever heard anything in my head before a putt but after listening to that F ing tape that's all I heard all F ing day!". So we never got to hear the rest of the book.

In the Bag:
Driver:Adams Speedline F11 9 degree RIP Gamma 

3 Wood: Adams Fast 10 15 degrees Voodoo shaft
Hybrid: Irons: Mizuno MP59 Sensicore  XStiff

Wedges: Cleveland Gun Metal 52 56 degree

Putter: Rife: Belly Barbados Tropical

Ball: Titliest Pro V 1

his books are great. i read "golf is not a game of perfect" and it made total sense. i recommend it to others...definately one to check out...haha
In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've read several of the Rotella books and enjoyed them all. Not a Game of Perfect is an excellent read, but I have a hard time using it on the course, if I had the ability to not get mad and play within my game, I probably wouldn't have needed the book in the first place! It is a great book, I just have to work harder at implementing it.

On the other hand, the only book I've ever seen immediate results in my game from applying its principles was Putting Out of Your Mind. I've always been a decent putter, but in an attempt to improve my putting I put so many swing, alignment, stroke, and green reading thoughts in my head, I could barely hit the stupid ball anymore. Once I read this book, I immediately took the suggestions to the course, and have had immediate and lasting success. This is not to say I don't still work on my putting on the practice green, but once on the course, I pick a line, stare at the target, and just hit the stupid ball.

Its just that simple, no more thinking, no more second guessing. I've taken 2-3 stokes off my putting consistently and am hitting many more long puts than I used to. Plus my misses don't leave me with a 15 footer coming back. The best thing is I'm no longer terrified of the green. Just hit the stupid ball, and don't worry if it misses.

Now if he would just write a book call "How to Keep Your Drive in Your Own Fairway" I'd really be happy!

G15 9.0° Driver
G15 15.5º 3 Wood
G15 23° Hybrid
G5 Irons
Spin Milled 52.08°, 56.08° & 60.10° Wedges White Ice 2 Ball Putter NXT Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!