IGNORED

Grip Pressure

Note: This thread is 5661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Iron grip pressure?

• 5 (Baseball grip)
    • 3 (Medium grip)
    • 1 (Super light)

i interlock my fingers & grip the club really tight.

I do get really bad blisters on my hands

In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

Grip pressure was a key point for me on my last round.

The front nine had me scrambling a bit.....carded a 45. Certainly wasn't feeling a smooth swing.

Late on the back I was standing on the tee of a shortish par 4 with water all the way down the right side and in front of the green. I hit a hard & high drive that was tracking at the green....then it tailed off to the right into the hazard.

Highly pissed at myself....I teed up another ball and stepped to the rear of the tee box and took a few deep breaths and practice swings....lighter grip pressure....feeling the driver release.

Stepped back up and aimed at exactly the same target as before....made the same swing but this time with light grip pressure that allowed the club to release properly.

Ball was hit high and hard again....tracking at the green and tailed off to the LEFT this time....coming to rest even with the green on solid ground. I got up and down from there and was happy even though I carded a big number on the hole.

Next hole was played very solid.....all due to lightening my grip pressure which allows things to happen correctly during the swing.

Wound up shooting in the 80's...something I haven't done in a while....all due to making that one "on-course" correction.

Grip pressure is huge for me....directly related to arm extension, clubhead release, shoulder tension, etc.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Interesting topic since this something I've really been working on. I was told you should grip the club as if you're holding a child's hand. A 3 on a scale of 1-10/ I voted 2 above. I know that a lighter grip promotes passive hands, increased lag, and proper club release. I the past I've been using a strong grip (hands rotated to right). I noticed recently that with a strong grip it also increases the pressure I grip the club. So I've moved to a more neutral and softer grip. The improvements have been good on the range but I need to see how they pan out on the course.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I used a glove at the beginning of the season. In August I stopped using a glove and focused on grip pressure.

With the glove my grip was strong. Without the grip I've gotten used to feeling the club more and making sure I've got good tempo through the swing.

It's made a big difference in accuracy and distance. I'm hitting the sweet spot more as well.

My only problem now is weather. It's been fantastic in Ohio for golf this year. Now, the leaves are falling and we're dealing with aeration... just when things are coming together. I peaked too late this year.

I'm committed to playing as much as possible so... "whether the weather be fair or whether the weather be not. Whether the weather be rain or whether the weather be hot; I'll weather the weather whatever the weather, whether I like it or not!"

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

To me no one really understands "grip pressure" in the swing because the critical time is in the downswing and most people are not consciously aware of something which happens so quick. If you look at any pro with muscle tone you will see the lead forearm is very muscular, much more so than the rear forearm. Common sense tells me that all good players apply a lot of grip pressure somewhere in the downswing with the lead hand. Exactly where and why remains a golf mystery. Joe Dante's Book on golf stated all good players hold the club as tightly as they can in the downswing. I think he is right, but the why is speculation. Do not buy into conventional golf instruction which says too tight a grip inhibits the swing, where the upper body is not also tight. I took a club and held it as hard as I could in my left hand with the last three fingers and found this had NO effect on the hinging motion of that wrist. Test it yourself by so grasping and then hinging. Too bad the golf instructors never did this test. Some people may in fact be holding the club too softly as Dante believed allowing it to lay or fall open or closed at the top.

Since there is no way to measure grip pressure, I doubt anyone even knows if they are holding it tightly or lightly.

If at the top of the swing your fingers are being pulled open by the force of the club on the backswing, then you are gipping too lightly.

Other than that, just experiment with mentally holding a lighter or tighter grip till you find a pressure that works for you. Golf is an individual sport. Go with what works for you.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Assuming a right-hander, moderate grip pressure should be applied with the middle two fingers of your right hand and the last three on your left. Everything else should be lighter.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• Administrator

I grip my baseball bat fairly lightly as well as my irons.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I grip the heck out of my clubs, but not on purpose, it's a bad habit I'm working on.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

I brought about this topic because the butt of the club seems to play inside my left hand if I grip it too light.

Then you are definitly not tight enough.

Once you grip the club, that should be it. The butt of the club should never move or slide around in your fingers.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Between light (2)
and medium (3), but much closer to 3.

During a lesson this year the pro I work with thought I was gripping the club a little too tight, so I've worked on relaxing the grip a bit — among several other things — as part of my setup routine.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I don't know if this will make sense, but once I "set" the grip in my fingers I don't "grip" the club at all. The grip itself holds everything in place. There is no tension whatsoever in my hands as this will lead to tension in my forearms, biceps, shoulders....well you see where this is going.

I had one of my best rounds ever last weekend. I realized later that it was because there was no tension at all in my swing. I was just really in a good state of mind. Lack of tension will make my scores drop.

Sam Snead said to hold the club like a bird, just firmly enough that it doesn't fly away, not so firm as to wound it. Sure you will strengthen up during the downswing, but only because of the centrifical (sp?) force of the club. One day I hope to go gloveless like my man Freddie Couples.

Just went to the range and worked on grip pressure. A strong grip with real light pressure made it easier to draw the ball and a weak grip with fairly tight pressure made it easier to fade the ball. Kept a little more pressure on my left hand's last 3 fingers so the butt of the club didn't have as much play.

« Keith »

I grip my baseball bat fairly lightly as well as my irons.

Played softball as a kid and was always a slapper. Learned to play golf in my 20's and found that lighter pressure kept my arms and shoulders loose and all of a sudden I was pulling the ball w/ some character. Still.... light and medium are very subjective. I'd suggest you can grip as firmly as you like without any tension in your arms and shoulders.

for me, gripping too light had me getting under the ball or cutting it on impact and losing a bunch of distance. I keep a medium strength on the fingers and wrist during setup and back swing but it's fairly tight at impact. My main thought is about having a straight wrist and having my left hand and wrist making a backhand follow through to the target.

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

I grip the club to what feels natural to me which is probably in the middle of pressure somewhere.
However, I did experiment over the summer some with trying to go with a lighter amount of pressure and had no luck. For me it was nearly impossible for me to have a light amount of grip pressure and maintain that through impact. It was causing my balls to sail off to the right and just a lot of really bad mishits.
It was almost like I had to tighten up right at impact - too much stuff going on.

EDGE stand bag
S9-1 PRO S - Matrix XCON 6
Rapture 14 degree Aldila VS
DWS Baffler 2 Hybrid Adila stiff
A7 4 hybrid USTAXIVAP1 710 5-GW KBS StiffCG14 - 54.1262.07 Vokey Spin MilledWhite Ice BladeGolf BallsBlack TP & Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!