IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My swing is def a work in progress. One of the club pro instructors likes me so when i got done playing 18 yesterday he took me out and we played 9 holes together for free. My distances with my 60,56,52,P, and 9 iron are all consistent. Those are my average hits. Where i struggle is with my 7 iron down. I can hit my hybrid 4 200-210 consistently, sometimes thats mostly carry sometimes its a lower trajectory. My 3 wood goes about 220-230 on average. Ive hit it as far as 265 when i really flush it.

Actually, I only know how far I hit my wedges up to 7i. Everything else is kind of incidental, and my attitude is they go as far as they go. . .

On the range (last 2 weeks), I laser measured the targets and have a "rough average" from 50-100 shots each with range balls (These are the landing spot estimates for carry ):

60 (Close round target): partial swing LW

78 (Red flag): partial swing LW

102 (green flag): LW (3/4-ish swing)

125 (Farther round target) 3/4-ish 52 degree wedge (basically a full swing)

130-145 (Flat area in front of the 150 target) PW (49 degrees) and 9i (45 degrees)

150- 8i (sometimes farther than the hill sometimes just short of the front edge of the little hill)

170 (Front of the 180 green) 7i (just short) to 6i (mostly hits the leading edge)

180- 5i (Hits front to back of the flag), on the course this is normally my roll out to 200 yard club in dry warm weather (85F). Cold and damp mornings I sometimes only hit it 180-ish (65F).

210 (Blue flag)- carry 3W off the tee

232 (Yellow Flag on a little hill)- carry my driver off the tee sometimes a little short sometimes I hit over this hill which is something like 245 off the back. Mostly, they land the distance of the hill.

I also discovered that range balls really have a wide distance dispersion past 170 yards. The mat also helps "bounce" the balls up higher and go farther. For distance up to 135-140 yards range balls and pro-v1x on the course go about the same.

Not sure how to translate range ball distances to play ball distances for >170 yards? On the course, I typically hit a drive and LW to 52 on the average 390 yard par 4. If I screw up the drive (but not hitting a tree, which, thankfully, I have not done recently), then I need anything from PW up to 8i. My only 468 yard par 4 requires hybrid half the time and 4i the other half. 3i is only used for low punch shots as I can't hit it to distance as compared to my 5i. I got a GIR with a 3i one time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm gonna do a gap test at my lesson on Friday and see where I'm at, I'll post the results.

Been gripping down an inch or two but the ball is totaling further for all clubs, I'm betting swing speed has dropped but smash factor has gone up lots as strike is much better. This has been good for distance but problematic for judging distance.

I'm estimating I was (based on 10.5 deg Ping G20 driver):

105mph SS x 1.3 SF = 136.5mph Ball speed. 1 deg path (in to out), face open to path 2.5 deg, AOA 0. Low fade, which was a slice when I heeled it (quite a lot)

I'm estimating that's going to be closer to (based on 10.5 deg Ping G20 driver):

100mph SS x 1.4 SF = 140mph Ball speed. 5 deg path (in to out), face closed to path (0-5 deg) AOA 5 up. High push/ draw or hook (messing with a few things at the minute), bal should be fairly central on clubface now.

That should, in theory carry further (I think it does), but it won't roll as much. I'm not bothered about that though as it's much easier to control hitting with more loft being presented. Or at least that's what I've noticed on course.

Actually I should check what balls they're using at my Pro's range (he has his own bay, but they sue those yellow balls) or see if I can use my own real balls and we take his GC2 HMT to the practice ground for the gap test.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Actually, I only know how far I hit my wedges up to 7i. Everything else is kind of incidental, and my attitude is they go as far as they go. . .

On the range (last 2 weeks), I laser measured the targets and have a "rough average" from 50-100 shots each with range balls (These are the landing spot estimates for carry):

130-145 (Flat area in front of the 150 target) PW (49 degrees) and 9i (45 degrees)

150- 8i (sometimes farther than the hill sometimes just short of the front edge of the little hill)

170 (Front of the 180 green) 7i (just short) to 6i (mostly hits the leading edge)

180- 5i (Hits front to back of the flag), on the course this is normally my roll out to 200 yard club in dry warm weather (85F). Cold and damp mornings I sometimes only hit it 180-ish (65F).

232 (Yellow Flag on a little hill)- carry my driver off the tee sometimes a little short sometimes I hit over this hill which is something like 245 off the back. Mostly, they land the distance of the hill.

I also discovered that range balls really have a wide distance dispersion past 170 yards. The mat also helps "bounce" the balls up higher and go farther. For distance up to 135-140 yards range balls and pro-v1x on the course go about the same.

Not sure how to translate range ball distances to play ball distances for >170 yards? On the course, I typically hit a drive and LW to 52 on the average 390 yard par 4. If I screw up the drive (but not hitting a tree, which, thankfully, I have not done recently), then I need anything from PW up to 8i. My only 468 yard par 4 requires hybrid half the time and 4i the other half. 3i is only used for low punch shots as I can't hit it to distance as compared to my 5i. I got a GIR with a 3i one time.

You'll want to see if the balls are distance compensated.  So it could be as much as 25% off normal distances.  But, in general, the best way to know is to use your real balls in an empty field or just use a fairway on a empty day.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

On the range (last 2 weeks), I laser measured the targets and have a "rough average" from 50-100 shots each with range balls (These are the landing spot estimates for carry):

You'll want to see if the balls are distance compensated.  So it could be as much as 25% off normal distances.  But, in general, the best way to know is to use your real balls in an empty field or just use a fairway on a empty day.

True, but. . .

They don't appear to be limited flight balls, and I am thinking that they are probably anywhere from 3-10% shorter than a normal ball?

These longer distances are not that accurate anyway, because it could be just a mishit or bad path. Lots of bad stuff happens even on the range. I haven't found a way to test this except on the course, and I know I hit farther on the course than on the range.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think he's talking about carry as in air time. I'm up and down from 15, play with similar players. Some guys can really tag it. 250 total. But never 250 air time.  Nobody I have ever played with in 20 years has ever sent a 7i 170, and that includes club pros.

A 155-160 8i isn't uncommon, so why does a 170 7i obtain mythical status?

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guywoof

I think he's talking about carry as in air time. I'm up and down from 15, play with similar players. Some guys can really tag it. 250 total. But never 250 air time.  Nobody I have ever played with in 20 years has ever sent a 7i 170, and that includes club pros.

A 155-160 8i isn't uncommon, so why does a 170 7i obtain mythical status?

Good question, it's not.

7i is a tad harder to hit and should be proportionally longer, but a 200 yard carry on a 4i is mythical. :-D

Just kidding, it's the PGA Tour average, and plenty of people do hit that far, just not as accurately as a Tour player. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

LW: 100 SW: 115-125 GW: 140 PW: 150 9I: 160 8I: 170 7I: 180 6I: 190 5I: 205-210 4I: 220 3I: 225-240 3W: 250-265 depending if it's teed up D: 275-320 depending on conditions

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

• 3 weeks later...

D-(9.5): 290

3w-(15): 260

5w-(17): 240

4-(23): 210

5-(26): 200

6-(29): 190

7-(33): 175

8-(37): 165

9-(41): 155

P-(45): 140

50: 130

54: 110

58: 95

Driver: 240-250

3i: 200-210

4i: 190
5i: 175
6i: 165
7i: 150
8i: 135
9i: 125
PW: 110

Also at least 10 yards give or take, depending on a million factors; fatigue, weather, etc. I assumed everything on an average day, average weather, etc.

This thread never ceases to amaze me, either 80% of people here play every hole downhill, on the moon, can't hit a wedge or 3 putt every hole . Either that or they're lying about distances or their handicap.

I've NEVER seen anyone playing off 12 or higher carry a driver 250 (ever, not talking about average) or a 7I 170 (unless de-lofting).

Can people provide a source for their stats or are they just making them up? Least I've posted my own data!

I pull my numbers from Game Golf. I go by what the stats say my "typical" distance is. I rarely use anything over 7 iron because the courses I play are pretty short and the stats for the driver I've been using right now is based almost completely off of carry due to the wet ground and seeing my pitch mark within a yard of the ball.

Driver            262

Hybrid 18*     239

7 iron            172

8 Iron            165

9 iron            154

pw                145

wedge stats are skewed due to pitch/chip shots but including them anyway

aw                120

sw                104

lw                  77

I've no reason or inclination to boost my numbers, they are what they are. When I got fitted for my irons my 6 iron swing speed was 90, last time I got fitted for driver my swing speed was averaging 109. I average 2 putts per hole. As of tomorrow my handicap will be 19.6

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'll play along! Rough estimates based on the middle of the yardage range I use for each club. Nothing too special from me...

Dr: 245

3w: 220

3i: 195

4i: 185

5i: 175

6i: 165

7i: 155

8i: 145

9i: 135

PW: 125

51*: 110

56*: 90

60*: 70

Grant K

:tmade: R1 Driver

:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 3W

:nike: VRS Covert 2.0 Forged Irons 3-PW, AW 

:cleve: CG15 56*

:titleist: Vokey 60*

:odyssey: Metal-X Milled #2

:callaway: Chrome Soft

Here are the yardages I would expect on an solid shot.  I live about 3,400 feet above sea level so that might help me a little.

D:     280

3W:  250

2i:     230

3i:     215

4i:     200

5i:     185

6i:     175

7i:     165

8i:     155

9i:     145

50*    130

56*    115

65*     70   (delofted somewhat)

I pull my numbers from Game Golf. I go by what the stats say my "typical" distance is. I rarely use anything over 7 iron because the courses I play are pretty short and the stats for the driver I've been using right now is based almost completely off of carry due to the wet ground and seeing my pitch mark within a yard of the ball.

Be careful with game golf, my numbers are probably higher than my average "good" shot average on there as fliers from the rough can go miles and skew the stats, but equally knock downs can too. I had an 8 iron go 192 yards on a level surface with no wind a couple of weeks ago, not sure how, but the yardage was correct. My average 8i on a launch monitor is more like 140 carry, no way an 8i rolls 50 yards(this one didn't). If your average drive is going 260 (I take it these are total distances? Carry would be more important) how do you play off 20 HCP? Surely nearly every par 4 averaging 350 yards would be a "simple" 1/2 wedge to the front of the green and then another two shots from there? Where do the extra 18 shots per round come from? What's your GG profile?

Chris 

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

GAME GOLF - Jeremie Boop

Simple answer to why my handicap is what it is, wild. That average drive of 260 is skewed due to wet conditions having no roll out. I have 2-3 blow up holes a round that kill my score based on OBs/lost balls.

Here are some flightscope numbers I got when gapping the upper end of my bag Wednesday. Numbers are carry with range balls.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

"Wild" :-) I would agree, a bit bizarre how half go so well, yet half go miles left/ right :-O How many drivers do you have?? Looks like the Ping G25 goes miles further than the Biocell and nike driver. Good last round apart from the couple of blow ups!

Chris 

"Wild" I would agree, a bit bizarre how half go so well, yet half go miles left/ right

How many drivers do you have?? Looks like the Ping G25 goes miles further than the Biocell and nike driver.

Good last round apart from the couple of blow ups!

I have the Cobra for sell on ebay right now, I had the Nike for a few years and got it out to compare to the BioCell+. From there I saw that the Cobra was hurting and I got the G25. It is now the driver I use. I have an easy answer for you on the why half go well and the other half miss left/right. The ones that go left are from my lower body turning too slow and the ones to the right are from my lower body turning too fast. Also, yeah, that last round was pretty fun. I think I mentioned my handicap is due mostly to 2-3 blow up holes a round :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Not 100% sure how USA handicap works but in the UK you would probably be closer to 15 HCP I think, your last round would have took you from 20 to 17 alone. You would be one of the few whose US handicap would be higher than a UK variant I would think. I would say you've got room to reign your swing in a bit to improve accuracy, you might score better?

Chris 

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!